UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoodEats

SDN Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard from UPenn lately? Been waiting on them to hopefully schedule them with another interview up there in the Northeast. I'd love any word about how they're doling out interviews (every couple weeks, beginning of every month, no rhyme or reason), and by extension how long I'd be waiting if I was in on the next cycle. If there's no hope soon, then I'll just go ahead and schedule the other one...

Members don't see this ad.

How long have you been complete there? I've been complete since 8/8, but I don't think I'm a good measure because I'm only just praying for an interview :p

I, too, am curious to see how often Penn sends out interview invitations, though.

Sent in my secondary 8/3, and letters were received 8/8.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmmmm...I am also very interested in this question.

I sent in my application around mid August, never received a complete notice, and was invited for interview on Oct. 17th. I had my interview last week on Nov 9th.

Hope that helps!

Still waiting here as well. Would like to know soon too so that I could schedule an all-out East Coast tour (PA-NY-NH, maybe MA), considering the expenses and time constraints coming from Hawaii. It's gonna be cold though...

kalenakai said:
Still waiting here as well. Would like to know soon too so that I could schedule an all-out East Coast tour (PA-NY-NH, maybe MA), considering the expenses and time constraints coming from Hawaii. It's gonna be cold though...
Same here...although one of the students that I stayed with at my last interview said he didn't get an interview invite to Penn until February, so I haven't lost all hope yet

Well goodeats, looks like we're buddies on the complete date. I'm sending them an additional LOR (well, my boss/PI is sending it), so maybe they'll take another look at my application. I think they probably get a ton of applications, and truthfully I'm not expecting an interview. It would be awesome to get one though.

good luck to all :luck:

Updated with a deferred decision for the interview. Will hear some time between now and March as to the interview. Guess I'll go ahead and schedule that other interview now.

goodeats said:
Updated with a deferred decision for the interview. Will hear some time between now and March as to the interview. Guess I'll go ahead and schedule that other interview now.

Just wanted to let you guys know (which I'm sure you already do) that even if you get interviewed in March, you're not at any disadvantage.. non rolling truly means non-rolling.. I interviewed in late January last year and I got in straight away (not off the waitlist). So cheer up and keep the faith! :luck: :luck:

javert said:
Just wanted to let you guys know (which I'm sure you already do) that even if you get interviewed in March, you're not at any disadvantage.. non rolling truly means non-rolling.. I interviewed in late January last year and I got in straight away (not off the waitlist). So cheer up and keep the faith! :luck: :luck:
I was complete at UPenn by July 30th or so and I got an interview invite in mid-September. The interview was scheduled for October 15th. I bet they get slower as the application season goes on, so you guys should just be patient. Non-rolling schools seem to take longer anyway. Good luck!! :luck: :luck:

yesterday, the website said that my decision on interview has been deferred for now... wish i'd hear something from my local, MA schools....

isobel said:
yesterday, the website said that my decision on interview has been deferred for now... wish i'd hear something from my local, MA schools....

I'm in this boat as well... cool, does this mean I finally get to post on the Wall of Lame??? :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anything we can do to improve our chances of getting off that deferred status?

could someone post the link to the application status page?....i'm at work at don't have it

thanks hanjoko......not what I wanted to see tho, I too have been deferred an interview decision. But I guess that's better than an outright rejection, considering my stats.

isobel said:
yesterday, the website said that my decision on interview has been deferred for now...
I just checked and have the same status update: "The Committee on Admissions reviewed your application but has deferred an interview decision. Additional reviews will occur between now and March 2006 to see if your status changes within our applicant pool."

Does anyone know how many people (if any) make it out of this pre-interview hold?

Ughh.. Did anyone have any trouble using Virtual Evals? I just checked my status page, and they dont have my LOR's! I sent in my secondary in july I think, so one would think they'd get around to checking for the letters...

When I just checked my status page it said "Your application is now in the screening process." How long were your applications "in the screening process" before you got a message about your application being deferred for an interview?

unfrozencaveman said:
Ughh.. Did anyone have any trouble using Virtual Evals? I just checked my status page, and they dont have my LOR's! I sent in my secondary in july I think, so one would think they'd get around to checking for the letters...

My school submitted my LORs using VE around mid Sept., and the website said they were received 1 or 2 weeks later. In your case, I'd definitely check to see what's up.

javert said:

Were you also in the "deferred screening" group when you got the interview invite, or did you just submit your application late? Basically, I'm wondering if that status is just a prolonged wait until a rejection or if people actually get interviews?

Caligirl98 said:
When I just checked my status page it said "Your application is now in the screening process." How long were your applications "in the screening process" before you got a message about your application being deferred for an interview?
I was complete on August 9th. Just updated to on hold yesterday, I think. (I didn't check until today.)

goodeats said:
Anyone heard from UPenn lately? Been waiting on them to hopefully schedule them with another interview up there in the Northeast. I'd love any word about how they're doling out interviews (every couple weeks, beginning of every month, no rhyme or reason), and by extension how long I'd be waiting if I was in on the next cycle. If there's no hope soon, then I'll just go ahead and schedule the other one...
i meant to ask you about this, havent seen you too much though. ever thought about writing or calling them to say youll be in the area and want to know whats up? ive heard of ppl doing this i think

Shredder said:
i meant to ask you about this, havent seen you too much though. ever thought about writing or calling them to say youll be in the area and want to know whats up? ive heard of ppl doing this i think
Yeah, if it's your top choice you should totally do this. I did it at Baylor and was handed an acceptance at the meeting!

Shredder said:

i kind of tried this, but not very forcefully. was replied to with a very curt reply of "I know only as much as you do on your website." i think before i buy my ticket to the cold cold coollld northeast, i'll try to get a word in with one of the deans somehow, even if it's by e-mail.

HC05nmd said:
thanks hanjoko......not what I wanted to see tho, I too have been deferred an interview decision. But I guess that's better than an outright rejection, considering my stats.

sheeet, i just checked my status and i am deffered too... not what i wanted to see either

i wouldn't be surprised if the deferrals are just due to all of the fall interviews being allotted already, and they don't want to start scheduling the spring ones yet. thus by default, everybody still in the process is automatically deferred to a later date.

question for those of you who got interviews: did the status page update and tell you that you were going to be interviewed, or did you just find out by email without any change in the status page??

vn2004 said:
question for those of you who got interviews: did the status page update and tell you that you were going to be interviewed, or did you just find out by email without any change in the status page??

I got an email. Then I logged onto the status page and there are new tabs for scheduling the interview, info about Penn's curriculum, etc. Good luck!

goodeats said:
i wouldn't be surprised if the deferrals are just due to all of the fall interviews being allotted already, and they don't want to start scheduling the spring ones yet. thus by default, everybody still in the process is automatically deferred to a later date.
I would be... :( but I like your optimistic theory! :thumbup:

Anyone recall when acceptance decisions are made for acceptances? I know it's sometime in March, but does anyone have an exact date?

Also, on interview day current Penn students talked about how the adcom made a mistake and posted the admissions decisions online early. So people who were accepted saw balloons on their status page. Anyone know how early these decisions were made?

As for interview timeline, Penn may only schedule interviews a month in advance. I was invited in mid-sept and was only offered interview dates in Oct.

Gah, damn you UPenn... the only school that I'm still waiting on. Please let me get on with my life.

Penn offers a limited number of interview dates when they invite you to interview, but if you want a later date than those offered, you can contact the admissions office directly instead of selecting one of the online dates.

I was really impressed by Penn during my interview. They did a great job selling the school. Anyone else who interviewed at Penn have any thoughts? I loved the 1.5 yr science curriculum and the opportunity for dual degrees at Wharton, etc.

My status just changed online today (yeah, I'm OCD like that and check it everyday): I've been deferred for a possible interview at a future time. Ah well, I guess I'll wait some more...

kalenakai said:
My status just changed online today (yeah, I'm OCD like that and check it everyday): I've been deferred for a possible interview at a future time. Ah well, I guess I'll wait some more...

I think that's a good sign. It means that they've actually looked at your application. Mine has been "under screening" for so long that I'm starting to get very antsy...

isobel said:

help. i can't figure out how to check my status on the upenn website. them and freakin harvard. obvi i shouldn't go there since the website alone baffles me.

unicorn06 said:
Penn offers a limited number of interview dates when they invite you to interview, but if you want a later date than those offered, you can contact the admissions office directly instead of selecting one of the online dates.

I was really impressed by Penn during my interview. They did a great job selling the school. Anyone else who interviewed at Penn have any thoughts? I loved the 1.5 yr science curriculum and the opportunity for dual degrees at Wharton, etc.
my clear 1st choice after going there. it was stunning i thought, loved it. 1.5 yr science sounds jam packed, but wharton, excellent...

they have this place called LDI that i like too. also i thought philly was a great city, could totally see myself there. similar to houston only much better, more like a real city instead of sprawl

Wow. Just called Penn- apparently my advisor forgot to put Penn on my list to Virtual Evals. Good thing it was just Penn, my alma mater, source of my recs, publications, all hospital experience...

ok, problem solved, app went into review... Place your bets on how long it will take to get the "deferred interview status"

unfrozencaveman said:
ok, problem solved, app went into review... Place your bets on how long it will take to get the "deferred interview status"

Don't expect it too quickly... I've been under review for a while now....

I talked to several med students at PennMed at an AMSA meeting, and the consensus seems that just about everyone is happy. Sure, everything may be compressed into a year and a half, but the advantages gained are so much worth it. Even the compression isn't bad; many of the students still find ample free time over the weekend.

Penn also seems to have a very relaxed student atmosphere. The first semester is pass/fail, and the pass marks are set at a certain level. Students often help each other out a lot, so there's a huge supportful community.

PennMed is def. gonna be my first choice when I do apply to med schools.

mashce said:
Don't expect it too quickly... I've been under review for a while now....

me too. what i can't figure out is whether still being under review is better or worse than having been deferred. i don't know if anyone out there can shed some light on this. i mean, have they just not looked at my app yet or are they still debating whether or not to defer me for later)? :confused:

Shredder said:
my clear 1st choice after going there. it was stunning i thought, loved it. 1.5 yr science sounds jam packed, but wharton, excellent...

they have this place called LDI that i like too. also i thought philly was a great city, could totally see myself there. similar to houston only much better, more like a real city instead of sprawl

By the way, Shredder, the company I work for is partnered with LDI. That place is awesome, and my guess would be right up your alley.

Sorry guys, it was me. I broke the application status site by refreshing it 10 times a minute for the past week. :mad:

So does PENN reject anyone or do they wait until March to start rejecting people? I'm on the stupid "deferred for an interview" list and am wondering if this is just a list for those they want to reject.

Retrovyrus said:
So does PENN reject anyone or do they wait until March to start rejecting people? I'm on the stupid "deferred for an interview" list and am wondering if this is just a list for those they want to reject.

Is there anyone on this site who got a Penn interview after getting that "deferred for an interview" status?

Shredder said:

How is Philly like Houston at all? The weather, people, culture, pretty much everything is completely different. Houston is probably more culturally diverse; I think Philly has a much higher percentage of African Americans. Also, if UT Austin is not conservative enough for you, Philly is going to REALLY piss you off. I agree that Penn is a great school, but you should probably reevaluate why you like Philly so much.