UOP's 3 yr program and HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HStudent

Master of the Universe
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, but any one know how/if the HPSP works with UOPs 3 yr dds program? If accepted for the 3 yr year-round dds program could you apply for a 3 yr hpsp scholarship? Thanks for any answers.

Members don't see this ad.

My brother in law did the 3yr Army HPSP and went to UOP. It is possible, but I think they will say you have to do the 4 yr because of how they work the tuition payment schedule.

I will see if I can get more info from him next week when I see him.

Just curious, but any one know how/if the HPSP works with UOPs 3 yr dds program? If accepted for the 3 yr year-round dds program could you apply for a 3 yr hpsp scholarship? Thanks for any answers.

I have spoken to the powers to be in the Navy who deal with the HPSP and HSCP scholarships about this exact question. The way the scholarships are is that if you go to a school and the military funds your education for 36 months or less, this is a 3 year scholarship. Then you owe the military 3 years active and 8 total years active/inactive. If the military funds your education for 36 months plus 1 day, then this is a 4 year scholarship. Then you owe the military 4 years active and 8 total years active/inactive.

So, one advantage of UoP is that you get your education in under 3 years as compared to everyone else in 4 years. this means that for the same education you owe 1 less year on active duty since all you have to do is take out a 3 year HPSP for the same education.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to UOP with a three year HPSP from the Navy...great deal

My contract at Pacific is three years of active duty for three years of dental school and five years inactive ready reserve. It is such a great deal, I can hardly believe there are only a few of us doing it. If you ask the guys who are getting ready to graduate if they would go back and do the military if they could, a lot of them say they would do it in a heartbeat.

Pacific is dang expensive and the HPSP is bar none, the best scholarship in the land.

Thanks for the quick answers; good info. + its always nice to know that someones actually done this and its not just possible in theory :D SDN is great!

And Jmick101, I bet more people would do it if they could... get accepted to UOP that is :laugh:

Wow! Thats so worth it... Over $300 000 saved for a three year commitment.
+ Supplies/books/et cetera-- at least $75000 per year. And then the stipend is another $25000. So $100 000 x 3 = $300 000 right there. Throw in interest payments (yuck) and to pay it off at 6.8% (Stafford loan rate...) over 10 years, you'll have paid over $114000 just in interest... so total amount saved is up to $414000. Of course if you decide to do an AEGD program, well that wont add to commitment (neutral year) and during training you'll be making $30000 more per year than a civilian; If you do a two year AEGD, another $60000 ahead; nearly $475000 for a 3 year commitment. Tell that to your classmates and I bet they will really start wondering why they didn't take the HPSP :p They only need to be able to make around $260000 per year average for their first three years out of AEGD to break even :smuggrin:

Yeah, I dunno how the military is doing it this school year. I think they are requiring 4 years for some now, though some have gotten the 3 year programs. For instance, some of us Army guys still get 3 years, while the Air Force has a 4 year commitment. Not sure about the Navy.

In the past, the AF gave a 4 year scholarship to those going to UOP. I was just informed that the recruiters are meeting soon to discuss this with AFPC and it may change. Stay tuned.

I am attending UOP and signed a 3yr AF HPSP contract. Every recruiter that isnt from the bay area seems to think you have to sign a 4yr contract regardless. Go AF!

I am attending UOP and signed a 3yr AF HPSP contract. Every recruiter that isnt from the bay area seems to think you have to sign a 4yr contract regardless. Go AF!
Good to know. I talked with our people at AFPC and they have felt like giving a 4 year HPSP to a person going to a 3-year school didn't make any sense for years. They are recommending this be changed, so hopefully, it will soon.

Good to know. I talked with our people at AFPC and they have felt like giving a 4 year HPSP to a person going to a 3-year school didn't make any sense for years. They are recommending this be changed, so hopefully, it will soon.

Yeah, I dunno how the military is doing it this school year. I think they are requiring 4 years for some now, though some have gotten the 3 year programs. For instance, some of us Army guys still get 3 years, while the Air Force has a 4 year commitment. Not sure about the Navy.

If the applicant takes the $20k bonus they will owe 4 years. If they don't take the bonus they will only owe 3 years.

So while you are working for the Army/Navy/Airforce do you get the advanced training that some people get after completing dental school?

So while you are working for the Army/Navy/Airforce do you get the advanced training that some people get after completing dental school?

If you apply for it and a willing to stay in for a longer period of time. If you want to know more search the threads about specialty training.

I'm a little confused on how the 3 year hpsp works at UOP. Did those who received it sign up for the 3 year hpsp initially? Or did they fill out the paperwork for the 4 year hpsp and then switch it to the 3 year once they decided on UOP.

I'm in the process of doing the paperwork but do not have an official acceptance from UOP yet, so I am being advised to fill out the paperwork for the 4 year so that it is more inclusive. They then said if I decide on UOP I will be able to switch to a 3 year HPSP scholarship. I'm a little hesitant to sign the paperwork with the 4 year HPSP on it, however, considering UOP is my top choice. Can anyone clarify how their process worked?

Thanks!

I'm a little confused on how the 3 year hpsp works at UOP. Did those who received it sign up for the 3 year hpsp initially? Or did they fill out the paperwork for the 4 year hpsp and then switch it to the 3 year once they decided on UOP.

I'm in the process of doing the paperwork but do not have an official acceptance from UOP yet, so I am being advised to fill out the paperwork for the 4 year so that it is more inclusive. They then said if I decide on UOP I will be able to switch to a 3 year HPSP scholarship. I'm a little hesitant to sign the paperwork with the 4 year HPSP on it, however, considering UOP is my top choice. Can anyone clarify how their process worked?

Thanks!

What they said makes absolute sense. You're filling out an application, not signing a contract. What if you don't get into UOP, then you're stuck with a 3 year HPSP at a 4 year school. Fill out the app for the 4 year, then let them know what school you're applying to.

I know it's been a few months since anyone replied to this thread, but...

When I talked to my Navy recruiter, he said that UOP is going to be 4 years because, although a 3 year school, it has 4 billing cycles (4 billing cycles = 4 years active, 8 total)

So is it possible to take a 3 year HPSP for UOP then? Anyone with recent HPSP (2009, 2010 cycles) know the answer to this? Thanks!

When I talked to my Navy recruiter, he said that UOP is going to be 4 years because, although a 3 year school, it has 4 billing cycles (4 billing cycles = 4 years active, 8 total)

So is it possible to take a 3 year HPSP for UOP then? Anyone with recent HPSP (2009, 2010 cycles) know the answer to this? Thanks!

Yep it may be still possible, but its a heck of lot harder than it used to be. You basically have to be approved as an exception

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=728590

The services may do things different - so ask your service specific recruiter. What you described above is not how the Army does it.