May 1, 2017
I have my secondaries all submitted including my committee letter. As part of my committee letter packet I have a LoR from a faculty member of my state SOM. I took an accelerated course with this professor and asked for a LoR, which he gladly wrote.

I just finished TA'ing the same course for him. He said I did a great job and that he's happy to help in any way that I can. Should I ask him for an updated letter reflecting my TA experience with him? If I have him write a new letter and submit it through AMCAS will schools see both of his letters? I already included the fact that I will be TA'ing this course in my secondaries but I thought it might be good to have his letter reflect my time with him as a TA.

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I have my secondaries all submitted including my committee letter. As part of my committee letter packet I have a LoR from a faculty member of my state SOM. I took an accelerated course with this professor and asked for a LoR, which he gladly wrote.

I just finished TA'ing the same course for him. He said I did a great job and that he's happy to help in any way that I can. Should I ask him for an updated letter reflecting my TA experience with him? If I have him write a new letter and submit it through AMCAS will schools see both of his letters? I already included the fact that I will be TA'ing this course in my secondaries but I thought it might be good to have his letter reflect my time with him as a TA.
1) if you have a new letter entry posted with this professor, it will show up as two letters and can cause confusion or worse.
2) The professor can upload an updated letter that will be appended to the original letter but frankly being a successful TA is not that impactful
3) if you have a new letter sent, the school can assume you now want to reopen your file, put the letter in, close the file again, and put you at the bottom of the queue because you have essentially requested as such
4) If you send an updated letter directly to the school from a third party, that would be in violation of AMCAS policy and could be a major issue

Dont bother sending your own update on this unless you have other worthwhile things to mention

Reactions: gyngyn
About the Ads