UPenn Curriculum and CBSE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMDtoMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm aware that UPenn has adopted a new curriculum over the last 3 years, but I am wondering how it compares to other schools. It's said to be "integrated," but I honestly have no idea what they mean by this.

First: How does it compare to schools with a medical curriculum? (Columbia, Uconn, Stony Brook). Will this curriculum expose students to the in-depth aspects found in a medical curriculum to prepare its students for the CBSE?

Second: How does it compare to the average state dental school (I think most schools call it a "basic science" curriculum? I have no idea). Will UPenns curriculum focus on general dentistry, leaving much of the CBSE studying up to the student?

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools are moving towards an integrated curriculum. From my understanding this means, certain classes and topics which fall hand in hand with each other will be taught as one, thus saving time and being more efficient and effective.

Reactions: 1 user
Many schools are moving towards an integrated curriculum. From my understanding this means, certain classes and topics which fall hand in hand with each other will be taught as one, thus saving time and being more efficient and effective.
I see, so Penns curriculum may not be suited towards those pursuing OSR compared to Columbia, Stony Brook and UConn?

Obviously they're doing something right since their match rates are high, but maybe its more to due with the type of students Penn attracts? I would love to hear from someone who's been exposed to this new curriculum and is currently studying or has studied for the CBSE.

Members don't see this ad :)
The main component they emphasized that I recall was that they integrated the clinical with the didactic. As in, year 4, they still have a fair amount of didactics which coincide with the clinic. Don't think the term was specific to medical integration.

Last edited:
I spoke with someone who’s currently attending Penn and they said the curriculum has plenty of similarities to Penn medicines. I have no clue how similar, or how helpful it will be for the CBSE, so if any Penn students want to chime please do.

Also, if you’re chasing OMS: Penn has A LOT of OMS applicants each year, and I think the 2022/2023 year will be one of this highest (judging off the posts on SDN). This will provide you with a solid network of other students with similar interests as you to keep you on track. Penn is not ranked after 10, so students tend to help each other out. Having a solid support group can help tremendously.

I gotta disagree with you on this one. I think it helps massively to actually have the full background going in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Just for clarity, if I have this right... a medical curriculum barely goes into dentistry, but a typical basic science program (like at UPenn) integrates basic science and dentistry... and for the CBSE, the questions are strictly medical (no dental) so this is why a medical curriculum is so important?

Just for clarity, if I have this right... a medical curriculum barely goes into dentistry, but a typical basic science program (like at UPenn) integrates basic science and dentistry... and for the CBSE, the questions are strictly medical (no dental) so this is why a medical curriculum is so important?

I wouldn't say it barely goes into dentistry...

The way it works here we take medical courses for our basic sciences + dental courses for our dental sciences. Other schools cover the basic sciences but not to the same depth-width that we might here (Save for a few exceptions). For example, in our Anatomy course we do the entire body instead of only doing Head-Neck/the diaphragm and up.

I gotta disagree with you on this one. I think it helps massively to actually have the full background going in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
yea not sure why that person keeps downplaying the advantage of having a curriculum designed for the main test you take for omfs lol. An average med student scores a 230 (equal to like 80-82 IIRC) on the step1. There are a lot of not so intelligent med students, and they are scoring like 10-15 points higher than the average OMFS applicant's CBSE (and we can assume the average OMFS applicant is top 20 in their dental class). It's not because the 50th percentile med student is smarter than the top 20th percentile dental student that's for sure.

Reactions: 1 users
Also want to add: a pass fail med curriculum is gold because of a big reason: flexibility
Many med students (that score 250+) stay at home, study only boards materials and some of their lecture, low pass, and then rock the step 1. No dental student trying to make straight A's in classes that don't pertain nearly as much to the step 1 can do that. It's not an option. That's why a 75 or so for an OMFS applicant is stellar (top 15% of all applicants I believe) while it's crap for a med student.

Also want to add: a pass fail med curriculum is gold because of a big reason: flexibility
Many med students (that score 250+) stay at home, study only boards materials and some of their lecture, low pass, and then rock the step 1. No dental student trying to make straight A's in classes that don't pertain nearly as much to the step 1 can do that. It's not an option. That's why a 75 or so for an OMFS applicant is stellar (top 15% of all applicants I believe) while it's crap for a med student.
medical curriculum? absolutely.
pass fail? pretty debateable.

your gpa and rank play a big factor when applying to residency. those schools who do not rank still have reported gpas. if you don't have a reported rank or gpa, the rest of your application has to be flawless. even then, someone with an impressive gpa and similiar CBSE will outshine you if all you have is a pass.

just my added perspective about pass fail.

My roommate honored every single class and knew mostly every lecture inside and out for the didactics when taking his tests. If you succeed in a medical curriculum and if it really does prepare you as well as it should, why is he studying from July to Mid February 4-10 hours a day?

My roommate honored every single class and knew mostly every lecture inside and out for the didactics when taking his tests. If you succeed in a medical curriculum and if it really does prepare you as well as it should, why is he studying from July to Mid February 4-10 hours a day?

Because he's taking it a year and a half later during D3 lol...

No one is saying you don't have to study but it's definitely easier learning this stuff with a first pass than teaching it to yourself cold.

to boost his score? Are you being serious right now? You still want to maxamize your chances. Some people get a 230 before starting their dedicated and then boost it by a decent margin during dedicated. A dental student would get like a 40 without a dedicated period (seeing as the average taker's is like 55 lol)

medical curriculum? absolutely.
pass fail? pretty debateable.

your gpa and rank play a big factor when applying to residency. those schools who do not rank still have reported gpas. if you don't have a reported rank or gpa, the rest of your application has to be flawless. even then, someone with an impressive gpa and similiar CBSE will outshine you if all you have is a pass.

just my added perspective about pass fail.
Eh. I work for a competitive residency at the mothership institution for gunners. Out of the 6 programs they take the most kids from, four are p/f. I agree with your argument more if you're talking about some newer school that is p/f, but it just so happens that a disproportionate number of the most favored DS in the country run on p/f.

means they're finally teaching it how they do in European schools. instead the first two years feeling like youre doing your science courses all over again but at grad level, they basically go by systems and for each one you cover anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, histology etc. This is great as you learn in a certain pattern for each system. School was amazing I absolutely loved this curriculum. its been refined since they started 3 years ago

to boost his score? Are you being serious right now? You still want to maxamize your chances. Some people get a 230 before starting their dedicated and then boost it by a decent margin during dedicated. A dental student would get like a 40 without a dedicated period (seeing as the average taker's is like 55 lol)
Just sharing my 2 cents bro. Me and @wengerout haven’t even finished our first semester yet so take what we say with a grain of salt. Best of luck on the cbse