This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vettechtodvm

Reaction score
Hello!

I applied to AVC for the first time during this cycle from NL. Obviously, the competition from NL is high given that there are only 2 seats for the province. I currently have a Bachelor of Science (Honours) and I work full-time as an unregistered technician (while working towards a Diploma in Veterinary Technology - but I cannot become a "resident" of another province, such as where I am going to school, without living here for 12 months outside of attending school for application purposes). Becoming a DVM is the end goal, but I am loving my tech work and courses.

I've been looking into some graduate programs, and I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with working on graduate programs or certificates, and if they have helped you get into AVC. I've seen/found a couple of programs, and I am really intrigued by UPEI's Master of Veterinary Science. However, I don't believe that type of a program will increase my employability or wages as an unregistered tech, so I'm mostly wondering if it may help to boost my application at AVC. It is something I'm genuinely interested in, and completing a graduate program in some type of veterinary medicine or science is simply dependent on timing - when I decide to go for it. I would consider beginning it sooner rather than later if I thought it may help me get into AVC.

I haven't yet received any communication regarding how I could improve my application. My undergraduate grades (including those for AVC pre-reqs) were very mixed - many 80+, but also a few that were pretty bare minimum. I've spent some time improving those, but I am still left with a couple that will require a lot to replace/improve (simply because I passed the courses and will not be able to repeat them for another few years by AVC's policies on pre-requisite coursework). My grades at tech school are great, but I don't believe they really consider that because they are "college" level courses.

So, overall, does anyone have any similar experiences with rejection and completing graduate studies? Does anyone think it would be worthwhile to try right now? Like I said, I will likely complete a similar program regardless, its really just a matter of when. I'd just like to hear some other people's experiences and stories :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I applied to AVC for the first time during this cycle from NL. Obviously, the competition from NL is high given that there are only 2 seats for the province. I currently have a Bachelor of Science (Honours) and I work full-time as an unregistered technician (while working towards a Diploma in Veterinary Technology - but I cannot become a "resident" of another province, such as where I am going to school, without living here for 12 months outside of attending school for application purposes). Becoming a DVM is the end goal, but I am loving my tech work and courses.

I've been looking into some graduate programs, and I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with working on graduate programs or certificates, and if they have helped you get into AVC. I've seen/found a couple of programs, and I am really intrigued by UPEI's Master of Veterinary Science. However, I don't believe that type of a program will increase my employability or wages as an unregistered tech, so I'm mostly wondering if it may help to boost my application at AVC. It is something I'm genuinely interested in, and completing a graduate program in some type of veterinary medicine or science is simply dependent on timing - when I decide to go for it. I would consider beginning it sooner rather than later if I thought it may help me get into AVC.

I haven't yet received any communication regarding how I could improve my application. My undergraduate grades (including those for AVC pre-reqs) were very mixed - many 80+, but also a few that were pretty bare minimum. I've spent some time improving those, but I am still left with a couple that will require a lot to replace/improve (simply because I passed the courses and will not be able to repeat them for another few years by AVC's policies on pre-requisite coursework). My grades at tech school are great, but I don't believe they really consider that because they are "college" level courses.

So, overall, does anyone have any similar experiences with rejection and completing graduate studies? Does anyone think it would be worthwhile to try right now? Like I said, I will likely complete a similar program regardless, its really just a matter of when. I'd just like to hear some other people's experiences and stories :)
I guess it may be helpful to be demonstrate academic excellence in post-graduate courses, but I don’t know AVC’s current policy on post-graduate courses for pre-requisite use (I graduated 2015 so it’s been a bit…) and most schools will not accept them as prereqs.

If you’re taking vet tech classes now and working as a tech, where does post-graduate study fit in there? Why pursue a graduate degree? What do you gain from it other than more schooling costs/debt? (Honest questions for reflection.) I think it would behoove you to have a conversation with admissions and ask them this directly. I doubt it will make that much of an impact though. The NLs in my class were of course amazingly strong academically but the rest of their applications were very strong too.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess it may be helpful to be demonstrate academic excellence in post-graduate courses, but I don’t know AVC’s current policy on post-graduate courses for pre-requisite use (I graduated 2015 so it’s been a bit…) and most schools will not accept them as prereqs.

If you’re taking vet tech classes now and working as a tech, where does post-graduate study fit in there? Why pursue a graduate degree? What do you gain from it other than more schooling costs/debt? (Honest questions for reflection.) I think it would behoove you to have a conversation with admissions and ask them this directly. I doubt it will make that much of an impact though. The NLs in my class were of course amazingly strong academically but the rest of their applications were very strong too.
Thanks for your response! I figured they wouldn't consider it for pre-req coursework, but I was curious as to others' experiences with it in regards to strengthening their applications! As for your question, I think I would eventually like to get into research. I do love clinic work and I don't plan on leaving any time soon, but research has always fascinated me and its not something I'm fully ruling out as a career path just yet.