Updating Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bearded gent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have three letters from a previous application, 2017-2018 cycle, that I would like to use when I apply for the upcoming 2019-2020 cycle. How important would it be to update the dates written on the letters if no extra detail would be added to the main body of the letter? The letters were all completed around June 2017 and used in the 2017-2018 cycle. Would a packet, sent next year, directly from my university containing all my individual letters be sufficient in this scenario without changing the individual dates on each letter?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I used a committee letter as a re-applicant from 2016-2017 cycle this year and have already received 3 II's (2 DO, 1 MD). I have no knowledge that the dates were changed at all (although I guess my pre-health advisor could have changed them? I know for sure the professors have not looked at them since). I think you should be fine

Just as a tip though, I did have two additional letters for this cycle just to show growth as an applicant in my new endeavors!