UoP, California vs. Pacific U, Oregon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwant2bapharmer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I wasn't able to find a thread that compares these two schools which have very similar names. I was just wondering if anyone applied to both schools and is having a conflict of which school they would go to? Or any comments from current students? They're both 3-year accelerated PharmD programs.

Thanks!!

UoP:
Been around longer
Based on a grading system
Unit system
Located in Stockton (known to be a dangerous and ghetto city)

Pacific:
Newer school but main campus has been around for a while
Based on a P/NP system
Modified block system
Located in Hillsboro (seems safe and quiet)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I wasn't able to find a thread that compares these two schools which have very similar names. I was just wondering if anyone applied to both schools and is having a conflict of which school they would go to? Or any comments from current students? They're both 3-year accelerated PharmD programs.

Thanks!!

UoP:
Been around longer
Based on a grading system
Unit system
Located in Stockton (known to be a dangerous and ghetto city)

Pacific:
Newer school but main campus has been around for a while
Based on a P/NP system
Modified block system
Located in Hillsboro (seems safe and quiet)

If I could pick, I'd rather go to UOP because I know that Pacific, Oregon has a P/NP system which is harder to find residency with. That is partly why I denied my interview invite. I'm not sure if UoP has a P/NP system either...assuming that they don't, then I'd stick by my answer. I'm biased though, because I plan to go on residency.

If I could pick, I'd rather go to UOP because I know that Pacific, Oregon has a P/NP system which is harder to find residency with. That is partly why I denied my interview invite. I'm not sure if UoP has a P/NP system either...assuming that they don't, then I'd stick by my answer. I'm biased though, because I plan to go on residency.

Thanks, that is really true. With a grading system, Residency programs are able to weigh GPA into the mix. However, I talked to some Pacific students in Oregon that have been matched to residencies, so it's not impossible. But it is definitely harder and more competitive because they do not have a GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
I was hoping to ask the interview committee at my Pacific U interview in January about the residency problem. I too would like to do residency post-grad, but the P/NP seems like quite a problem. If anyone has more information about it, please let me know!

I would rather go to oregon purely based on the difference in tuition.

I've been impressed with UOP grads...lots of good rotation sites, cool regional networking thingamajig that my students have to scoot out to every now and then.