UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was just wondering if anyone knows (I don't happen to have a copy of the MSAR)... I am scheduled for an interview on Jan 25.. what is the interview process like? Also, another important thing I think about is the numbers game. How many people do they interview and what percentage of which do they accept? What is the percentage of people who get in off the waitlist etc... If someone has this info I would love to hear it :) Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

barnes has a book called US news ultimate guide to med school, and this is very similar to msar with stats and school profiles. msar i think you can only order it so instant access is impossible unless maybe you check your library or premed office.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just discovered all of these posts and felt compelled to reply. While certain people in this thread are spending hours trying to explain to you all of the bad things about penn and talking about how admissions only sells the good parts, you gotta realize they're being hypocritical by only selling the bad points... in general, if people complain soo much about little things than i would conclude that they're just unhappy in med school in general... yes, I am a first year, and so I can't speak about clinics or second year but I am in module 2 now and have just finished a block and yes, most people honored it because it is a grade cut off, NOT a bell curve cut off... the same is true of the block we're currently in : Brain and Behavior... And let me tell you, I got way more study guides for this block than I've ever gotten during pass/fail almost to the point of I didn't want to check my e-mail any more cuz there were sooo many things... people have class pride and everyone wants our class to do well... As far as tons of "stupid classes" this of course, is an opinion driven thing.. for example, every week right now we have an afternoon which ends by 3 or 4 (and not during our three afternoons off a week which we STILL have at least now) called health care systems.. i happen to find this class extremely interesting and useful because its all about the stuff I never knew (how insurance works, how doctors get paid etc) that I find essential to learn about to understand the dynamics of my career. Now if you already know all about these things, you may find it boring and useless... this all depends.... I could go on and on but whats the point

Aside: To applicants bitching about Penn only going on stats, let me tell you... Penn was the only top 20 school to interview me (I have a 30 MCAT) (while schools like Tufts and Mt. Siani were like peace out) and I know of at least 5 other people who had either a 30 or 31 who are in our class and not to mention and MD/PhD who had a 31 MCAT... so i think anyone who says Penn tends to go on stats more than other schools doesn't really know what they're talking about... I will say that the average age in our class is 23 and the oldest people starting out were 29 so as far as comparing to like G-town where when I interviewed, the oldest 1st year was 47, yea u're not gonna find that here... but that doesn't mean they hold non-trads in disfavor... at least 20% of our class are non-trads...

javert said:
I just discovered all of these posts and felt compelled to reply. While certain people in this thread are spending hours trying to explain to you all of the bad things about penn and talking about how admissions only sells the good parts, you gotta realize they're being hypocritical by only selling the bad points... in general, if people complain soo much about little things than i would conclude that they're just unhappy in med school in general...

I wasn't that unhappy for most of my med school time. There's sometimes when I was happy and sometimes when I wasn't. The times I was unahppy had little to do med school, usually. What I've been saying is, the school sells itself as a whole different med school animal when I don't see how. Still, I fail to see how I'm being "hypocritical" in pointing that out, and I think it's really sad for you to resort to personal attacks in this discussion.

the same is true of the block we're currently in : Brain and Behavior...

B&B wasn't too bad, though when I got pneumonia I was told I'd have to write 2-3 pages of make up homework for each section that I missed, despite having been a neuroscience undergrad. I just went and tried not to cough on anyone. Being told I'd have lots of makeup homework for missing sections for things like serious illness, my dad's second and third organ transplants, my grandmother's funeral, and medical mission work abroad is what made me probably the most angry at the school's administration. I guess that's complaining soo much about "little things"? I'll leave that to those reading the forum to decide.

And let me tell you, I got way more study guides for this block than I've ever gotten during pass/fail almost to the point of I didn't want to check my e-mail any more cuz there were sooo many things... people have class pride and everyone wants our class to do well... As far as tons of "stupid classes" this of course, is an opinion driven thing.. for example, every week right now we have an afternoon which ends by 3 or 4 (and not during our three afternoons off a week which we STILL have at least now) called health care systems.. i happen to find this class extremely interesting and useful because its all about the stuff I never knew (how insurance works, how doctors get paid etc) that I find essential to learn about to understand the dynamics of my career. Now if you already know all about these things, you may find it boring and useless... this all depends.... I could go on and on but whats the point

Maybe your class is less competitive than mine? One thing that changed is that they no longer give students access to last year's exams for module 2 classes, so we have some old exams but they're getting older and older each year. Maybe this has the strange side effect of fostering cooperation due to anxiety as to what will be on the exams increases?

No, it does sound like they improved HCS quite a bit. They did add a test, a huge final paper, and made everything required, but at least it doesn't seem as completely useless as when I took it. This is what I was saying before: my main gripe is with the sheer volume of the new added classes, not a major gripe with any one class. The administration pledged to fix the 8-5 coursework that my year had, and while I didn't think they did for last year's class, maybe they have now? I don't know, opinions vary.

Aside: To applicants bitching about Penn only going on stats, let me tell you... Penn was the only top 20 school to interview me (I have a 30 MCAT) (while schools like Tufts and Mt. Siani were like peace out) and I know of at least 5 other people who had either a 30 or 31 who are in our class and not to mention and MD/PhD who had a 31 MCAT... so i think anyone who says Penn tends to go on stats more than other schools doesn't really know what they're talking about... I will say that the average age in our class is 23 and the oldest people starting out were 29 so as far as comparing to like G-town where when I interviewed, the oldest 1st year was 47, yea u're not gonna find that here... but that doesn't mean they hold non-trads in disfavor... at least 20% of our class are non-trads...

Since I started, the average MCAT score has been going steadily upwards (your class was what... 34.6?) and the average admitted age has been going steadily downwards. I don't know how 20% of your class can be non-trad when the average matriculating age was 22.4 and the oldest was... what? 29? There's alot of third and fourth years who think this is a disturbing trend fueled by changes in the administration.

But, what can I say, the nail that sticks out gets hammered so I'll stfu now. Maybe you'll really continue to like it here and I hope you do. I'll still continue to tell all applicants that you should be choosing med school based on 1) Where you get in, 2) Financial aid offers, and 3) Location in that order. Indeed, that's what I think most people choose on, but alot of people are sold by that Penn name... In any case, overall, I'm happy I came here, though my decision was based more on research and location being an MD/PhD. For the poster above me, I'm sure Penn was the right choice for her based on the things I mentioned above.

This gets back to my original point. Penn was the right choice for me and while there are many things I don't like, there are many things I do like. People often want to hear what I don't like, so I tell them how I feel about things when other people who don't like things won't say how they feel. I hear frequently that I'm the only one who will give people the full picture or that I'm the only one who is completely frank and honest with them.

The problem is, when you say anything negative, you're portrayed as a really negative person in general and you tend to get in trouble for saying negative things with important people. I'm sick of the polarization. "Look at what a happy person I am and how great everything is and what an unhappy over-critical person he is... Ignore him." I challenge people to go back and read my posts and UCLA2k's posts and decide for themselves if they're really negative, down on medical school type posts. I don't think they're unjustly or even mostly negative. They're just critical appraisals about things we do and don't like. That being said, the poster above me has every right to be very happy with the school, and I hope everyone gets all sides of all the issues and decides for themselves. That's what I love about SDN.

This is medicine. If you're critical of things around you, you'll be in deep crap. If you say anything to an applicant about something you don't like, another student will jump to defend against whatever you just said even if they agree with you or have no idea about the topic because they aren't in your year (i.e. defend clinics when they aren't there yet, defend cirriculum changes done years after they were there). I've said alot of negative and positive things about the school, but people know me for being negative because I'm the only one who will say ANYTHING negative. It's not the culture I expected, but that's life. That's bad, as the things that are bad or broken in medicine don't get fixed because there's so much pressure to keep your mouth shut. I find it really hard to believe the poster above me hasn't found things she doesn't like, but if she has she'll be like most medical students (and residents, and attendings, on up) and not share them in any public forum.

Does anyone know when revisit weekend will be this year? I'm trying to coordinate things with my boyfriend who is applying to grad school, and he has to let some schools know whether he will go there or not by April 15. Any chance revisit will be before that?

Neuronix and Javert,

I just wanted to reply to let you two know that I do appreciate the dialogue between the two of you. I agree with Neuronix that people who express sincere by negative opinions often become villified online, but I do want to say that I find both sides of the coin to be useful to listen to. Thanks again to both of you.

ditto... after my interview, i was blown away. i recently wrote a letter to the director of admissions letting her know that its my top choice school because of x y and z. I also sent in my current grades with the letter... do you think this was a good idea? i was sincere about it, but i'm pretty sure they get tons of correspondance like this... i wonder if i am being too intense by sending a letter, or do you kind of have to be for this type of school...?

quick post about penn from a penn ms1. no school is perfect but from my own experiences and what i hear from my friends at other schools i would not choose to be anywhere else. some factual points. 3 afternoons a week off really means 3 afternoons a week off. and often tuesdays and thursdays you'll get out by 3 or 4. rarely not until 5. usually each morning there are 1-2 hours of small group which *are* required. lectures are completely optional and if you don't like learning from lecture (i don't) you don't have to go (i haven't been in at least 3 months). everything is online if you want it: notes, powerpoints, syllabi, videos, mp3s, everything. i have also never been to any review on the weekend or anything like that (i guess there were a few of these for anatomy but that was for our benefit. the 4th years coming in on the weekends to help us identify structures on cadavers, if we felt like we needed it. completely out of the goodwill of the 4th years). doctoring and health care systems and classes like that are the hardest to teach and will always be hit or miss, although from what i hear from my friends at other schools penn does a pretty good job comparatively. i LOVED my pt-doctor class but it obviously depended on your section leaders. health cares systems i found boring at times, but often EXTREMELY INFORMATIVE AND RELEVANT. most of all i have found the administration pretty receptive to student input. i went to harvard undergrad and hated the cold shoulder the students got there and have close friends at hms, hopkins med, and columbia p&s, and the administration here seems lightyears ahead in terms of responsiveness to student input. there were a few occasions where we had problems with lecturers or scheduling or something related and immediately it was taken care of by our course reps (ms1 representatives who meet with the faculty course leaders for each block ever week). in addition one of our classmates was out of school for a significant amount of time during last semester because of a serious illness. he had to make up his exams, but it seemed to me that he felt like he was given enough time to make up the material and that he was treated fairly. i can't comment on how the administration was in previous years but at least for our year they have been pretty amazing. thoughts about our class: our ms1 class has gained a reputation for being "intense." whether true or false, we have been told again and again that our test grades are the highest in years. in fact our entire class was doing so well in our 3-part anatomy course that they cancelled the 3rd exam completely (does that sound like an unfair and unreasonable administration/faculty?). now, our class also sends out a riduculous amount of study materials out to each other, even after we began our second semester, which is graded h/p/f, when some would expect us to become more competitive. for example, currently we are in brain and behavior, and every day it seems like i get a new email with a link to some website with 3d models of brains structures or some powerpoint that someone's section leader made that a fellow ms1 is passing on. certainly i will admit that many people started studying harder once the second (honors) semester started, which is to be expected, but people also started helping each other out more than ever before (the increase in shared study materials is just one example of that). since honors are determined by 90% grade cutoff, not by curve, there's no disincentive to cooperate. ie there's no limit to how many people can get honors. i would like to think that the success my class has had on tests is partly, possibly because we're a little more intense than previous classes but also because we seem to do a really good job of helping each other out. last block there were weekly presentations given by md/phd students as optional lectures and even these were incredibly well attended--i really think this was indicative of how supportive our class is (and right before the exams the md/phds sent out summaries of their talks to help us prepare for the exam, completely on their own accord and not because they were required to). obviously this is a generalization but i'm this is the overwhelming impression i get. also the 1.5 year compression doesn't mean that you'll never go out. it completely depends on how you study. some people like going to every lecture and that's how they learn. other people skip lectures and then watch them at home at 2X speed or just read the notes. obviously some of these methods are more time consuming but as long as you stick to what works for you you'll usually have plenty of free time. the week before exams is certainly busier, but there were definitely blocks last semester where i went out almost every night even in the week before the exam (i like to always stay on schedule and not leave my studying end-heavy). one of my closest friends likes to zone out practically for 2-3 weeks completely and lock himself indoors for that last week or so. really, it's whatever you make of it. i'm certainly not penn's biggest cheerleader, in fact i'm definitely considered one of the most penn-critical members of our class, but honestly there is nowhere else i'd rather be (obviously i haven't attended any other med schools, admittedly this is based on lots of secondhand accounts from friends). penn really does everything in its power to streamline med school and take out the bull****. however, to be fair, i do have a few complaints. i DO think the school OVERSELLS the dual degree thing. i'm not really at that point in my med school career where i'm exposed ot that sort of thing, but i do think the school makes it sound a lot easier to do than it is. the LEAPP (longitudinal patient shadowing) is also hit or miss. the times i've shadowed i've really enjoyed and felt like i learned some important things, but it's so sporadic and somewhat poorly organized that i've basically forgotten about it. but it's certainly not BAD. also i think they oversell global health/public health opportunites. TONS of my classmates are involved in global health, access to essential medicines, etc, so it's not like you shouldn't go here if you care about that kind of stuff. but certainly hopkins and hms are the juggernaughts for that kind of thing. i DO care about global health a great deal. i still would NOT choose to go to hms or hopkins if i had the option again, for many other reasons. but i certinaly ADMIT that hms and hopkins are the leaders in the public health field. this is one area in which penn could really catch up. also, it is true that the 2nd years after entering the clinics have been relatively MIA, as are the 3rd years (i haven't been there myself, but seriously, it's the clinics, to me it seems important to learn in clinics, maybe that's just me), but the 4th years party pretty insanely hardcore. because of penn's curriculum, 4th year is incredibly flexible and really is exactly what you make of it, and the pressure, if there was any to begin with, really is completely off. also, it is true that our vacations are shorter. that's a bummer but whatevs. can't win 'em all. there, that's my 2 cents. i can't believe i took the time to write this but i really did want to present the perspective of a penn ms1 who is not a penn-cheerleader/tour guide type.

Thanks so much, eleganttouch, for your comments...they were very helpful. Right now, I'm trying to decide between Hopkins and Penn, and I'm wondering if you could compare the two for me since you said you wouldn't go to Hopkins for many reasons. I'd really appreciate it!

JennyL867 said:
Thanks so much, eleganttouch, for your comments...they were very helpful. Right now, I'm trying to decide between Hopkins and Penn, and I'm wondering if you could compare the two for me since you said you wouldn't go to Hopkins for many reasons. I'd really appreciate it!

You heard back from Penn?

I totally loved Penn when I went to interview in November, and I'm waiting anxiously to hear back. For those of you who are current students, do you know when they send out their decisions? Thanks!

Kazazzle12 said:
I totally loved Penn when I went to interview in November, and I'm waiting anxiously to hear back. For those of you who are current students, do you know when they send out their decisions? Thanks!

Last year's class heard around March 23rd, so I assume it'll be around the same time this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
NoSoupforYou13 said:
You heard back from Penn?

No, I haven't heard back from Penn, but I have to make my final decision a little earlier. I'm trying to coordinate things with my boyfriend who is applying to grad school and has to make his final decision by April 15. So I'm trying to decide where I would go if I do and do not get into Penn and such...since I won't have much time to think things over once I hear from Penn and before April 15 comes along.

Anyone know if decisions will be posted on the status page, or if we'll only get them by mail?

2010MD said:
Anyone know if decisions will be posted on the status page, or if we'll only get them by mail?

Another thread says it will show up on the status page, probably the 3rd week of March. I don't know how reliable that info is though.

tigress said:
I find it interesting that you thought I was bashing the school. In fact, I think it's an excellent school, no doubt about it. And almost all the students I know who go there (or recently graduated) are nice people, too (and I definitely can't say the same for some other schools I know of).

Yes, I do have an allegiance to another med school in the area. That said, there's no doubt that Penn is the best school here, hands down, if you're interested in prestige, research opportunities, match list, etc.

If you don't think a 3rd year knows his own class, than how can you claim to know yours? I know very many Penn students, some of them quite well, from different classes as well as some who are in residency now (or just completed residency). And no, my own sampling probably isn't representative of the entire student body, but they have all agreed with me that the student body isn't all that diverse (while at the same time raving over the school and how much they love(d) it).

I also want to mention that I've received multiple PMs agreeing with me on this issue. It's not that I want to argue. I just want to point out that stats really are probably more important at Penn than at other Ivies, there are percentage-wise fewer non-trads at Penn than at many of the other top-20, and that the class, while made up of smart and friendly and great people, isn't particularly diverse. So if you're a non-trad or if your stats aren't stellar, don't sweat it if you don't get an interview.

edit: In re-reading my statement that you quoted, I realized I should have left it at "least diverse", not "least interesting." I have no way of gauging the latter, and certainly I have met a number of interesting Penn students, whatever that means.

I checked your mdapplicants profile. My MCAT score is lower than yours, and I interviewed at Penn back in October. It's not all stats. I met several students while I was there that had quite diverse and non-traditional backgrounds. Maybe the people you know are just uninteresting with high stats. All med schools are bound to have some of them.

On Diversity of Penn:

I interviewed back in November, and had an awesome time there. The reception (including a Diversity at a Glance" at Penn Med was really cool and personal. They are the only school that showed me their stats w/minority applicants (as in they gave me a very descriptive hand out) and gave me the perspective on minority students currently enrolled (was able to stay with kids from BLHO and was given a great presentation). I had to say everyone that I met at Penn was really cool/nice (maybe THE coolest), especially the minority population that I met. They really made an effort to allow me(and other URMs)to meet current Penn Med minority students. A great effort (also UofMichigan is awesome about this)!

Good luck everyone hearing back next month!!!

Just got this e-mail (as I assume anyone else interested did too, so I'm not sure why I'm posting it)... looks like we'll be hearing after 3/20.

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your interest in the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.
The final admissions decisions will be made available to all applicants via the
admissions status page ( www.med.upenn.edu/apps/my/application ) the week of March 20.
A letter will also be mailed to your AMCAS preferred contact address at that time.

Sincerely,

University of Pennsylvania
School of Medicine
Office of Admissions and Financial Aid

yep... sounds like the admissions office is sick of getting calls asking when decisions are going to be sent...

we just have to sit and wait out this month patiently.

it's really hard to do while surfing SDN. I should go do something else ....

2010MD said:
Just got this e-mail (as I assume anyone else interested did too, so I'm not sure why I'm posting it)... looks like we'll be hearing after 3/20.

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your interest in the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.
admissions status page ( www.med.upenn.edu/apps/my/application ) the week of March 20.
A letter will also be mailed to your AMCAS preferred contact address at that time.

Sincerely,

School of Medicine

I almost had a heart attack when I saw an email from Penn in my inbox. My hands are still shaking. It's going to be a long couple of weeks... :scared:

2010MD, thanks for the post. For some reason it takes a few hours for Penn's emails to fall into my inbox.

I'm with everyone else--it's going to be a long month.

argonana said:
I wonder if they will email us when our statuses have been updated.

Even if they do, you know that won't stop you from checking the status page every 10 seconds starting at midnight on March 20th. :p At least, that's what I plan on doing. Looks like I won't be getting any thesis work done that week either (not that the last few weeks have been any different). Between checking the page compulsively and either jumping for joy or mending my broken heart for days after... :eek:

Hmmm...anyone else not get that email?

Also, did everyone fill out their FinAid form? That was the longest thing I have done so far for FinAid. Good Luck everyone!

I think it would have made more sense if they had sent the message only to those applicants who were interviewed. :idea: The email only served to remind (and further annoy) me that I got no love from my alma mater! :( :thumbdown:

Good luck to the rest of you! :luck:

2010MD said:

Dear Applicant,

Sincerely,

School of Medicine

The March 20th info is on my status page, but I didn't get this email. Why would they only send this email to some people?

SailCrazy said:
I think it would have made more sense if they had sent the message only to those applicants who were interviewed. :idea: The email only served to remind (and further annoy) me that I got no love from my alma mater! :( :thumbdown:

Good luck to the rest of you! :luck:

It would also make more sense if they sent the email to everyone who had interviewed...As I said in my last post, I didn't get the email...

2010MD said:

Dear Applicant,

Sincerely,

School of Medicine

Got this also sans interview... Guess I know what I'll be getting... Hehe... Got my local school acceptance so I'lll be alright... <wipes away tears>, hehe

K

OK, I got the email as well later in the afternoon. Guess they sent them out in baches.

I got the email also...

Anyone with inside information on when the committee actually meets? Also, are the docs that we interviewed with on the admissions committee, or do they just submit reports?

thanks!

pallcare said:
Anyone with inside information on when the committee actually meets? Also, are the docs that we interviewed with on the admissions committee, or do they just submit reports?

thanks!

The tour guide at my interview said that the interviewers submit your report right away. I might be confusing this with other schools, but I'm pretty sure she said that you get a ranking from the interview and a ranking from your paper application and that in mid-March they get together and use those rankings to decide who gets in.

pallcare said:

thanks!

A friend who is a second year at Penn told me last night that his AdCom friends said they are still in the process making decisions, but I don't know when or how often the committee meets. The doctor who interviewed me said that all he does is write a report after the interview to submit to the committee; he wasn't on the committee himself. I vaguely remember hearing that the committee makes an initial decision right after the interviews, but waits until March to go through all the interviewed applicants again before announcing decisions. I don't know how true that last bit is though.

Countdown to March 20th: 16 days (+ 1-4 days depending on when that week decisions actually come out) :p

Is UPenn still interviewing? Or am I wasting my time sending a LOI?

Punisher--I think Penn completed its interviews in February. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

I was searching through some old Penn threads, and I found a couple bits of info that we all might find useful:

-Penn will send us an email when our statuses have been updated.
-Last year, decisions came out the day following the date provided in the update email (i.e., on a TUESDAY).
-For the past two years, there have been "leaks" on the status page! A week before decisions were officially released last year, for just one night, people who logged onto the page found an acceptance message and a "Penn Preview" tab if they'd been accepted.

As for waitlists...there are 2.5 tiers:
-Top of tier 1 (indicates a high likelihood of getting in)
-Tier 1 (similar to a regular waitlist)
-Tier 2 (not that common; equivalent to a rejection?)

Here are the links if anyone's interested:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=186199&highlight=penn (2005 thread)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=107362&highlight=Penn+"status+page" (2004 thread)

Anybody know the stats for Penn? # interviewed, # accepted, # waitlisted, etc?

Thanks

ChocolateKiss said:
The tour guide at my interview said that the interviewers submit your report right away. I might be confusing this with other schools, but I'm pretty sure she said that you get a ranking from the interview and a ranking from your paper application and that in mid-March they get together and use those rankings to decide who gets in.

I heard this too. Pretty much your interviewers score you on a scale (i.e. 1-6) on whether or not they think you would be a good fit for Penn. Your application was scored in a similar manner for interviews. Highest scores get in. Adcom/interviewers notes are reviewed and compared for students with the same score. Actual details may vary, but this is what I gleaned from talking to my faculty and student interviewers.

argonana said:
Punisher--
-For the past two years, there have been "leaks" on the status page! A week before decisions were officially released last year, for just one night, people who logged onto the page found an acceptance message and a "Penn Preview" tab if they'd been accepted.

That sounds pretty sneaky! Can anyone confirm this?

MGD said:
That sounds pretty sneaky! Can anyone confirm this?

I heard this before on SDN, but who knows. I'm sure if that's the case the SDN boards will let us know with like a 3 sec delay=)

i must confess, the only reason I am on SDN these days is to see if there's any new info about Penn....yikes i'm obsessed!

pallcare said:
I heard this before on SDN, but who knows. I'm sure if that's the case the SDN boards will let us know with like a 3 sec delay=)

i must confess, the only reason I am on SDN these days is to see if there's any new info about Penn....yikes i'm obsessed!

Same here! I applied to 17 schools, and it's the only one I find myself caring about. I am waiting to hear from about 5 schools, and have stopped even checking my mail because I know I can find out from Penn online. I hear Columbia sent out decisions...have I checked my PO box in the last week? No. I really do have an unhealthy obsession with Penn. I will be devastated if I don't get in. So setting myself up to possibly fall HARD.

Punisher said:
Is UPenn still interviewing? Or am I wasting my time sending a LOI?

They finished in Feb. Isn't that just really ****ty that they keep saying we're under review when we're not. They need to be more truthful and just send out the rejections. I'm sick of the adcoms and their inability to run this process well.

Since I've pretty much accepted the fact that I won't be able to concentrate on anything until UPenn decisions come out next week, I thought I'd post some potentially semi-useful infomation about financial aid :rolleyes:

I called last week to make sure Penn had received all my financial aid paperwork. Somewhere on the website it says that you can track the receipt of your documents on the financial aid page, but I couldn't find it. The lady in the office told me that they have yet to get the financial aid status page up and running, and she still has a stack of paperwork on her desk to wade through. Once they have it up though (she didn't say when it would be), you should be able to see on the status page whether they've received your FAFSA, tax forms, etc.

I'm going to go pretend to work on my thesis for like 10 minutes until I get another irresistable urge to check the Penn website or SDN again :p

I believe this is the thread we were looking for. Back then it wasn't so meaningful, but now that Penn has become a reality, I find this post invaluable.

hello all ive applyed to go to penn, hoping to get in :eek:

TheMightyAngus said:
I heard this too. Pretty much your interviewers score you on a scale (i.e. 1-6) on whether or not they think you would be a good fit for Penn. Your application was scored in a similar manner for interviews. Highest scores get in. Adcom/interviewers notes are reviewed and compared for students with the same score. Actual details may vary, but this is what I gleaned from talking to my faculty and student interviewers.

Yes, and ~90-95% of the applicants will score from 1-2 (1 being highest) on their interview forms. That's a very small part of the application unless someone interviews really really well (~5%) or poorly (~5%). There's alot of reasons for this, but the interview basically comes down to a screen for the very interesting or the really socially inept (who can't pretend to be a decent person for an hour?).