This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, does UPenn offer grant money to vet students or are our only options government loans and scholarships?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone that was put on hold heard anything about their application?

I just wanted to pass this along: I was pulled up for a last minute interview and they contacted me by phone. I didn't see the voicemail, so I wanted to make sure that everyone is checking their phones :) good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to pass this along: I was pulled up for a last minute interview and they contacted me by phone. I didn't see the voicemail, so I wanted to make sure that everyone is checking their phones :) good luck!
When did they call you? And congrats!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know about how much students pay for apartments in Philly?

I always had roommates. My lowest was $550 but I had 4 other roomies and we lived in a rowhome. The most I ever paid was $825 but I had an AMAZING master bedroom with my own bath and it was 100% worth it. No utilities included in any of these. (avg cost was probably 70-$150 depending on the season and two places I lived in had central air)

You honestly pay for what you get. You can find a place that is <$400 (often with roomies) but it's not going to be the nicest. I went for more middle of the road and always opted for roomies for cost reasons and I don't regret it. I had friends that were paying $900+ for a studio but were closer to school. It really just depends. I also never went through any of the major apartment complexes. I always lived in a privately owned rental.

Also, does UPenn offer grant money to vet students or are our only options government loans and scholarships?

I don't think so. They offer a select few a recruitment scholarship (essentially makes OOS tuition equal to IS) but it comes with a GPA requirement that you have to maintain (at least that is my understanding).

I don't think so. They offer a select few a recruitment scholarship (essentially makes OOS tuition equal to IS) but it comes with a GPA requirement that you have to maintain (at least that is my understanding).
Thanks for this information, it really helps!

Hey guys! Are most people thinking of living alone or with a roommate? How do we find roommates? On the facebook page not very many people have posted about roommates at all. I am wondering what other people are doing living situation-wise

Hey guys! Are most people thinking of living alone or with a roommate? How do we find roommates? On the facebook page not very many people have posted about roommates at all. I am wondering what other people are doing living situation-wise
people probably aren't thinking about roommates quite yet, but by the summer there will a lot of people on there with rooms available. Some people go through campus apartments, but others just find houses or apartments on their own. A lot of older vet students will be moving out of their places and will advertise on your fb page for what rooms they have available once we are allowed onto your page. That's how I found my place.

Im thinking of housing ATM too! I have not been added to the FB group yet but ive seen some nice apartments on craigslist

Yeah, don't panic about housing yet. Once they open the FB page to everyone, there will be posts from other students looking for roomies/renting their apartments. I didn't find my apartment until late July right before first year and there were still quite a few options at that time.

For everyone waiting (like me) just keep breathing :D and if all else fails, then re-applying won't be so bad - already planning on putting my app in for the next cycle. :nod:

Last edited:
My phone just rang and I literally jumped out of my chair (It wasn't Penn). Today is going to be fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recieved a phone call at 9 this morning, oss

congrats! who did you interview with?

Also did I meet you on friday? Judging by your name, did you go to VT and are now getting a masters in nebraska?

Also did I meet you on friday? Judging by your name, did you go to VT and are now getting a masters in nebraska?
Yes, you did. I hope your travels back went well and that you hear soon. Keep me updated,

Haven't heard anything today, which makes me feel like I wont be hearing good news, but I'll hold out some hope since it looks like at least a few of the interview weekends people didn't hear back until tuesday or wednesday. I got a missed call around lunchtime from a no caller ID #, but it ended up just being the dr's office trying to reschedule an appointment :(

Accepted IS today via phone call around noon! I interviews on 2/3

For everyone waiting (like me) just keep breathing :D and if all else fails, then re-applying won't be so bad - already planning on putting my app in for the next cycle. :nod:
In the same boat! I've accepted my fate at this point and am actually not that upset about a gap year :) It'll be nice to make some money and recharge my brain after four longggg years of undergrad haha

Haven't heard anything today, which makes me feel like I wont be hearing good news, but I'll hold out some hope since it looks like at least a few of the interview weekends people didn't hear back until tuesday or wednesday. I got a missed call around lunchtime from a no caller ID #, but it ended up just being the dr's office trying to reschedule an appointment :(

I haven't heard anything yet either.... but not sure which interviewers called yet aside from Dr. Littman

I haven't heard anything yet either.... but not sure which interviewers called yet aside from Dr. Littman

Who did you interview with? I interviewed with Dr. Henthorn fwiw.

Congrats! Still haven't heard anything. Wish I knew one way or the other so I could stop stressing about it!

Just got the call!!! OOS

Reactions: 4 users
Friends! A factor in deciding what vet school I choose is dependent on finding a farm to board my horses. Can anyone recommend a farm near Kennett Square, West Chester, or Chadds Ford, PA? Not looking for a show barn or trainer, as I will not have time for anything but casual riding. Reasonable price a must. Must be full care, field or stall board is fine.

Friends! A factor in deciding what vet school I choose is dependent on finding a farm to board my horses. Can anyone recommend a farm near Kennett Square, West Chester, or Chadds Ford, PA? Not looking for a show barn or trainer, as I will not have time for anything but casual riding. Reasonable price a must. Must be full care, field or stall board is fine.
When do you need the info by? I know lots of my classmates have horses, and my neighbors keep their horse in Kennett Square. There are literally SO many places to keep horses around here. What do you consider a reasonable price?

Not too sure of any exact farms as I am not a horse person, however that area is Pennsylvania's horse country so you should have absolutely no problem finding a farm!

When do you need the info by? I know lots of my classmates have horses, and my neighbors keep their horse in Kennett Square. There are literally SO many places to keep horses around here. What do you consider a reasonable price?
I am also looking for a place to keep my horse. I am in no rush, but any information would be awesome.

Me too! PM me and we can share what we find.

I'm looking for the same thing too! I'm pretty local to the area already so I'm trying to decide if I should just keep him at home and see him less, or try to move him somewhere closer. I have a lot of friends with horses from the main line area, but I haven't started really investigating the options too much yet since it's a little far off. I'm happy to share any info I find!

I'm looking for the same thing too! I'm pretty local to the area already so I'm trying to decide if I should just keep him at home and see him less, or try to move him somewhere closer. I have a lot of friends with horses from the main line area, but I haven't started really investigating the options too much yet since it's a little far off. I'm happy to share any info I find!
I drove around looking for barns last week and was pretty discouraged. Three out of six were defunct, for sale or in terrible repair (Maui) One was pretty lovely with huge turnout but it was out 76 which is a major commuter route with heavy traffic and it's not on the way or near New Bolton. Wasn't thrilled with Reinbow although also has great turnout -- very pricey at $900 and off beaten track. Please share what you find. Thanks.

Did anyone (this past weekend) copy down any of the students emails? I did not, but now I have a new questions. Thanks,

Not sure if they would want to have their emails posted publicly like that or not. Might want to take it down and just send in a pm

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So I'm pretty much 100% sure I'll be attending Penn in the fall! Haven't gotten the packet in the mail yet. I'm assuming that once I get that, it will have information on how to accept the offer / send in the deposit? How does the fb group work? Are we added to it after we send in our deposit or do we need to request to get invited? so exciting to actually know where I'll be come august!!

You'll get an invite to the fb group eventually. You'll get an email with the link (or at least thats what I got).

FYI, for people that did interview this last weekend and dont get a call today, dont freak out (like I did)!

When I ended up getting the call (tuesday afternoon) my interviewer said they like to get back to everybody by wednesday, so not all calls are made on monday (or even tuesday!)

Finally got my rejection. I was assuming it at this point. Oh well, still have Purdue, Georgia, and Auburn to wait on. Congrats to all those who got in!

Finally got my rejection. I was assuming it at this point. Oh well, still have Purdue, Georgia, and Auburn to wait on. Congrats to all those who got in!
Just got mine too. At least we finally know!

Reactions: 1 users
Dang got my rejection too, I was still holding out some hope but oh well. Good luck everyone else!!

Officially rejected today! See it coming after not getting an interview.

Congrats to everyone accepted and good luck to those waitlisted!

I'm happy to finally have closure, got my rejection today as well. Looks like I'm officially (hopefully) class of 2022! Honestly I'm excited for my unplanned gap year :)

Unsurprisingly rejected given how long it's been.

I'll be taking my OOS money elsewhere