Upcoming GRE Writers - Vent and Celebrate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaitingKills

Rockstar
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have the impression that there are quite a few of us cramming for the GRE (general and psych). I figure we could use our own thread to vent, destress, celebrate or cry (hopefully not).

Sooo here are some questions to start out...

What test are you writing?
When are you writing it?
Is it a rewrite?
If yes, old score (if your comfortable with disclosing)?
What are you hoping to score?
What are you doing to prepare/how are you feeling?

Then after you write, are you dancing or crying?

Me...

Writing - General
When - November 6th
Rewrite - Yes (grrr!)
Old Score - 520V, 560Q, 5.5W
Hoping to score - 560+V, 670+Q, 5.5+W
How are you preparing/feeling - I'm studying as much as I can with cue cards and three books I bought. I also am seeing a tutor 3 times a week. I'm feeling way more prepared this time around, but not nearly prepared enough yet. Hopefully by the time I write (3 weeks from now) I'll be through my math book and know another 200-300 words. I'm also playing balderdash with my friends once a week with GRE words (rather than the proper balderdash words) to help memorize them associated with funny definitions.

So my expectations for scores aren't as high as most of you here but honestly, I'll be really happy with anything over the magic 1200. I figure if I keep my expectations on a realistic level anything greater than that is gravy (I'm really hoping for the gravy lol!!!).

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking the GRE subject psych test.

I took it 14 years ago and got a 550 with no studying. I took a practice a week ago with no studying and got a 620. Boo!

I am taking it for real Nov. 3.

Hoping for a 700+ (90 percentile +). I think I can do it.

I already took the general GRE...once. Those number keep me competitive. Hopefully the subject test won't usurp that.

I took it 14 years ago and got a 550 with no studying. I took a practice a week ago with no studying and got a 620. Boo!

The only advice I can give is know your bio psych and development theories. I took it last year with very little studying and did well enough that I'm not going to retake, but all I can remember is the amount of bio questions (my definite weakness).

Members don't see this ad :)

The only advice I can give is know your bio psych and development theories. I took it last year with very little studying and did well enough that I'm not going to retake, but all I can remember is the amount of bio questions (my definite weakness).

Good luck Mr. Waiting Kills! Get that 1300, instead of the 1200, just for good measure. Thank you for the encouraging study advice. I do need it. ;)

Good luck Mr. Waiting Kills! Get that 1300, instead of the 1200, just for good measure. Thank you for the encouraging study advice. I do need it. ;)

Thanks hun... I think we all need good advice lol. I'm sure that you'll do better on the real test, I have for all my GRE tests. The thing that sucks about the subject test is you have to wait for the results. Lol, I paid the extra money to get my score by phone. Let us know how it goes for you.

And just on a side note, I'm a girl so that would make me Miss WaitingKills :D

Writing - Psych

When - November 3rd

Rewrite - No

Hoping to score - 90th percentile or bust!

How are you preparing/feeling -

I started by essentially rewriting the entire Princeton Review book into flash cards, a stack for each chapter from the book (developmental, personality, etc.). I grab a few stacks to take with me to work every day, and go over them in spare time, then review at least one big stack (e.g. social) or a couple of little stacks (ethology, research design) each night.

I'm going to take the practice test ETS sent on the 27th, fine-tune my studying for the next week to focus on my weaknesses, then try to get a good night's sleep on the 2nd. I took off on the 2nd, so I'll probably spend most of the day doing anything but studying, but everything I can to de-stress (gym, play with the dog, read something else ... drink ...)

Overall, I feel pretty good about it. Since I'm applying mostly to MA/MS programs at this point, the test is only going to serve to support my application since I've been out of school for a while. Hopefully it will say, "this guy's been out of it, but he shows tremendous aptitude for the field." Hopefully it won't say, "This guy should go back to undergrad and maybe lay off the glue-huffing." Fingers crossed.

I am taking the GRE Psych subject test
Nov. 3
never taken it before
I'm hoping to score 700+...we'll see though

Yeah I'm getting kinda nervous about it - I've just been reviewing my old Intro book but not as thoroughly as I would have liked by this point in time. My personal statement has really been taking over my life to be quite honest. None of my schools required the subject test but a lot of them strongly recommended it. I'm hoping to do well enough that it can supplement my Psych GPA.

Psych GRE Nov 3rd.

Took the General GRE about a month ago. Studied hard to strengthen my math score and it paid off.

Been studying pretty intensively for the subject test as my psych background is not as deep as many of yours. I try to read and study before falling asleep so that the material sinks in overnight. It seems to be working pretty well.

Practice tests (Kaplan, Princeton and ETS) have all been in the 700 range so my goal is to be 700+ on the actual test. Took an Arco practice test and bombed it so I'm not sure what that's about, but I have to guess that the ETS practice test is a much better indicator.

Speaking of the ETS practice test, it was a lot harder for me than the Kaplan and Princeton one although my scores across the tests were comparable. I can do the Kaplan and Princeton ones in about 1 1/2 hours. The ETS one took 2 1/2 hours. I would guess that the difference is a function of the Kaplan and Princeton tests reflecting the material in their books but it is hard to know for sure.

Just booked this today; was really debating whether or not to re-write.

What test are you writing? GRE General

When are you writing it? October 29th

Is it a rewrite? Yes :(

If yes, old score (if your comfortable with disclosing)? 680V, 730Q, 3.5 (32nd percentile-- ouch!)
What are you hoping to score? 680V(ish), 740Q, 5.5-6 AW

What are you doing to prepare/how are you feeling? Writing tons and tons of essays, reviewing the math concepts I know less well, and crossing my fingers. :) I'm not really nervous about anything except the writing section.

How's everyone doing?

I'm still plugging away. The more I study, the more I realize that I don't have nearly enough time to be 'well' prepared. I don't think I'd ever have enough time :scared:

I guess the only thing I am trying to stay focused on is that I'm way more prepared than when I did it last year. Hopefully that will reflect in my score.

Good luck to all of you writing soon.

How's everyone doing?...

Okay. Feeling a little burned out on the studying and I still have almost two weeks to go (Psych GRE on 11/3). Took a break last night and read Viktor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning. An amazing book.

Back to the studying tonight though...

Okay. Feeling a little burned out on the studying and I still have almost two weeks to go (Psych GRE on 11/3). Took a break last night and read Viktor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning. An amazing book.

Back to the studying tonight though...

Wow, that's showing committment to really knowing existential theory. Good job!

I went through the material secitons of both the ARCO book and the Princeton book and have creating a fat stack of flashcards. They have been helpful. I am getting a bit tired of the flashcards.

There always seems to be more to know in the vastness of this field. My practice tests have been increasingly stronger. I scored really high on my last one (700+) but I was glancing at the Barron's practice tests and I was totally clueless on several questions which was disheartening. I'll use that panic reaction to study some more! :scared: <----me*

Thanks for the advice. I luckily know the bio stuff well. I struggle on the social theory. Most of it is so common sense but I just don't know the terminology.

Members don't see this ad :)
same here. Good luck, Zelda.

How is your studying coming along?

I've got 9 days till mine. Not excited. But I totally agree, I can't wait till it's over! Hopefully it'll be a really really happy day!

Wish you both the best, I'm sure you'll do great!

same here. Good luck, Zelda.

How is your studying coming along?

Okay. I've had a lot of other stuff on my plate over the last couple of weeks so I haven't been able to put in as much time as I would like, but I think I'll be fine.

I want to use the next few days to brush up on some weaker areas and then I will just relax.

How about you?

I've got 9 days till mine. Not excited. But I totally agree, I can't wait till it's over! Hopefully it'll be a really really happy day!

Wish you both the best, I'm sure you'll do great!

Same to you! How has the studying been going? Do you feel like you've been making progress?

Done! Thank God. Now to wait a few weeks for my analytic writing score... *chews fingernails*...

I'd advise you all to look at official ETS copies of past GRE Psych exams ...I think at least one is either on the website or was mailed along with your registration information. I found a lot of the questions on the real test to be pretty random and not covered in study books like Princeton Review.

I'd advise you all to look at official ETS copies of past GRE Psych exams ...I think at least one is either on the website or was mailed along with your registration information. I found a lot of the questions on the real test to be pretty random and not covered in study books like Princeton Review.

I second that! I took the ETS Psych practice test last night, and have been studying the Princeton Review book for a few weeks ... definitely a handful of question s I didn't expect after reading the PR book pretty much cover to cover, and rewriting it in flash cards.

Agree on the ETS practice test. It's different in more ways than one. To quote myself from earlier in the thread...

...Speaking of the ETS practice test, it was a lot harder for me than the Kaplan and Princeton one although my scores across the tests were comparable. I can do the Kaplan and Princeton ones in about 1 1/2 hours. The ETS one took 2 1/2 hours. I would guess that the difference is a function of the Kaplan and Princeton tests reflecting the material in their books but it is hard to know for sure.

To add to that, I also think that the ETS test was more thoughtful (deeper interpretation-type questions vs. fact-oriented questions).

Good luck to everyone!

P.S. Anyone got more than one copy of an ETS practice test?

I've only been able to find the one that they send you (which I believe is the same as the one on the website).

P.S. Anyone got more than one copy of an ETS practice test?

I've only been able to find the one that they send you (which I believe is the same as the one on the website).

I have only been able to find the one. The one they send IS the one from the website.

They do that so the test remains (mostly) secure. It's illegal to share specific test questions, yadda yadda yadda. Apparently the EPPP is kept even more under lock and key than the GRE. Hard to believe...

They do that so the test remains (mostly) secure. It's illegal to share specific test questions, yadda yadda yadda. Apparently the EPPP is kept even more under lock and key than the GRE. Hard to believe...

I studied by watching the YouTube video of one of RayneeDeigh's hand puppet taking the subject test (there was no way of knowing who the puppeteer was but the puppet zipped through the test without a problem). It was in many installments, the camera angles were funny, and there was this wild Artie Shaw big band music playing in the background, but the whole test was there. There was also a filmed confrontation between the puppet and the test proctor. However, since the proctor could find no rule prohibiting puppets, the puppet was allowed to stay!:laugh:

They do that so the test remains (mostly) secure...

Yeah. I figured there was only one available but then joetro (a few messages up) made it sound like there might be more than one out there so I thought I'd better ask in case I missed anything.

I am so looking forward to the psych GRE test tomorrow just so that I'll be done studying for it!

To everyone else writing the Psych Subject Test tomorrow --

GOOD LUCK!

I am so looking forward to the psych GRE test tomorrow just so that I'll be done studying for it!

To everyone else writing the Psych Subject Test tomorrow --

GOOD LUCK!

Good luck to all of you as well!! Zelda, thanks for your assist! Let's connect after the fact and pat eachother on the back. :)

Well I took the subject test. Wow. A tough and tricky experience. I needed every last minute of the 2 hours and 50 minutes.

I can say that I did not kill on that test--although I do not think I tanked it.

A big, fat, "ditto," socialcog. At the risk of being a poor craftsman blaming his tools, I can say with certainty that the Princeton Review book did not adequately prepare me for this test. What I knew from the book--mostly factual info--I nailed. Everything else ... well, I've been out of school for a while, and relying on one book for my overall education was, in hindsight, not the best idea.

I picked up an intro book today for round 2. But who knows? I left so many questions blank, I might have done okay! :)

Congrats to you both for getting through it! I remember the relief when I walked out of that building! There's nothing like it.

Congrats on being finished. But, please remember that in the grand scheme of everything else they consider, Psych GRE is really not all that important at all.

Hi gang!

Well I'm glad it's done. I don't have a good sense of how I did. I used all the time as well. I left somewhere between 7-10 questions unanswered and made educated guesses on quite a few. On practice tests educated guessing worked out for me but we'll see.

I studied quite a bit (Kaplan/Princeton/ETS/Arco) and took a number of practice exams. If I had to guess I'd say it was harder than the ETS/Kaplan/Princeton practice tests and that I didn't do as well on it as I was hoping, but it is really hard to say. Guess we'll know in a month or so.

Congrats on being finished. But, please remember that in the grand scheme of everything else they consider, Psych GRE is really not all that important at all.

Generally a fair statement, although for someone like me with less background in psych than your average applicant, I am hoping for an above-average score to demonstrate sufficient knowledge of psychology.

On to the next challenge!

I've got my GRE tomorrow and only have today left to study. I don't think that I could ever have enough time to feel fully prepared.

I will say this though, I will not be taking anymore computer practice tests. The scores always come up ****ty and it's severely depressing me. I am aiming to raise my scores by at least 120 (somewhat doable I hope). Last year when I did the practice tests I scored over 250 better on the real thing. These practice tests are significantly better than last year but lower than what I got on the actual test. What does this mean? Not sure! Ahhhh! Guess I will find out tomorrow....

Congrats to everyone who did the subject test!

Hey waitingkills...I mentioned in another thread how I improved from a 1160 (520V, 640Q) last year to a 1440 (680V, 760Q) this year. Just thought I'd let you know I was scoring anywhere from 1310-1390 on my practice tests. I took both Kaplan and Powerprep tests. My best quant score on the practices was 720, and I averaged about a 670. As you can see, I improved markedly over these scores, and they were better than I had done on the real thing the last time. Good luck!

waiting kills, i did almost 50 points better on the quant section on the actual exam than i did on practice tests and about 20 better on verbal. i think some people need the added pressure of test day to do their best...

waiting kills, i did almost 50 points better on the quant section on the actual exam than i did on practice tests and about 20 better on verbal. i think some people need the added pressure of test day to do their best...

Me too...I think my quant was about 70 pts higher on the real test than the practice ones.

Good luck!! :luck:

Edit: I just realized you must've taken it today. Hope it went well!!!

Edit: I just realized you must've taken it today. Hope it went well!!!

Ya, should have done it yesterday but Prometric sucks ass. Couldn't take it because my disability accommodations weren't met (that were specifically promised to me by the prometric manager 2 months ago) pretty much at all. Now I'm fighting with them to see when I can write it with my accommodations in order to get the scores to the universities on time. They are not being very...hmmm... helpful.

I'm really angry so I'm going to end this here...

Thanks for all those telling me they did better on the real test. It's totally boosting my confidence!

Sorry to hear that! I have heard of other people needing accomodations who had very difficult times dealing with the GRE folks.

I hope you get everything straightened out in time! :luck:

I'm so sorry that happened to you... As if this wasn't stressful enough already, right?? I hope they work it out soon. Good luck for when you do write it!

Hey :)

So it's sort of worked out now and it looks like I'm writing it this Wednesday. As crappy as all this mess up was, I am quite glad to have the extra study time.

We'll see how it goes in a couple days. Thanks for the good wishes and reassurence.

Hey :)

So it's sort of worked out now and it looks like I'm writing it this Wednesday. As crappy as all this mess up was, I am quite glad to have the extra study time.

We'll see how it goes in a couple days. Thanks for the good wishes and reassurence.

Now I can say good luck and have it actually be before you take the test!! :laugh:

Good luck!!:luck:

A day and a bit left until the big day. I seriously can't wait till this is all over!

My verbal score isn't really moving which sucks, but my quant has gone way up compared to my practice tests last year (~200 points)... so if my real score goes up by that much regardless of how, I will be super happy!

Two more sleeps and one more day!!! Lol, after this is all about writing statements and waiting to hear back from schools. This stress isn't going to end till April; another 6 months :eek:!!! And they wonder why psychologists typically have highest rates of mental illness...

A day and a bit left until the big day. I seriously can't wait till this is all over!

Good luck!! Let us all know how it goes. I'm sure you will do really well.

And add me to the list of people who did better on the real thing. I think that little bit of adrenaline on the test day gets your brain working. haha.

Good luck! I hope it goes smoothly. I'll be thinking happy thoughts for you on Wednesday!

Yay, it's over!!!

So I got my 120 improvement. My scores still aren't stellar, but they put me to the magic 1200.

My old sores were 520V and 560Q (1080) and now they are 570V and 630Q (1200).

Does anyone have an estimate for the percentiles of those?

Gotta run. Catching a flight.

570V is about 78th percentile, and 630Q is about 55th percentile. Not too shabby. :) (And by 'not too shabby' I mean awesome, in case that doesn't translate in text form).

Congrats on the improvement and on breaking 1200!