This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected as well, but decided to go for my PhD instead of my Masters, so I'll be reapplying this upcoming cycle and deferring my acceptance to Western for a year just in case. Congrats to everyone accepted and for those still waiting - hold on to some hope!!! Stay positive!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a heads up for some people! I received an email today, OOS, alternate list. The deadline to tell them you want to remain on it is Feb 24th, and then after March 6th you can email asking your ranking on the list.

although I went in thinking I'd choose Penn no matter what...I'll be declining to go to Cornell. Thrilled for whoever gets the spot though! The waitlist will move, wishing you all lots of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
just wondering..has anyone that has been put "on hold" after an interview been accepted? I was lurking through last years thread and didn't even see anyone mention they were on hold so I couldn't figure out if people actually get accepted once on hold or if they are just rejected or waitlisted.

I got the email this afternoon that I am an alternate OOS. I interviewed on 1/27 and got the hold email on 1/31.

just wondering..has anyone that has been put "on hold" after an interview been accepted? I was lurking through last years thread and didn't even see anyone mention they were on hold so I couldn't figure out if people actually get accepted once on hold or if they are just rejected or waitlisted.

A good friend of mine, now a fourth year at UPENN, interviewed at the end of January then was waitlisted. She was accepted a few weeks before class started in August. It was quite the predicament since she was basically settled at another school, but decided to leave to attend UPENN. I'm not sure if UPENN has separate alternative lists for OOS / IS, but if it helps she was IS. Basically don't lose hope, anything can happen!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

has anyone that interviewed on the 3rd gotten their acceptance packet in the mail yet?

Just got an alternate status email. Does Penn let you know your rank on the alternate list? If so, is it too soon to call to ask for it?

Edit: NVM, just saw the posts above!!

I recieved a letter, but not a full packet.

ah, cool. When did you receive the letter? Did it have info about paying deposit / accepting the offer? Maybe all this snow has delayed mail. I just want to get something in writing so I can officially accept and start telling people!

ah, cool. When did you receive the letter? Did it have info about paying deposit / accepting the offer? Maybe all this snow has delayed mail. I just want to get something in writing so I can officially accept and start telling people!
Monday. And yes, it has a link to all the forms you need to fill out and where to send the deposit. Mail times can depend where its going, mine went to Virginia, so it was a short distance, so try not to worry.

Last edited:

I got the call on 1/9 and I received the official letter on 1/23 (the letter was dated 1/12). It included info about paying the deposit and forms you had to turn in by April 17

A good friend of mine, now a fourth year at UPENN, interviewed at the end of January then was waitlisted. She was accepted a few weeks before class started in August. It was quite the predicament since she was basically settled at another school, but decided to leave to attend UPENN. I'm not sure if UPENN has separate alternative lists for OOS / IS, but if it helps she was IS. Basically don't lose hope, anything can happen!

They have had separate IS/OOS lists in the past. I have quite a few friends who were on the OOS wait list and are now doctors. OOS tends to move more than IS, or it did in the past.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted!!! Interviewed 1/27, on hold 1/31. My situation's a bit different so idk if anyone should expect calls today or not...I'm currently in school in the UK so they asked me to call in. AHHH omg. But this means there is still a chance of acceptance for people on hold!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
You can start telling people now! If you got the call, you are excepted. Share your excitement!!

Just got accepted!!! Interviewed 1/27, on hold 1/31. My situation's a bit different so idk if anyone should expect calls today or not...I'm currently in school in the UK so they asked me to call in. AHHH omg. But this means there is still a chance of acceptance for people on hold!!!!!
Are we the same person?! I just finished my master's in London in September! I also interviewed on 1/27 and was accepted.
They must love a UK education ;) Where are you studying??

Are we the same person?! I just finished my master's in London in September! I also interviewed on 1/27 and was accepted.
They must love a UK education ;) Where are you studying??

haha i guess so...I'm at Royal vet college doing a master's in One Health. What did you do??

haha i guess so...I'm at Royal vet college doing a master's in One Health. What did you do??
I was at UCL and did my master's in Pharmacogenetics and Stratified Medicine!

hey guys! Does anyone know when they'll start telling alternates they've been accepted? Does is have to be after the March 6th date?

so If I haven't gotten an email yet about the facebook group, but I found the page by searching facebook, would it be weird to just request to join? I'm so impatient!

EDIT: nevermind I got the email this afternoon :)

Last edited:
Does anyone know when they sound us our financial aid package?

I will be declining my in state seat so hopefully this will open it up for someone else

still haven't gotten the acceptance letter in the mail. Our mailbox got taken out by the plow in a huge snowstorm so we are forwarding to a P.O box. I wonder if its a lot slower because of that. Wish it would arrive so I could officially accept and send in my deposit!

Are there any current students who would be willing to answer some Penn questions via PM?

Does anyone happen to know how far down the alternate list Penn usually takes students from?

Would anyone mind giving some input as to what the MPH program is like (or if that's even an option) thanks!

I am number 1 on the waitlist! I know there is still some uncertainty but I'm so excited!

Is there a separate alternate list for IS vs OOS? If so, anyone have an inkling as to how fast the IS list will move/if anyone is giving up their spot?

I will be giving up my spot as soon as I pay my deposit to Tufts so hopefully this opens up a spot for someone here!

Would anyone mind giving some input as to what the MPH program is like (or if that's even an option) thanks!
There is no MPH program.
I am number 1 on the waitlist! I know there is still some uncertainty but I'm so excited!
Is there a separate alternate list for IS vs OOS? If so, anyone have an inkling as to how fast the IS list will move/if anyone is giving up their spot?
IS and OOS lists both move though IS moves less than OOS. Penn is expensive so some IS people find cheaper OOS options.

Does anyone know if Penn will send an acknowledgement after you send in your documents/pre-reqs/deposit?

I'm kind of waiting on that to be all settled before declining the other schools that accepted me. Not sure if I need to call to double check everything is in order or they send out an email/letter.

They'll send an acknowledgement and you'll get info on how to set up your pennkey

They'll send an acknowledgement and you'll get info on how to set up your pennkey
Is it correct that you get this through snail mail and not email? thats the impression im under but i just want to be sure

Is anyone still waiting to hear back about their alternate list number? I emailed on the 7th and haven't heard anything yet. I know it's only been a week, but I want to know so I can plan my next year! D:

Is anyone still waiting to hear back about their alternate list number? I emailed on the 7th and haven't heard anything yet. I know it's only been a week, but I want to know so I can plan my next year! D:
Hmm I received my number same day when I emailed on the 6th, as in IS applicant.

Hmm I received my number same day when I emailed on the 6th, as in IS applicant.
Okay, I emailed her again and got a response the next day. Thank you!

....In other news, how likely is it that they'll hit waitlist #5 this year, since they didn't last year (according to last year's waitlist thread)?

Okay, I emailed her again and got a response the next day. Thank you!

....In other news, how likely is it that they'll hit waitlist #5 this year, since they didn't last year (according to last year's waitlist thread)?
it varies every year. I'm pretty sure they do over-accept the class, so a certain number of people have to decline their seat before they start taking off the waitlist. But again, every year is different as far as who they accept and who accepts their seat. I think in the past few years they have offered people who are high on the waitlist a deferred spot, where you would defer a year but automatically be a part of c/o 2022 without re-interviewing or anything. Basically, don't lose hope yet, anything is possible!

I'm still a few years off from applying to vet school, but am also very interested in applying UPenn. Fell in love with the school and the state. Unfortunately my IS is UF and I don't have a 4.0 so my chances on getting into there is slim. Trying to make up for it with hours and hours and hours of experience and it's still a work in progress haha. Congrats to everyone who got in this year. :)

I have far from a 4.0 cGPA (you can check out my stats in the successful applicants thread) and still got in. It seems like Penn looks at a lot more than just your GPA so I wouldn't let that stop you!

I'm still a few years off from applying to vet school, but am also very interested in applying UPenn. Fell in love with the school and the state. Unfortunately my IS is UF and I don't have a 4.0 so my chances on getting into there is slim. Trying to make up for it with hours and hours and hours of experience and it's still a work in progress haha. Congrats to everyone who got in this year. :)
Apply to UF and pay MUCH less for vet school and graduate with far less debt, then move to philly and work for Penn if you want, maybe do a residency here. I love Penn, but I'd also love to be in a lot less debt.

Has anyone been pulled off the waitlist yet or is this something that will most likely occur in April?

it varies every year. I'm pretty sure they do over-accept the class, so a certain number of people have to decline their seat before they start taking off the waitlist. But again, every year is different as far as who they accept and who accepts their seat. I think in the past few years they have offered people who are high on the waitlist a deferred spot, where you would defer a year but automatically be a part of c/o 2022 without re-interviewing or anything. Basically, don't lose hope yet, anything is possible!
Your lips to someone up there's ears! I'd be fine with a deferred spot. It gives me some time to save some money first.

Turned down my OOS seat today! Best of luck to everyone :)

Just took myself off the waitlist, as I'm committing to Mizzou, so good luck to the IS peeps on the alternate list!