UOP Open House

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cystapharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who here went to the UOP Open House thingy last Saturday? Boy were they so disorganized. None of the groups were on track. Great school though. Lovely campus.

Members don't see this ad.

how was it? was it informative?

I did. I enjoyed listening to the Dean speak and about financial aid. I think it was really nice of them to answer specific questions from us in the crowd even though it was a large group. The only part I disliked was the student panel. I felt that the entire panel (with the except for one student) did not answer sincerely, almost as if mocking us prepharms. When someone asked, "how should we prepare for the writing sample/how would you approach a question you're not familiar with/etc", one student in the panel said "it's really easy. honestly, if you can speak and write in english, you'll do fine. write an intro, conclusion, and a BODY. they just want to make sure you are able to spell the word "the" correctly. really, don't sweat about it." Well, that's not helpful at all! And when asked about "What areas of pharmacy are you most interested in", another student in the panel answered "well i know which area I don't want to be in: Retail. I hated it so much, I swear I'm never going back there again. I don't want to stand there and listen to a woman yelling at me for something that's not my fault." and then later says "I'm not getting a PhD because I like to be around people, I dont want to work alone by myself, which is why I'm in the PharmD/MBA". So you're saying.. you don't want to be in retail.. WHY? That's where you'll be around the most people.

Okay.. enough of blowing up. If I get in, I will change the way student selections are conducted for the student panel, and I'll make sure to bring professionalism and good judgement to the panel. Anyone had a different experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
i flew from SoCal to Sacramento airport that morning. I rented a car and started my drive down the 5 freeway. During my drive to Stockton, I saw nothing but farm fields and lots of cows and boy did they smell!!! Once I reached Stockton, I went to the Burger King close to the campus and had a burger. To tell you the truth, I was scared for my life. The parking lot was scary, with all the suspicious people loitering around. After finishing off my breakfast, I went outside to find my rental car was still there! After reading somewhere that Stockton ranks 2nd in the nation in car thefts, I was afraid of the worse. Once I reached the school, I had a hard time finding parking because there happend to be some other event that morning also on campus. First during the day, we watched presentations given. Then we had lunch outside on the lawn in the scorching heat. End of the day, I watched as students kissed admissions counselors' asses, metaphorically. Other than that, the whole day was great!:cool:

I did. I enjoyed listening to the Dean speak and about financial aid. I think it was really nice of them to answer specific questions from us in the crowd even though it was a large group. The only part I disliked was the student panel. I felt that the entire panel (with the except for one student) did not answer sincerely, almost as if mocking us prepharms. When someone asked, "how should we prepare for the writing sample/how would you approach a question you're not familiar with/etc", one student in the panel said "it's really easy. honestly, if you can speak and write in english, you'll do fine. write an intro, conclusion, and a BODY. they just want to make sure you are able to spell the word "the" correctly. really, don't sweat about it." Well, that's not helpful at all! And when asked about "What areas of pharmacy are you most interested in", another student in the panel answered "well i know which area I don't want to be in: Retail. I hated it so much, I swear I'm never going back there again. I don't want to stand there and listen to a woman yelling at me for something that's not my fault." and then later says "I'm not getting a PhD because I like to be around people, I dont want to work alone by myself, which is why I'm in the PharmD/MBA". So you're saying.. you don't want to be in retail.. WHY? That's where you'll be around the most people.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Hahahaha, we must have been in the same group. I couldn't believe some of the responses that two of the students had.

Overall, I enjoyed the open house. The Dean is great and the admissions and financial aid presentations contained some good info. I have a severe dairy allergy though, and every sandwhich they brought in had a slice of cheese on it. Needless to say, I was starving once 2 o'clock rolled around.

It was good to see the campus and the facilities though and it definetly motivated me to work hard this semester. Everyone there seemed friendly and easy going.

Car theft is nothing. South Sacramento, which is only about 35 minutes away from Stockton, has one of the highest homicide rates in California. If you look in their city newspaper, its almost daily you come across a new homicide case, with some people gunned down for no apparent reason. I haven't been to the ghetto part of Stockton yet but I heard it's pretty bad.

Car theft is nothing. South Sacramento, which is only about 35 minutes away from Stockton, has one of the highest homicide rates in California. If you look in their city newspaper, its almost daily you come across a new homicide case, with some people gunned down for no apparent reason. I haven't been to the ghetto part of Stockton yet but I heard it's pretty bad.

yes, it can be horrible. that's why i'm quite hesitant to attend, since i'd be spending 3 years there.