Update Letters

Started by evansh
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

evansh

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm applying for Fall 2016 with one gap year between undergrad and MD (hopefully...). I feel that my application is very strong, with solid stats and great clinical experience, however the one thing I'm really missing is research experience. I have some, but it's very minimal.

I'm asking this a little early, but if I get a job in a lab for my gap year is it worth sending out update letters? I understand that they're generally reserved for larger accomplishments such as publications, but since it's a not-so-subtle hole in my application would it be worth updating? Additionally, when would one update? I'm being reviewed for a few lab positions right now, and I'd like to update as soon as I get one (again hopefully) so that I don't get knocked early for not having research experience.

Any help appreciated, thanks!!
 
Do you really think that the Admissions dean is going to scream out to his secretary: "We HAVE to accept this kid!!!" after reading your update?



I'm applying for Fall 2016 with one gap year between undergrad and MD (hopefully...). I feel that my application is very strong, with solid stats and great clinical experience, however the one thing I'm really missing is research experience. I have some, but it's very minimal.

I'm asking this a little early, but if I get a job in a lab for my gap year is it worth sending out update letters? I understand that they're generally reserved for larger accomplishments such as publications, but since it's a not-so-subtle hole in my application would it be worth updating? Additionally, when would one update? I'm being reviewed for a few lab positions right now, and I'd like to update as soon as I get one (again hopefully) so that I don't get knocked early for not having research experience.

Any help appreciated, thanks!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It could be something that you put in the secondary. Many have a section that asks for information not on the primary.