update letter for something mentioned briefly in secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickensandwich

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

i started my job in early august and submitted my secondaries late aug-mid sept. in a few secondaries, i mentioned briefly (usually 2-3 sentences) that i was working and gave a short job description (this was in response to various q's, some were additional info, some were what are you doing in your year off, etc).

now i'm wondering whether it's ok to send in an update with more expanded information about this job, now that i have a much better idea of what i'm doing. i've already written a couple updates to schools that i made no mention of this job to so i do have the basic body of the letter ready and it's about half a page. i also have one more paragraph about a slight expansion in volunteering, that i don't think is significant enough in and of itself to send alone as an update.

i wouldn't be sending this update to every school i haven't heard from, just 3-4 that i'm still really hoping (praying!) for an interview from. any opinions would be appreciated. thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

It would probably be most appropriate if the job in some way boosts the med school application, but I see no reason not to expand on the job, summerize the general hours worked, and say how the skills used relate to medicine somehow. As long as the whole update is a page or less, you're fine.