Update emails: program director or program coordinator?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

When sending updates to programs about our ERAS applications should we email the program director or

• program director

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • coordinator

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

tealzeal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

When sending updates to programs about our ERAS applications should we email the program director or the program coordinator?

Members don't see this ad.

What are you including in an update email? I've heard advice on not to send update emails unless there is a significant change...more than just an accepted manuscript or something.

What are you including in an update email? I've heard advice on not to send update emails unless there is a significant change...more than just an accepted manuscript or something.

Why? Maybe this is specialty dependent but I thought even showing interest in general helped quite a bit (or did nothing for certain places, but never really seemed to hurt)

Members don't see this ad :)
Why? Maybe this is specialty dependent but I thought even showing interest in general helped quite a bit (or did nothing for certain places, but never really seemed to hurt)
I guess I was thinking programs may find it annoying or something unless it truly is your top choice. To be honest I'm not really sure though. Anyone else have any experience with this?

My application was complete incredibly late and my home program director has recommended that I send update emails to programs to let them know that it is actually there.

Hi all,

When sending updates to programs about our ERAS applications should we email the program director or the program coordinator?

My application was complete incredibly late and my home program director has recommended that I send update emails to programs to let them know that it is actually there.

Depends on the specialty and which specific programs. I would recommend sending to both if you are going to do so. There is no real harm in sending a single e-mail to both people. Also, I don't know what to really call this, but I wouldn't call it an "update" since you aren't really updating programs, you are more letting them know that you applied in the first place.

That having been said, there is extremely limited utility in doing this. There may be some programs that don't look routinely after all their interview invites go out and if you are a standout applicant, maybe they will want you enough to add you on as an extra interviewee. For my program, unless you are on paper a top 10 applicant, it would likely go ignored.