Update letter

Started by lomm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lomm

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does having a third author publication in a high impact journal warrant an update letter? And if so do I send it to all schools I applied to or just ones I have interviewed at or ones I haven't been offered an interview for?
 
Any publication in a peer-reviewed journal would warrant an update letter, IMO. I would look at a school's specific admissions website to first see if they encourage update letters. Some will only accept them after an interview invite has been extended, while others will not accept them at all and specifically say not to send updates. If you try to send updates when they are unwanted, it will either be trashed or could be seen as not following instructions. It's still relatively early in the cycle, so if you think you will be accumulating more update fodder (presentations, volunteer hours, etc.) I would wait until you have a substantial amount to add to a letter.