Mar 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Does having a third author publication in a high impact journal warrant an update letter? And if so do I send it to all schools I applied to or just ones I have interviewed at or ones I haven't been offered an interview for?

Easonred57

"Excellent."
Aug 6, 2013
In the mouse house
Status
Pre-Medical
Any publication in a peer-reviewed journal would warrant an update letter, IMO. I would look at a school's specific admissions website to first see if they encourage update letters. Some will only accept them after an interview invite has been extended, while others will not accept them at all and specifically say not to send updates. If you try to send updates when they are unwanted, it will either be trashed or could be seen as not following instructions. It's still relatively early in the cycle, so if you think you will be accumulating more update fodder (presentations, volunteer hours, etc.) I would wait until you have a substantial amount to add to a letter.

Reactions: lomm and BurghMed

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Any publication in a peer-reviewed journal would warrant an update letter, IMO. I would look at a school's specific admissions website to first see if they encourage update letters. Some will only accept them after an interview invite has been extended, while others will not accept them at all and specifically say not to send updates. If you try to send updates when they are unwanted, it will either be trashed or could be seen as not following instructions. It's still relatively early in the cycle, so if you think you will be accumulating more update fodder (presentations, volunteer hours, etc.) I would wait until you have a substantial amount to add to a letter.
I concur with the above. A paper that you are author on (no matter the position) that has been recently accepted for a publication is worth an update. Send it those schools that suggest they want updates. It wont be a huge impact under most circumstances