-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
UPenn decisions
Started by deuce
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I get "please enter your PennKey..." Do we have PennKeys? What is a PennKey?
Is this good news? Maybe it's like the good finaid message at HMS?
PennKey is Penn's main verification system for all their online stuff. Only students have PennKeys, so maybe you are in? I don't know why that would happen though, maybe it is just screwed up. Does the site asking you for your PennKey have "rosetta" anywhere in it? If so, it is Penn's main authentication server.
I'm somehow getting a new page with a weird message of "Access to this panel is denied." without even letting us logon. anyone else getting this when you try http://www.med.upenn.edu/apps/my/pennmed_application/ ?
nevermind
nevermind
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just click on the link above, it works from SDN for me.
I get "please enter your PennKey..." Do we have PennKeys? What is a PennKey?
Is this good news? Maybe it's like the good finaid message at HMS?
I got that, then logged out and logged back in cause I didn't get it, and now i have access to panel denied.
Now it doesn't work. It says it is back down, again. But I logged in a few minutes ago...
https://www.med.upenn.edu/apps/my/index.php?_app_id=4607eaa66d15e&_display=1&_hist_id=1&_preserve[init_panel]=admissions%2Fmain&PHPSESSID=85db4cf7dd0be597d4b72bbc2f1e3405
TRY THIS!
I get file not found when I click that. Also, for everyone freaking out about not being able to access the page, as someone has pointed out, if you don't get to the point where you can actually enter something into the status page, they have NO WAY of knowing who you are, i.e., this is not HMS FinAid!!!
I get "please enter your PennKey..." Do we have PennKeys? What is a PennKey?
Is this good news? Maybe it's like the good finaid message at HMS?
Not to get your hopes up because I have nothing to do with Penn Med admissions, but a PennKey is the log-in user name and password assigned to Penn students, staff, and faculty members that gives them access to email, class registration, their library account online, et cetera.
Status: Accepted!!! 😀
good luck everybody!
good luck everybody!
https://www.med.upenn.edu/apps/my/index.php?_app_id=4607eaa66d15e&_display=1&_hist_id=1&_preserve[init_panel]=admissions%2Fmain&PHPSESSID=85db4cf7dd0be597d4b72bbc2f1e3405
TRY THIS!
that link takes me straight to the pennkey page.
WTF?
whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
I get "please enter your PennKey..." Do we have PennKeys? What is a PennKey?
Is this good news? Maybe it's like the good finaid message at HMS?
A PennKey is the username Penn gives students/faculty/staff. I logged in with mine and still got the crappy "You are denied" message.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
that link takes me straight to the pennkey page.
WTF?
whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
The PennKey page doesn't do jack for you. I just logged in with my PennKey and got the same "panel disabled" message.
Edit: Severus beat me. Sorry about redundant info.
If I were a med school and I wanted to get a bunch of jittery pre-meds to freak out, this would pretty much be the best way to do it, and the best place to watch the fallout. Here's to a little hysteria! Cmon, this is at least a little funny.
I get "please enter your PennKey..." Do we have PennKeys? What is a PennKey?
Is this good news? Maybe it's like the good finaid message at HMS?
I got that too, and the next time I tried i got acess is denied. Maybe we are just not supposed to the link until we are entered into system?
Status: Accepted!!! 😀
good luck everybody!
how did you find out? i cant get access to the page???
Z
zimmie256
For those getting accepted, did you get an email from Penn first?? I still don't have anything new in my email...
whoa, 2 of you already were able to login and found out your acceptance? why is everyone else getting error messages (not even login interface box)?!?! aahhhh
Hmmm... do you think this inability to log in means bad things? Is their approach based on status (accepted, WL 1, WL 2) or alphabetical???
🙄
🙄
So First I got the "please enter your AMCAS ID and password."
Then I logged in to find "please enter your PennKey and ID."
Now I see when following the link posted above, "please enter your PennKey and ID,"
but when I try to log in from the admissions website, I get "file not found."
At some point in the past few minutes I also got "access denied."
So, I think it is safe to say that all bets are off and that they had a technical difficulty, and that we're all just going to have to wait

Then I logged in to find "please enter your PennKey and ID."
Now I see when following the link posted above, "please enter your PennKey and ID,"
but when I try to log in from the admissions website, I get "file not found."
At some point in the past few minutes I also got "access denied."
So, I think it is safe to say that all bets are off and that they had a technical difficulty, and that we're all just going to have to wait

Hmmm... do you think this inability to log in means bad things? Is their approach based on status (accepted, WL 1, WL 2) or alphabetical???
🙄
But how can it mean anything, since it's not letting some of us even open the login page?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just tried to log back in, and I got a "down for maintenance" -- and I've already been able to log and check. I think this just has more to do with issues with their website. As for what order they are going in, I seemed to be among the first to see and was a WL1 and have a last name near the front of the alphabet...
Hmmm... do you think this inability to log in means bad things? Is their approach based on status (accepted, WL 1, WL 2) or alphabetical???
🙄
I would bet Penn's servers just aren't handling the load well or that their IT people went live with the results DB before they finished updating it. Either way, a screwup on their part.
People talk about the slashdot effect. Let me be the first to coin the phrase "The SDN Effect"--the ability of hysterical premeds to crash a server.
But how can it mean anything, since it's not letting some of us even open the login page?
True. I just keep getting different information based on whether I 1.) am given the option to log in 2.) which link I choose. There is no pattern here. 👎
I would bet Penn's servers just aren't handling the load well or that their IT people went live with the results DB before they finished updating it. Either way, a screwup on their part.
People talk about the slashdot effect. Let me be the first to coin the phrase "The SDN Effect"--the ability of hysterical premeds to crash a server.
C'mon, Penn IT Services!
What address is everyone navigating to? I'm using the one from their original email, www.med.upenn.edu/apps/my/penmed_application
Z
zimmie256
Now I'm getting the "down for maintenance" again... But the error message is in a different font than it was this morning...
But how can it mean anything, since it's not letting some of us even open the login page?
I'm starting to think all of our obsessive logging in has crashed the system. ie: we did this to ourselves 🙁
For those getting accepted, did you get an email from Penn first?? I still don't have anything new in my email...
Nope, no email yet.
whoa, 2 of you already were able to login and found out your acceptance? why is everyone else getting error messages (not even login interface box)?!?! aahhhh
Maybe its cause I'm accessing the site from Mali - they must like overseas applicants better. 😉
Good luck everyone in your upcoming decisions!

I was accepted, and no I didn't receive an email first. So if you don't have an email, don't freak out. I don't know why the status page isn't working for some. Maybe it is taking a little time for all the changes to come up or maybe there are a few kinks.
![]()
![]()
C'mon, Penn IT Services!
Penn actually has really good IT overall. I toured their NOC as part of one of my jobs there and overall, it is very impressive. They did mention that they had some outdated stuff in some of the areas that got techy the earliest. The med school is probably just trying to run everyone's hopes and dreams of some crumby little server hidden in a back closet somewhere.
I just called the office of admissions. All i have to say is that i am VERY disappointed w the way they have handled this. The lady told me we'd all get an email later in the afternoon about this - so irresponsible. They wait so long to give us decisions, dont tell us the day they will release them and when we do find out, they have technical problems. give me a break.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What address is everyone navigating to? I'm using the one from their original email, www.med.upenn.edu/apps/my/penmed_application
small typo, here is the real address:
http://www.med.upenn.edu/apps/my/pennmed_application
I just called the office of admissions. All i have to say is that i am VERY disappointed w the way they have handled this. The lady told me we'd all get an email later in the afternoon about this - so irresponsible. They wait so long to give us decisions, dont tell us the day they will release them and when we do find out, they have technical problems. give me a break.
Welcome to Penn! 👍 This, you'll find, is pretty typical.
Now I'm getting the "down for maintenance" again... But the error message is in a different font than it was this morning...
exact same for me
I just logged out and when I tried to log back in..........
down for maintenance.
I don't know whats going on with them!
apparently there was just a small window when you could log in and see your status
down for maintenance.
I don't know whats going on with them!
apparently there was just a small window when you could log in and see your status
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 980
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 3K