Naruto's Molar

2+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2018
Hey everyone, I'm trying to decide between these two schools and am having a tough time. I appreciate the help/insight!

School 1: UOP

Pros:
  • Done in three years
  • Would be closer to my family
  • There seems to be a strong sense of community and lots of faculty support
  • Strong clinically

Cons:
  • I don't like the area that much (safety & not close to areas for outdoor activities)
  • Very expensive tuition and cost of living
  • Wouldn't have a car so I wouldn't be able to go too far from campus/ BART stations
  • Some people say it's harder to specialize?

School 2: OHSU (OOS)

Pros:
  • Great area with lots of outdoor activities available close by, familiar with Oregon and Portland because of undergrad here
  • About ~$80k cheaper
  • My roommate is going there so finding a living situation that I enjoy would be a lot easier
  • Could have a car, so less confined to the city
  • My girlfriend and I are thinking of living in OR after school
  • Also strong clinically

Cons:
  • Further away from family
  • Four years instead of three
  • Pass/fail is eh for me
  • The faculty members were nice but didn't seem as outwardly supportive.

Summary: I loved the atmosphere at UOP and it seemed like they really cared about their students, plus I was excited to move closer to home & family. A couple of the dentists I've shadowed/talked to that went to uop had nothing but great things to say. I was fully planning to go there until I realized that OHSU would actually be cheaper even with oos tuition. Now I am leaning towards OHSU because it's cheaper, there's more freedom to do different hobbies of mine, and I could be with some of my friends. I also feel like the $80k might end up washing out when I take the extra year of work and loan repayment that I would get by going to UOP into consideration.

macsak

2+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2018
Hey everyone, I'm trying to decide between these two schools and am having a tough time. I appreciate the help/insight!

School 1: UOP

Pros:
  • Done in three years
  • Would be closer to my family
  • There seems to be a strong sense of community and lots of faculty support
  • Strong clinically

Cons:
  • I don't like the area that much (safety & not close to areas for outdoor activities)
  • Very expensive tuition and cost of living
  • Wouldn't have a car so I wouldn't be able to go too far from campus/ BART stations
  • Some people say it's harder to specialize?

School 2: OHSU (OOS)

Pros:
  • Great area with lots of outdoor activities available close by, familiar with Oregon and Portland because of undergrad here
  • About ~$80k cheaper
  • My roommate is going there so finding a living situation that I enjoy would be a lot easier
  • Could have a car, so less confined to the city
  • My girlfriend and I are thinking of living in OR after school
  • Also strong clinically

Cons:
  • Further away from family
  • Four years instead of three
  • Pass/fail is eh for me
  • The faculty members were nice but didn't seem as outwardly supportive.

Summary: I loved the atmosphere at UOP and it seemed like they really cared about their students, plus I was excited to move closer to home & family. A couple of the dentists I've shadowed/talked to that went to uop had nothing but great things to say. I was fully planning to go there until I realized that OHSU would actually be cheaper even with oos tuition. Now I am leaning towards OHSU because it's cheaper, there's more freedom to do different hobbies of mine, and I could be with some of my friends. I also feel like the $80k might end up washing out when I take the extra year of work and loan repayment that I would get by going to UOP into consideration.
cheapest

Reactions: 3 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.