UofWaterloo Optometry Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perilla

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen any for the upcoming 2017 class so let's start!

Current Education level: Graduated from UW Honours Science, Minor in Biology
OAT score: TS: 400/AA: 380
GPA: 84.5%
Optometry Experience: Job shadowed an optometrist for 200+ hours / Job shadowed an optician for 60+ hours / Performed multiple eye screening and some exams to willing patients
EC: Intramural Basketball (4 years), Intramural Soccer (1 year), Volunteering in 3 campus clubs, couple more outside of Waterloo.

Members don't see this ad.

it's tooo eaarrllyy foorrr thiss nooooooooo i'm nervous!! haha

Thought I'd give this thread a bump for the upcoming Waterloo 2017 applicants :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Who is excited about this new CASPer test yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.... :(

I don't think we have to talk into the webcam, I think the webcam just needs to be on while we take the test but our responses are all typed

Reactions: 1 user
Current Education level: 4th Year Biology Student
OAT score: TS: 400/AA: 380
GPA: 82%

Last edited:
I will be applying with 390TS 380AA OAT score but my avg is 78 and I graduated. Don't have much a shot :( but I will still apply

I will be applying with 390TS 380AA OAT score but my avg is 78 and I graduated. Don't have much a shot :( but I will still apply

Your OAT score is pretty high and the minimum to be considered is 75%, so it's good that you are still applying!!

Current Education level: 3rd Year Science
OAT score: TS: 380/AA: 370
GPA: 89%
Optometry Experience: 1 year as an Optometric Assistant, 25+ hours job shadowing

Last edited:
Did any of you take those Casper practice tests you have to pay for? How did you guys study?

Did any of you take those Casper practice tests you have to pay for? How did you guys study?

Every applicant has to take it and if you are applying this year, I hope you already took it because the dates have past. It's different to the OAT that you can't really study for it. You just need to reflect on your personal experiences that you have had before hand and try the practice questions that are provided to you. Questions are similar to practice questions

Well I guess now that our AIF forms are submitted we might as well get this forum going to get a closer look at our potential classmates!

Current Education level: BSc Major in Biology (Graduated June 2016)
OAT score: TS: 370/AA: 370
GPA: 85%
Optometry Experience: 40+ hours job shadowing 2 optometrists, currently working as an Optometric Assistant
EC: Co-organized a local vision screening program, 250+ hours volunteering in Eye Care Centre at hospital, treasurer of school society, and some more general volunteering with CNIB, etc.

P.S. is there anyway we can change the name of this forum to class of 2021? It would be easier for other people to find it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Emails for interviews went out today incase anyone is wondering!

Do you know if interview emails all go out in one day or do they release them over the week?

I'm not sure on an exact number for people interviewed, but if I had to guess it'd be around 150? Also, I'm not sure if the emails all go out at the same time! My interview is scheduled for the earliest time slot, so maybe they still have some to send for the later slots?

I got an interview but I'm pretty sure everyone's interview is at the same time (from what I've read on past experiences). It starts at 8:30AM and ends around 12:30PM.
Unless you do an external interview, then it's different time obviously

I got an interview but I'm pretty sure everyone's interview is at the same time (from what I've read on past experiences). It starts at 8:30AM and ends around 12:30PM.

Last year there seemed to be different people at different times, but I could be wrong!

Are you guys trolling lol? I don't know anyone else that has heard back yet.. and typically aren't the invites sent out later in November?

Last edited:
lol are you guys trolling? I don't know anyone else that has heard back yet.. and typically the invites aren't sent out until late november

Not trolling! I got my invite November 21st this year and November 19th last year.

Not trolling! I got my invite November 21st this year and November 19th last year.
Hmmm it says right in the application instructions that we will hear back the week of november 30th!

Last edited:
I got my invite the 21st as well. It says I need to be bring my health residency card but I've been living in Arizona for the past 8 years. Is this going to be an issue? It says under the 'Non-Academic Requirement' tabs that I just need to be a citizen, not a resident.

I would email them to check... Waterloo is super helpful when it comes to answering any questions anyone may have about the application process! However, I am sure that they would accept a Canadian passport or possibly just a driver's licence. They mostly want to confirm that it's you and that you are Canadian.

lol it says right in the application instructions that we will hear back the week of november 30th

I believe it just said that we would hear BY December 1st at the latest! I could be mistaken though.

Current Education level: Graduated with a major in Biology and a minor in Biochemistry
GPA: 91%
Optometry Experience: Shadowed an optometrist for 2 months and then worked for an optometrist as an optometric assistant/receptionist for over 2 years
EC: apart of the mental health awareness organization, a program that tutors individuals in university classes and proceeds go towards outreach trips in latin america, a member of a mentorship program for first year students in my program, coached grade school girls basketball

Hello everyone, congratulations to those who received an interview! I haven't received an email for an interview and I was wondering if that means that I am no longer being considered, or if they are still sending out invitations. Also, I was wondering if they would send out a rejection email or they would update the quest status because mine currently states "We have received your application, but no decision has been made yet." For those who have received an interview, is that still your status?

Thank you so much

I believe it just said that we would hear BY December 1st at the latest! I could be mistaken though.

It says "After the initial review, the Admissions Committee may invite you to an interview, in which case you will be contacted via email during the week of November 30th."

Also they may be sending out invites differently for internal vs non internal applicants, nobody who goes to UW currently has received an invitation that I know of! Hopefully that means that we will soon though!

Current Education level: Graduated with a major in Biology and a minor in Biochemistry
GPA: 91%
Optometry Experience: Shadowed an optometrist for 2 months and then worked for an optometrist as an optometric assistant/receptionist for over 2 years
EC: apart of the mental health awareness organization, a program that tutors individuals in university classes and proceeds go towards outreach trips in latin america, a member of a mentorship program for first year students in my program, coached grade school girls basketball

Hello everyone, congratulations to those who received an interview! I haven't received an email for an interview and I was wondering if that means that I am no longer being considered, or if they are still sending out invitations. Also, I was wondering if they would send out a rejection email or they would update the quest status because mine currently states "We have received your application, but no decision has been made yet." For those who have received an interview, is that still your status?

Thank you so much

I don't think you need to worry at this point! your stats are AMAZING and most people have not heard back yet. We should find out sometime next week! I would maybe contact them if you haven't heard anything by December 2nd, as it says online that we will receive the invitation via email by December 1st (and the application instructions say we will be contacted during the week of November 30th)

Best of luck!!

I don't think you need to worry at this point! your stats are AMAZING and most people have not heard back yet. We should find out sometime next week! I would maybe contact them if you haven't heard anything by December 2nd, as it says online that we will receive the invitation via email by December 1st (and the application instructions say we will be contacted during the week of November 30th)

Best of luck!!
Thank you so much, and good luck to you, you have really wonderful statistics as well! I emailed admissions regarding their interview invitations, so if I hear back I will let you know!
And congratulations again to everyone who got interviews, you all have fantastic stats! :)

Last edited:
Thank you so much, and good luck to you, you have really wonderful statistics as well! I emailed admissions regarding their acceptance invitations, so if I hear back I will let you know!
And congratulations again to everyone who got interviews, you all have fantastic stats! :)

Yes please do let me know! Thanks so much :)

It says "After the initial review, the Admissions Committee may invite you to an interview, in which case you will be contacted via email during the week of November 30th."

Also they may be sending out invites differently for internal vs non internal applicants, nobody who goes to UW currently has received an invitation that I know of! Hopefully that means that we will soon though!

Good point about the UW students not hearing back... That seems to be the common denominator so hopefully you guys hear back soon. Your stats are both higher than mine and interviews are given off of OAT/GPA. I'm sure that means you will both be getting good news! Best of luck!

Hey guys!
I'm kinda stressing about not being invited for an interview yet! I'm wondering if it's because one of my references hasn't submitted his CAF yet? Do you guys know if that has anything to do with it?
This is my 2nd time applying, last year I was #15 on the wait list (9 were taken from the list, so in the end I was pretty close)
I'm not a student at Waterloo so that wouldn't have anything to do with it.
Last year I got my email on the 19th so I'm real stressed out!!!

Last year my interview started at 1130 and ended around 330, and there were people who arrived hours after me! it's really staggered so that not everyone comes at the same time, at least it was last year :)
they also said your interview time had nothing to do with your standing, but maybe they only sent out interviews so far for people who start at 830? haven't gotten my request yet so I'm hoping it will be coming next week!

Last year my interview started at 1130 and ended around 330, and there were people who arrived hours after me! it's really staggered so that not everyone comes at the same time, at least it was last year :)
they also said your interview time had nothing to do with your standing, but maybe they only sent out interviews so far for people who start at 830? haven't gotten my request yet so I'm hoping it will be coming next week!

Ohhh okay, I was wrong, my bad :( but this is good news for everyone else!!

Hey guys!
I'm kinda stressing about not being invited for an interview yet! I'm wondering if it's because one of my references hasn't submitted his CAF yet? Do you guys know if that has anything to do with it?
This is my 2nd time applying, last year I was #15 on the wait list (9 were taken from the list, so in the end I was pretty close)
I'm not a student at Waterloo so that wouldn't have anything to do with it.
Last year I got my email on the 19th so I'm real stressed out!!!
Just wondering if you have received an interview yet?

I just got an email for my interview! :) Mine will be at 1:30 pm, I hope everyone else hears back soon!

I just got an email too! Mine is at 11:30am :) Good luck everyone

Woo! Got my interview invitation today :)

Reactions: 1 users
How are you guys going to prepare for the interview? Any tips?

Congratulations to everyone who has received an invitation for an interview! I am writing final exams right now, but I wanted to encourage all of you to relax, but to do some preparation for your interview day. I cannot tell you any specifics about the interview process as current students are not allowed to reveal any details. Bring your parents with you if can. They are very proud of you, so let them be there to support you! Dress appropriately for the interview. Guys, wear a suit and tie. Girls, a business suit is appropriate and dress pants are fine. Don't wear uncomfortable high heels or you will be hobbling around later with sore feet.
Relax, be confident. You have made it this far! Research possible MMI questions and be prepared to answer them. If you have practiced answering possible questions and can respond to appropriate scenarios, you will be fine. Good luck to all of you and we will see 90 of you in September!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! I was just wondering when we have to do that police check? How exactly does it work? There is no due date on the waterloo website for the check.

Hey guys! I was just wondering when we have to do that police check? How exactly does it work? There is no due date on the waterloo website for the check.
Nvm, there's a document stating it is due on Jan 31

I know you found the date, but I figured I'd reply about how to get a criminal record check done for those who don't know! You have to go to your local police department and request one, or sometimes your police department may offer them online. Also l'm no sure whether this is true for everywheres, but my police department makes them cheaper if you need one for school so be sure to mention that!

Hey, does anyone know where we submit the police check to?

Hey, does anyone know where we submit the police check to?

Hmmm... So I did some looking into it and realized that they don't have a CRC submission listed for this year in important dates? The January 31st is listed from last year I believe. Last year they informed us that we needed it done when they sent the interview request! I will send an email to them to inquire and will let you guys know what they say.

It's due on Jan 31st according to this: https://uwaterloo.ca/optometry-visi...book_rationale_of_the_police_check_policy.pdf

"Applicants who are invited to an admissions interview will be advised that they must provide the School of Optometry and Vision Science with a CRC (dated within the prior six months) by January 31st of the year of admission in order for it to be considered along with other information relevant to the admission process."