1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Update Letters

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by UCLA Paratrooper, Oct 3, 2002.

1. UCLA Paratrooper

UCLA Paratrooper Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey!

When should you start sending out these Update Letters to medical schools? Pre-Interview, after August MCAT scores are in, Post-Interview?

What exactly should you write? Obviously you want to tell medical school what you did since you submitted the primary and secondary applications, but how specific should the letter be. Should I just write what I did or should I go into what I learned from it and how I'm a better applicant now?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

UCLA Paratrooper

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Samoa

Physician Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Most people say post-interview.

4. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Paratrooper,

Update letters don't help that much unless you did something significant, e.g. published a first authored paper or presented at a major meeting. Be very specific. Send it in as soon as you can if it's good. The admission office will stick the information in your file for the reviewer to see. :)

5. medhopeful08

medhopeful08 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

so i've been doing a search about update letters on SDN....

is it true that some schools don't like update letters?

which schools do? and should you update your file only if something "signficant" happens?

thanks!

6. subtle1epiphany

subtle1epiphany Junior Faculty
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    yeah, i'd love some info on this as well...
    i'm waiting for interviews and i'd like to send an update of some research i'm assisting with, fall semester grades (they were decent...3.42), and a spring semester course update.

7. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

how bout you just call the admissions office and ask them, do you like update letters? im pretty sure they only want it post-interview and they do like it cause it will help the review process. i would keep it simple, dont really get into what you learned and all.

8. Spitting Camel

Spitting Camel Anteater for Life!
    7+ Year Member

I sent in a couple of update letters to different schools. I included my courses completed and grades received, along with my new cumulative GPA. I also calculated my sci and non-sci GPAs to make it easier for them to see my improvement. I think if your grades are consistent with your current level of achievement, do it. Also, like someone else mentioned, include other major developments. If anyone would like a template, I can show you one of mine... or even post it here. I don't care.