Upenn Vs. Uni of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bres

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where would you go between Upenn and uni. of Maryland?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Well Bres,
I dont know that much about Maryland, but I can tell you about some of the pluses about Upenn. I actually applied to both, but canceled my Maryland inteview becuase I had already gt into Penn, and it was so late. If you want to specialize, I would say Upenn right away. Upenn has one of the top placement rates into specialties in the nation. hey placed something like 15 people into ortho last year alone! They also have a brand new mutlimillion dollar facility called the RObert Schattner center, which is supposed to be one of the biggest facilities in the nation. Upenn is Ivy league, which also affords some recognition if you plan on practicing anywhere else other than the east coast. THe nice thing about Penn is that they divide the curriculm into research and cliinical, so you have expsoure to both, and let you take elective classes in parts of the field that you are more interested in. They also have many programs such as the dual DDS/MBA program, where they will pay the tuition to any business school you choose. The downside to Penn is the price, as tuition is around $42,000, but I dont know how much Maryland's is. I hope this helps some, let me know if you have any questions.

For Maryland, many always talk of the great clinical education you will recieve. Plus side over Penn is that Maryland's tution is much cheaper for in-state (even if you are out of state from what I hear it isn't that hard to change when you have been here for a year). From my limited exposure to the school, all the students seemed friendly and I really enjoy the atmosphere. Plus they are currently building the brand new dental school building, finishes in 2005 and will be the most modern dental facility in the USA. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bres:

I've talked to you many times about this issue. Anyways, I know how excited you were about PENN. Let me just tell you that you are very lucky to have gotten in, even this late. Cuz I know several people with 3.6+ and great DAT scores who didn't even get in.

Rather than looking at the money aspect, ask yourself if you will regret your decision later on. I know PENN was your top choice at the beginning of the cycle. Getting accepted later definately makes you rethink things.

Ask your Periodontist-Mentor where you should go.

I really hope to see you next year. Gimme a call if you want to discuss this in more detail.

DesiDentist

Thank you all for the valuable responses.

And Desidentist: Sorry about missing your call last time. I will keep in touch.