Upcoming semester courseload

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SQUAAA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This upcoming semester I am enrolled in 5 courses, 13 credits. But I want to drop one course bringing it down to 10 credits as I am not really interested in the course and I don't think I will do good in the course(labour studies). It should also be mentioned that I am in my second year and I have 45 credits total and the previous semester I took 14 credits and didn't do as good as I wanted to, and ending up with a 3.10 term gpa, bringing my overall cumulative gpa to 3.05, so I really I want to do good this semester and help improve my gpa. So I was wondering if this potential 10 credit course load will be looked upon unfavourably.

Members don't see this ad.

I just want to say that schools not only look at your GPA, but they certainly look at the load.

I don't think I have anything else to share. :shrug:

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I think dental schools normally want to see you taking ~15 credits per semester, unless you have some very good excuse. Plus keep in mind that for undergrad, full time is 12 credits. Without full time enrollment, you can potentially have problems with financial aid, being able to stay on your parents' health insurance, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest keeping a minimum of 12 credits.

I had multiple interviews and I had some lighter loads 12/13 credits. I used these lighter semesters to make sure I got As and learned how to study.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a semester or 2 with a light course load, especially if you have a good reason. It's certainly far superior to taking a class which you won't do well in.

I had multiple interviews and I had some lighter loads 12/13 credits. I used these lighter semesters to make sure I got As and learned how to study.
How long did it take you to graduate? :rolleyes: Cuz I'm here doing the 4 years thing, and next semester (my last one) I need to take 7 courses (23 credits, with dean approval). I always took 17-18 credits every semester.
oGPA is 3.78

Last edited:
I took between 18 and 24 credits every term and graduated in 3 years. I prob should have done it in 4 years since my GPA ended up at 3.44. No interviews yet :(

GPA is more important than courseload.
Yes, but a overall 4.0 with 12 credits per semester (always), doesn't indicate if the person will be able to succeed in DS or not.

In my interview, my interviewer even pointed my courseload out. He was thrilled with the fact that I've been taking 3-4 science courses together along with 1-2 liberal art courses every semester.

I think that the perfect scenario would be a great GPA with a good courseload.

I think my point here is if my potential 10 credit semester that will only happen once in my career will severely impact me in a negative way.

I think my point here is if my potential 10 credit semester that will only happen once in my career will severely impact me in a negative way.
If it's only once no. But we prepare to answer "why?" In an interview.

How long did it take you to graduate? :rolleyes: Cuz I'm here doing the 4 years thing and next semester (my last one) I need to take 7 courses (23 credits, with dean approval). I always took 17-18 credits every semester.
oGPA is 3.78

It took you 4.5 years to graduate with 17-18 credits per semester?:eek::eek:

It took you 4.5 years to graduate with 17-18 credits per semester?:eek::eek:
4 years exactly! Not 4.5
And I have a double minor as well.

edit:
I took 1-2 classes every summer too.
Graduating with 152 credits.

4 years exactly! Not 4.5
And I have a double minor as well.

edit:
I took 1-2 classes every summer too.
Graduating with 152 credits.

Basically same with me. I'll be at 151 hrs with only one minor yay!

If you have a good reason for it and you've been able to hold your own during busy semesters, it won't be an issue. I'm going to be part time this semester because I only need 7 credits to graduate and I would rather work part time than sink more money into school. If I've already proved in 7 other semesters that I can take 14+ credits and get good grades, one semester of part time is not an issue at all.

If you're a grad student with a TA position (in that case, my university counts 6 credits as full time), then taking only a little more than 6 credits at most shouldn't be a problem, right? 4 credits of a grad level class is not the same as 4 credits of an undergrad level class. The TA position is a huge time commitment, but I get a tuition waiver, so I really want to do it.