UPenn vs. Indiana vs. UIC vs. Marquette vs. Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoldFilling

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Longtime sdn lurker here. I'm just looking to get your opinion and help with making a decision between these schools,. Thankfully I've been accepted to all five, and all five seem like truly great schools. Please vote! I realize that only I will be able to make the decision, but I value the opinion of the sdn community. I've listed the principle pros and cons of each school below. For contextual purposes, I am an Illinois resident, which makes UIC, Marquette and Indiana the closest options. I have an initial interest in specializing; however, I realize that I am just a naive pre-dent, so I'll leave it at that.

-Indiana:
Pros: Friendly environment, great faculty, all specialty clinics represented
Cons: As an OOS public school, is very expensive, and not quite up to Penn's standards in my mind, so I'm leaning towards ruling it out.

-UIC:
Pros: the cheapest school (IS), would allow me to stay very close to home, all specialty clinics, Chicago :)
Cons: I didn't quite like the school environment during my interview, although I don't doubt that the dental program is stellar

-UPenn:
Pros: Ivy name, friendly environment, great city, would probably allow me to have the best prospects for specialization and networking down the road, all specialty clinics, externship and research opportunities/emphasis
Cons: Very expensive, far from home

-Marquette:
Pros: Great environment, very friendly during interview, helpful faculty, family feel, 2nd cheapest school (Basically equal to UIC if I limit living expenses), decently close to home (approx. 2-2.5 hours)
Cons: Lack of some specialty clinics (OMFS, peds), lack of research

-Pitt:
Pros: Great city, awesome faculty and interview environment, relatively cheap for a private school
Cons: Far from home

Thanks in advance for the help, everybody! If you feel that you know something really notable about any of the above schools, don't hesitate to mention it, please.

Members don't see this ad.

If it were me in your shoes, I would consider UIC to be the ideal option. Close to your support system, cheap, and a very good school in a world-class city.

What about the school's environment did you not like, if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
If it were me in your shoes, I would consider UIC to be the ideal option. Close to your support system, cheap, and a very good school in a world-class city.

What about the school's environment did you not like, if you don't mind me asking?
I don't really want to bash the school, but the building didn't seem very visually appealing, and I met with students who didn't seem to love it there, compared to students from a school like Marquette or Pitt. Also, I got the sense that the Small Group Learning curriculum at UIC just isn't for me. I think the decision will come down to Marquette and UIC, in all likelihood. Is anybody facing a similar problem in deciding between the two?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also an Illinois resident, and I would choose Marquette if deciding between these schools. Even though it is your instate option, UIC is pretty much the same price as Marquette, and I feel like the facilities and overall atmosphere at Marquette were better.

I don't really want to bash the school, but the building didn't seem very visually appealing, and I met with students who didn't seem to love it there, compared to students from a school like Marquette or Pitt. Also, I got the sense that the Small Group Learning curriculum at UIC just isn't for me. I think the decision will come down to Marquette and UIC, in all likelihood. Is anybody facing a similar problem in deciding between the two?

Gotcha, how close in cost are the two? Is the Small Group Learning curriculum like PBL?

@Viva Terlingua
They're approximately the same. Marquette might even be cheaper, depending on living expenses. I think SGL is similar to PBL, but I could be wrong. I believe it revolves around studying cases with your peers rather than the typical lecture/ppt method.

@Viva Terlingua
They're approximately the same. Marquette might even be cheaper, depending on living expenses. I think SGL is similar to PBL, but I could be wrong. I believe it revolves around studying cases with your peers rather than the typical lecture/ppt method.

Ah, that changes things a bit for me - I would definitely prefer a more traditional class experience. I can see why you're having a tough time. All great schools though, so you'll make a good decision either way. Good luck!

UIC. Cheapest and Chicago > Philly (coming from a person who lived in Philly for years and loves the city).

Could any of the voters who voted UIC share their reasoning as to why? Especially in comparison to Marquette. Thanks!

I already listed why, I thought it was cheaper. If not then you can go either way.
Oh, like I said, they're essentially the same cost. The cost of living in Chicago is greater than that of living in Milwaukee, so I think that cancels out any of the differences in tuition/fees. That's why I'm looking for other reasons haha.

How would you all say Pitt compares to Marquette and UIC? I truly loved the school and its tuition/fees aren't all that different, even for OOS.

Honestly, I loved Marquette, Penn and Pitt. I've ruled out Penn to an extent because of the costs, and I'm not quite sold on UIC.

Between Pitt and Marquette, both schools are great and have similar price tags. Staying somewhat close to family is also a factor that comes into play; although Pitt may be "superior" in some respects, Marquette would allow me to stay relatively close to home.

Honestly, I loved Marquette, Penn and Pitt. I've ruled out Penn to an extent because of the costs, and I'm not quite sold on UIC.

Between Pitt and Marquette, both schools are great and have similar price tags. Staying somewhat close to family is also a factor that comes into play; although Pitt may be "superior" in some respects, Marquette would allow me to stay relatively close to home.
Come to Pitt :) Be my future classmate!

Reactions: 1 user