UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Slide said:
the consensus seems that just about everyone is happy.

:laugh: This is true for first years, who haven't yet gotten much real pressure, still view med school as a novelty, and are the vast majority of those you'll meet in and out of the school because they're the only ones with the time and interest to hang out with you. Most of the people you'll meet are totally political. Nobody will say anything bad even if they think it, except for me, and I stick out like a sore thumb because of it.

Students often help each other out a lot, so there's a huge supportful community.

:laugh: some more.

Admissions really does do a really good job of selling the school... Yes, I am a current Penn student. I wouldn't say not to come here, but I would say it's not the happy-happy, we love our students and they love us, land admissions sells it to be or the administration tries to pretend it is. If you have any questions besides the "Do you think I'll get in?" stuff that I can't answer, I'd be happy to answer any PMs or posts.

FAQs: Pre-interview deferrment is almost certainly a rejection. Sorry. Philly is WAYYYYY better than Houston (my gf is a Houston native, and she agrees). As for the dual degree programs, I agree, they're a great opportunity. But remember, you're not going to get into Wharton's dual degree program with little/no business experience or the MD/PhD program with little/no research experience. Alot of applicants seem to think they can just pick up a second degree, but it's more complicated than that in most cases.

Members don't see this ad.

Neuronix said:
...Pre-interview deferrment is almost certainly a rejection...

I got one of these today. It wasn't a big surprise given my stats and all. I'm sending another letter of rec just in case they look at my app again.

Shredder said:
my clear 1st choice after going there. it was stunning i thought, loved it.

Ditto. Best school EVER. I've divided my med schools into two categories. Penn and Everybody Else. I hope I am not setting myself up for disappointment! Does anyone know how they respond to letters of intent post-interview, pre-decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
LT8R said:
I got one of these today. It wasn't a big surprise given my stats and all. I'm sending another letter of rec just in case they look at my app again.

It's not just stats, but rather potential for future leadership that separates who gets interviews and acceptances. They want to see that you've done unique and interesting things as an undergrad and have an idea about how you will become an academic by doing research or public health or policy or something more than just being a physician.

Neuronix said:
It's not just stats, but rather potential for future leadership that separates who gets interviews and acceptances. They want to see that you've done unique and interesting things as an undergrad and have an idea about how you will become an academic by doing research or public health or policy or something more than just being a physician.

I'm pretty sure that the letter that I am sending will address my potential in these areas. Since I applied kinda late, I sent my original packet of letters knowing that one of the letters was written by a professor who didn't know me as well as some of my other profs. I know, it was a pretty bad move but at the time I felt that I needed to hurry up and complete my app. I'll let you know if it makes a difference...:luck:

Neuronix said:

I'm sorry, I really don't think this is true. I live in Philly too, and I know tons of Penn students (yes, I know you are one. I still think what you're saying is an idealistic version of reality). They all have stellar stats. Look, I have an excellent potential for leadership and, as explained in my app, I have a strong interest in health policy and all that good stuff. From an EC perspective I'm great. I'm not surprised I'm not getting interviewed at Penn though, because my stats just don't cut it. No, they're not bad -- they're just not Penn caliber.

Not to mention that most Penn students are traditional, straight-out-of-college (an impression that was re-affirmed just last night by a 3rd year student who totally agreed with me when I suggested this), and of the ones I've met really not that many have any particularly "unique" experiences. As a matter of fact, they're fairly cookie-cutter. Don't get me wrong, I know some great and amazing people who are students there or who have recently graduated. But of all the Philly schools, I would think their student body is the least diverse and the least interesting (if, perhaps, the smartest, at least on paper).

tigress said:
I'm sorry, I really don't think this is true. I live in Philly too, and I know tons of Penn students (yes, I know you are one. I still think what you're saying is an idealistic version of reality). They all have stellar stats. Look, I have an excellent potential for leadership and, as explained in my app, I have a strong interest in health policy and all that good stuff. From an EC perspective I'm great. I'm not surprised I'm not getting interviewed at Penn though, because my stats just don't cut it. No, they're not bad -- they're just not Penn caliber.

Not to mention that most Penn students are traditional, straight-out-of-college (an impression that was re-affirmed just last night by a 3rd year student who totally agreed with me when I suggested this), and of the ones I've met really not that many have any particularly "unique" experiences. As a matter of fact, they're fairly cookie-cutter. Don't get me wrong, I know some great and amazing people who are students there or who have recently graduated. But of all the Philly schools, I would think their student body is the least diverse and the least interesting (if, perhaps, the smartest, at least on paper).

Yeesh! I always find it funny when people try to bash and brand an entire medical school and the kind of students who attend. I think this is doubly funny when the info is second or third hand- As an MS1 at Penn I would have a very hard time labeling my own class-
This is your comment that I find most ridiculous:

"But of all the Philly schools, I would think their student body is the least diverse and the least interesting (if, perhaps, the smartest, at least on paper)"...

is this sour grapes or an allegiance to another med school in the area (maybe because a loved one attends) :rolleyes: ?
How would you assess this?- there are many people in my class who are straight out of UG but there are many (like myself) who have done some pretty interesting non-trad things- you would never know it just by talking to them once or twice... (many of my classmates do not realize what kind of experiences I, or others have had. What makes you think a 3rd year would know about most students in other classes let alone his/her own?).
As to what Neuronix wrote:
Penn is a top 20 school so having great stats is more or less a prereq (I think my class MCAT avg is a 35)- it is those that have seperated themselves with some sort of EC/research/leadership or other life experience that stand out to any adcom (not just Penn). I don't think Neuronix was implying that as long as you have great EC's/leadership skills you will get in- rather he was saying if you want to stand out emphasize those things assuming that you already have the stats that make you competitive.

ComfortableWolf said:
Yeesh! I always find it funny when people try to bash and brand an entire medical school and the kind of students who attend. I think this is doubly funny when the info is second or third hand- As an MS1 at Penn I would have a very hard time labeling my own class-

"But of all the Philly schools, I would think their student body is the least diverse and the least interesting (if, perhaps, the smartest, at least on paper)"...

is this sour grapes or an allegiance to another med school in the area (maybe because a loved one attends) :rolleyes: ?
How would you assess this?- there are many people in my class who are straight out of UG but there are many (like myself) who have done some pretty interesting non-trad things- you would never know it just by talking to them once or twice... (many of my classmates do not realize what kind of experiences I, or others have had. What makes you think a 3rd year would know about most students in other classes let alone his/her own?).
Penn is a top 20 school so having great stats is more or less a prereq (I think my class MCAT avg is a 35)- it is those that have seperated themselves with some sort of EC/research/leadership or other life experience that stand out to any adcom (not just Penn). I don't think Neuronix was implying that as long as you have great EC's/leadership skills you will get in- rather he was saying if you want to stand out emphasize those things assuming that you already have the stats that make you competitive.

I think I agree with Tigress on this one. I've recieved interviews from top 20 schools due to me being a "unique" applicants with very "unique" experiences. This isn't the first time I've heard of Penn chasing huge stats. My MCAT is only around the national matriculant average, with a high GPA. I just think some schools focus more on recruiting a diverse, unique, and perfectly capable class (that may not have high thirty's on their MCAT but still have a good score i.e. 30 ) while other schools focus on high numbers first, and then extracurriculars are used to distinguish these high numbers.

Again I have nothing against Penn, I think its a great school, but a great school that tends to recruit kids with high numbers as a priority first, and then look at extracurriculars (which is why it may be a less interesting/diverse class compared to other med schools). I know a couple of non-urm students getting interviews at schools like Harvard, Mayo etc... with good stats, but nothing spectacular. Its their amazing experiences, perspective, and outside interests that probably got them those interviews.

ComfortableWolf said:

I find it interesting that you thought I was bashing the school. In fact, I think it's an excellent school, no doubt about it. And almost all the students I know who go there (or recently graduated) are nice people, too (and I definitely can't say the same for some other schools I know of).

Yes, I do have an allegiance to another med school in the area. That said, there's no doubt that Penn is the best school here, hands down, if you're interested in prestige, research opportunities, match list, etc.

If you don't think a 3rd year knows his own class, than how can you claim to know yours? I know very many Penn students, some of them quite well, from different classes as well as some who are in residency now (or just completed residency). And no, my own sampling probably isn't representative of the entire student body, but they have all agreed with me that the student body isn't all that diverse (while at the same time raving over the school and how much they love(d) it).

I also want to mention that I've received multiple PMs agreeing with me on this issue. It's not that I want to argue. I just want to point out that stats really are probably more important at Penn than at other Ivies, there are percentage-wise fewer non-trads at Penn than at many of the other top-20, and that the class, while made up of smart and friendly and great people, isn't particularly diverse. So if you're a non-trad or if your stats aren't stellar, don't sweat it if you don't get an interview.

edit: In re-reading my statement that you quoted, I realized I should have left it at "least diverse", not "least interesting." I have no way of gauging the latter, and certainly I have met a number of interesting Penn students, whatever that means.

tigress said:
Not to mention that most Penn students are traditional, straight-out-of-college (an impression that was re-affirmed just last night by a 3rd year student who totally agreed with me when I suggested this), and of the ones I've met really not that many have any particularly "unique" experiences. As a matter of fact, they're fairly cookie-cutter. But of all the Philly schools, I would think their student body is the least diverse and the least interesting.

Wow - you really could not be more wrong about this. Way to judge an entire school on what one or a handful of people "totally agree to." :rolleyes: :thumbdown:

Skichic56 said:
Wow - you really could not be more wrong about this. Way to judge an entire school on what one or a handful of people "totally agree to." :rolleyes: :thumbdown:

Who said I'm judging the school? I'm making an observation. In any case I already said that I was incorrect in writing "least interesting;" I really meant only least diverse.

tigress said:
Who said I'm judging the school? I'm making an observation. In any case I already said that I was incorrect in writing "least interesting;" I really meant only least diverse.

In a non-combative tone... a sincere question

how does one determine diversity? or at least how do you determine diversity in this post?

Members don't see this ad :)
Skichic56 said:

Hello...Hello- it appears we have both been sucked back into the blackhole of SDN instead of studying ID.

Complete since October, still no love. :thumbdown:

ComfortableWolf said:
Hello...Hello- it appears we have both been sucked back into the blackhole of SDN instead of studying ID.

Hahaha... first post since summer. Congenital CMV--> not so interesting...

Skichic56 or any other Penn student, could you tell me more about the student atmospehere at Penn med. Does it really change as the student transition into the second semester with H/P/F. I love penn, but the grading scheme worries me a little bit.

In terms of the importance of number, I think every top school has to worry about numbers. Not only because they want to attract great students, but also because their ranking depends on it. But I have to say that Penn does indeed take student's "non academic" achievements into play. I know quite a few students that do not necessarily have the greatest grades, but have done great things.

i'm like 100% positive the "hold" status we're all getting means nothing considering they're non-rolling. isn't EVERYONE on hold until further notice? to me being on hold there basically meant nothing good, but possibly something bad.

owenmichael said:
I think I agree with Tigress on this one. I've recieved interviews from top 20 schools due to me being a "unique" applicants with very "unique" experiences. This isn't the first time I've heard of Penn chasing huge stats. My MCAT is only around the national matriculant average, with a high GPA. I just think some schools focus more on recruiting a diverse, unique, and perfectly capable class (that may not have high thirty's on their MCAT but still have a good score i.e. 30 ) while other schools focus on high numbers first, and then extracurriculars are used to distinguish these high numbers.

Again I have nothing against Penn, I think its a great school, but a great school that tends to recruit kids with high numbers as a priority first, and then look at extracurriculars (which is why it may be a less interesting/diverse class compared to other med schools). I know a couple of non-urm students getting interviews at schools like Harvard, Mayo etc... with good stats, but nothing spectacular. Its their amazing experiences, perspective, and outside interests that probably got them those interviews.

It's ridiculous how people who haven't even interviewed at Penn think they know what the admissions committee is looking for. As someone with matriculant-average numbers, 3.8/31S white guy, I got the impression that the adcom is looking for students who best fit the Penn system (the One University model) and not necessarily the best test-takers. It seems like the only ones who say anything negative about Penn, are the ones who got rejected. I haven't met a single person who interviewed there and didn't think the place was amazing and was among their top choices. It's ludicrous to assume that the only thing keeping you from an interview is a GPA/MCAT that is good but not great.

SpeedRacer said:
i'm like 100% positive the "hold" status we're all getting means nothing considering they're non-rolling. isn't EVERYONE on hold until further notice? to me being on hold there basically meant nothing good, but possibly something bad.
I'd say that it means they've looked at the file, and decided not to interview the applicant after initial review. That probably doesn't bode well for most all of the applicants.

To answer your quesiton more directly: No, everyone is not on hold. Many people's files were reviewed and an interview granted. Everyone was in the same boat when there was no update to the status page. Once you're moved to hold status, you've been passed up at least once.

infiniti said:
Skichic56 or any other Penn student, could you tell me more about the student atmospehere at Penn med. Does it really change as the student transition into the second semester with H/P/F. I love penn, but the grading scheme worries me a little bit.

Yes, I believe that student atmosphere does change into the second semester and beyond. First I noticed that the numbers of old exams from the school and from the class went down when the H grade was added. I also noticed that all kinds of offers for notes and study groups from other students were reduced. Once you get into clinics everyone gets much more competitive, and the all out gunners show up. Now, how much of this is specific to Penn is easily debated--it's probably not. Clinics are when grades really matter, so all the gunning comes out. Still, the basic science grades really don't matter so much, and we petition pretty much every year to get rid of the H/P/F nonsense. Unfortunately, they don't do it.

That all being said, you don't have to work really hard if you don't want to and you'll probably form into a clique by module 2 with which you can work.

As for the debate about stats vs. ECs, what I mean is something like this. Just about everyone who interviews or gets accepted here has excellent stats. What the school is ideally looking for is someone with excellent stats who has all those ECs. I agree that stats should not be as important as life experience and those sorts of issues as a former disadvantaged applicant, but that's just how med school admissions works. I also would agree that most of our students are straight through from college or only took a year or two off. This is reflected in our lower-than-most average age of matriculation (~22 with slight variation from year to year). I do wish student diversity was higher, but that's asking alot from a medical school population, here and nationally, that is mostly upper or upper-middle class.

complete 10/25/05 (my LORs got sent late)
interview invite 12/9
interview scheduled for 1/20/06

Regarding this debate on stats versus EC's... I've got a 3.9 and a 37 and have done some interesting things (foreign mission work, starting a charitable org at my school, research for a thesis)... but, i dont have an interview invite at Penn. I've got a deferred decision on my interview. I've also been to interviews at a bunch of the premier schools. i am a white male from the northeast, I don't know if that matters. I haven't called to ask questions yet, but I am starting to think about it. Anyone have any perspective to offer??

infiniti said:

I'll let you know in about a month or two :) I spoke to a second year who told me that in some classes, up to a third of the class can get honors depending on what the cut-off is, and classes like repro the class tends to do very well and a lot of people honor. I really believe anyone here is capable of achieving honors; it becomes a matter of effort.

bigdogg said:
Regarding this debate on stats versus EC's... I've got a 3.9 and a 37 and have done some interesting things (foreign mission work, starting a charitable org at my school, research for a thesis)... but, i dont have an interview invite at Penn. I've got a deferred decision on my interview. I've also been to interviews at a bunch of the premier schools. i am a white male from the northeast, I don't know if that matters. I haven't called to ask questions yet, but I am starting to think about it. Anyone have any perspective to offer??

Hey bud, right there with you...

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=3611

only thing is that I'm older....seems Penn tends to like people straight out of school...then again maybe they just don't like soldiers...what sort of message is this interview deferral sending to the terrorists!

I'm afraid it's just the way of the world.

Skichic56 said:
I spoke to a second year who told me that in some classes, up to a third of the class can get honors depending on what the cut-off is, and classes like repro the class tends to do very well and a lot of people honor. I really believe anyone here is capable of achieving honors; it becomes a matter of effort.

The course director for repro was awesome and didn't make it stressful for anyone, unlike certain other modules. I think over half of the class honored it in my year, though I've heard from others that the med school is trying to reduce the number of basic science honors. I agree that anyone is capable of achieving honors. Med school isn't conceptually difficult--it just requires lots of hours with your head in a book memorizing trivia. The more trivia you memorize (most of the trivia required for honors will prove to be useless), the better you will do. The other way they get rid of honors grades is by promoting strange/ambiguous questions that trip people up. On shelf exams, this is compounded by time pressure--giving you an artificial and unrealistic amount of time and information to make a decision. In the basic sciences, course directors are told to not include too many questions that too many people get right. In the clerkships, the school is moving away from directors giving their own "easy" exams and forcing them to use shelf exams while raising the bar for the shelf exams in existing clerkships. If the exams were based straight off the main points of the lecture, they'd be obvious to everyone who studied--and everyone studies--hard. Then there'd be no way to separate people for residencies... pity.

As for competitiveness, this all increases the level of pressure on everyone. Sure, YOU can get honors, just don't expect everyone's help. Why isn't the med school giving out old exams anymore? Why couldn't I look at the plastinated heart the day before the cardiology exam (which would have helped me get a question right btw)? Why won't alot of people share their notes with others past module 1?

As for why YOU specifically did not get an interview--sorry, it is somewhat random.

I definitely think it is important for people to realize how entirely random this whole process is. I interviewed at Penn in October (and absolutely loved it)with pretty good stats, good ECs, and am three years out of undergrad. I think it is impossible for anyone to figure out why one person gets interviewed at all of the top places except one, or why one person gets in and another doesn't. On the other hand, I dont think it is ever a bad idea to check on your application status (and talk to an actual person). Time after time, I have heard stories of people that found out much later that they weren't complete because something had gotten lost in the mail or lost in the shuffle of the admissions process. So, if you are definitely interested in Penn, and haven't heard, give them a call.

TheMightyAngus said:
It's ridiculous how people who haven't even interviewed at Penn think they know what the admissions committee is looking for. As someone with matriculant-average numbers, 3.8/31S white guy, I got the impression that the adcom is looking for students who best fit the Penn system (the One University model) and not necessarily the best test-takers. It seems like the only ones who say anything negative about Penn, are the ones who got rejected. I haven't met a single person who interviewed there and didn't think the place was amazing and was among their top choices. It's ludicrous to assume that the only thing keeping you from an interview is a GPA/MCAT that is good but not great.

I don't think theres anything wrong with putting together what a school looks for based on what we hear from students, advisors, and current med students there.... I never said anything was wrong with Penn, in fact if you look at my original comment a little more carefully, I said it was a great school. I just think they chase high numbers over unique,experienced individuals compared to other top 20 schools, and I guess thats my opinion. I'd be hard pressed to believe that you know any MORE or LESS than I do. In regards to you saying that it seems like the kids that didn't get interviews there are the ones that say bad things, it seems like the ones that do get interviews there (you?) get really defensive when a school is criticized. Penns an amazing school, but its not perfect, nor is any other school.

Anyways, I love philadelphia, and good luck to all interviewing there:)

banana said:
I definitely think it is important for people to realize how entirely random this whole process is. I interviewed at Penn in October (and absolutely loved it)with pretty good stats, good ECs, and am three years out of undergrad. I think it is impossible for anyone to figure out why one person gets interviewed at all of the top places except one, or why one person gets in and another doesn't. On the other hand, I dont think it is ever a bad idea to check on your application status (and talk to an actual person). Time after time, I have heard stories of people that found out much later that they weren't complete because something had gotten lost in the mail or lost in the shuffle of the admissions process. So, if you are definitely interested in Penn, and haven't heard, give them a call.

Thanks for the encouragement (sp?). I think applying early might be the key for some people.

tigress said:
I'm sorry, I really don't think this is true. I live in Philly too, and I know tons of Penn students (yes, I know you are one. I still think what you're saying is an idealistic version of reality). They all have stellar stats.

1. Of course Penn students have stellar stats. Penn is consistently in the top 5, it's an ivy, and it was the first med school in the nation (very traditional).

However, I think that the nature of what neuronix was trying to express is that stats are not enough. You must have the stats AND demonstrate leadership potential..yada yada.

2. I'm not suprised that you feel as though you've not met many penn students who have particularly "unique" experiences. They don't tend to "advertise" the work that they've done. I'm constantly shocked to discover the things that they've done. Perhaps you should sit one down and ask them sometime. Chances are, if you do, then you won't be calling them uninteresting.

That being said, Penn does tend to have more "straight out of college" grads. This was very disappointing to a non trad such as myself because the average age of the entering class was approx 21.6.

Skichic56 said:
I really believe anyone here is capable of achieving honors; it becomes a matter of effort.

:laugh: Sadly, you'll soon discover that getting honors becomes a function of how good a test taker you are. I know people who studied very very little but honored the majority of the pre-clinical curriculum.

Neuronix said:
:laugh: This is true for first years, who haven't yet gotten much real pressure, still view med school as a novelty, and are the vast majority of those you'll meet in and out of the school because they're the only ones with the time and interest to hang out with you. Most of the people you'll meet are totally political. Nobody will say anything bad even if they think it, except for me, and I stick out like a sore thumb because of it.

:laugh: some more.

Admissions really does do a really good job of selling the school... Yes, I am a current Penn student. I wouldn't say not to come here, but I would say it's not the happy-happy, we love our students and they love us, land admissions sells it to be or the administration tries to pretend it is. If you have any questions besides the "Do you think I'll get in?" stuff that I can't answer, I'd be happy to answer any PMs or posts.

FAQs: Pre-interview deferrment is almost certainly a rejection. Sorry. Philly is WAYYYYY better than Houston (my gf is a Houston native, and she agrees). As for the dual degree programs, I agree, they're a great opportunity. But remember, you're not going to get into Wharton's dual degree program with little/no business experience or the MD/PhD program with little/no research experience. Alot of applicants seem to think they can just pick up a second degree, but it's more complicated than that in most cases.

Thanks for saving me the trouble...

What a great life! Come to Penn! Everyone is happy here! We all get weekends off! Everyone helps each other! We are all friends and we all hang out together!

Whatever...
You get weekends off, of course except for those weekend review sessions. Then once you hit the clinics forget about it. Sure we hit the clinics a half year earlier, and are done sooner than 99% of the med schools in the nation. How do they do that? Well, they truncate your summer vacations/breaks.

Is everyone happy? Dunno. Ask them for their retention rate of their current graduating class. When they pull the dual degree explanation, ask them how many withdrew, dropped out, put med school on hold, took a year out etc.

Ask second year students how much they go out. First years are in a bubble. Ask third years how great their lives are. Don't even bother with the 4th years. You won't find them.

UCLA2000 said:
You get weekends off, of course except for those weekend review sessions.

What always got me was even last year they were still advertising "three afternoons a week off". Total and blatant lie on the part of admissions, and I've called them on that numerous times. The rhetoric was "well, we're fixing that". Report from current second years I run into--no, it hasn't been fixed. The administration is too busy filling the cirriculum with junk politically correct projects.

The cheerleaders of course justify it with--"What do you expect it's med school"... Well, as we can both attest, admissions is full of it and that's just not right. Second, if you are actually trying to do things outside of med school like they tell you you should do (or force you to if you're MD/PhD), it's very difficult. The MD/PhD program still tells the grad programs and PIs that MD/PhDs get done at noon MWF in module 2 so we have plenty of time to do required grad work. The students who were trying to do activities like volunteering found it very difficult with an always changing, unflexible mandatory schedule. Basically, if you can't do it after 5PM, forget about it. You aren't getting those afternoons you were advertised.

Neuronix said:
What always got me was even last year they were still advertising "three afternoons a week off". Total and blatant lie on the part of admissions, and I've called them on that numerous times. The rhetoric was "well, we're fixing that". Report from current second years I run into--no, it hasn't been fixed. The administration is too busy filling the cirriculum with junk politically correct projects.

The cheerleaders of course justify it with--"What do you expect it's med school"... Well, as we can both attest, admissions is full of it and that's just not right. Second, if you are actually trying to do things outside of med school like they tell you you should do (or force you to if you're MD/PhD), it's very difficult. The MD/PhD program still tells the grad programs and PIs that MD/PhDs get done at noon MWF in module 2 so we have plenty of time to do required grad work. The students who were trying to do activities like volunteering found it very difficult with an always changing, unflexible mandatory schedule. Basically, if you can't do it after 5PM, forget about it. You aren't getting those afternoons you were advertised.

I don't know if somebody has already asked you this or if you are willing to answer this question, but where do you wish you had gone instead of Penn? I am really curious about this as somebody who has several top choices including Penn.

TracksuitsRock said:
I don't know if somebody has already asked you this or if you are willing to answer this question, but where do you wish you had gone instead of Penn? I am really curious about this as somebody who has several top choices including Penn.

My opinion would be to choose based on financial aid packages and if they're about equal pick based on location. If you like the idea of being in Philly (and I do like the city), this is a good place. You should especially come here if they give you a nice scholarship.

I chose Penn because I'm an MD/PhD and the research here is great. The organization of the program is pretty good as well. For regular MD students the differences in cirriculum between top schools isn't big enough that it should sway you IMO.

TracksuitsRock said:

I love penn. That being said, my family is on the west coast. I miss them. I would have stayed much much closer to home.

Neuronix said:

One afternoon off a week if you're lucky. What about the "if you get over 90% on the exams you get honors" lie?

Please don't misinterpret what I'm saying. I love Penn and I consider myself very fortunate to be there. That being said, Penn definately has its problems. I don't know if they're any bigger than any other med school. The only reason that I was compelled to respond was that it appears as though some of the prior posters had an blatantly wrong idea of what to expect.

Maybe that's why we lost approx 10% of our class? Penn Med is no cake walk.

how are the penn profs in terms of openness and friendliness? My penn interviewer was the only negative experience I've had in all my interviews. thanks.

p.s. it's funny that this thread is so active, since we wont be hearing anything until march 15

tigress said:
1. Yes, I do have an allegiance to another med school in the area. That said, there's no doubt that Penn is the best school here, hands down, if you're interested in prestige, research opportunities, match list, etc.

2. If you don't think a 3rd year knows his own class, than how can you claim to know yours? I know very many Penn students, some of them quite well, from different classes as well as some who are in residency now (or just completed residency). And no, my own sampling probably isn't representative of the entire student body, but they have all agreed with me that the student body isn't all that diverse (while at the same time raving over the school and how much they love(d) it).

3. I also want to mention that I've received multiple PMs agreeing with me on this issue. It's not that I want to argue. I just want to point out that stats really are probably more important at Penn than at other Ivies, there are percentage-wise fewer non-trads at Penn than at many of the other top-20, and that the class, while made up of smart and friendly and great people, isn't particularly diverse. So if you're a non-trad or if your stats aren't stellar, don't sweat it if you don't get an interview.

edit: In re-reading my statement that you quoted, I realized I should have left it at "least diverse", not "least interesting." I have no way of gauging the latter, and certainly I have met a number of interesting Penn students, whatever that means.

1. I would tend to think that 99% of all med students are interested in those qualities which you've listed that Penn has.

2. Is Penn diverse. That's a tough question. Coming from Los Angeles I would have to say no. That being said, one could easily make an argument that med schools in general are not diverse. If you look at the racial distribution of the general population, then medical schools in general sorely lack diversity. Especially when it comes to AA and Latinos. That being said, if you look at the percentages published in the American Medical School Admissions Guide, then you'll see that Penn is actually more diverse than the average medical school in terms of race. However, as I stated in a prior post, the majority of its students are straight out of undergrad (disturbing to a non-trad such as myself)

3. The pm's are irrelevant as their content cannot be posted here, nor is the background of the writers substantiated (Law n Order baby!). In addition, you have absolutely no background or foundation to be able to accurately state what Penn is looking for in a candidate, or to compare that erroneous ideal candidate to what you perceive another ivy is looking for.

What does Penn want? You MUSt have good stats. Good stats alone are not enough.l Penn wants a solid undergrad institute. Is a 3.8 from Bob's college the same as a 3.8 from Harvard? Not in Penn's eyes. Also, Penn wants a someone with leadership qualities, and someone who will add something interesting to their class. The admissions director works very hard when picking and choosing interesting people for the incoming classes.

Just curious...I interviewed at WashU and felt that they have the most geographically diverse class of all the places I've seen. How does everybody here think it stacks up against Penn? Is Penn mostly Nor'easters?

argonana said:

This is always a really difficult question for me to answer. Which classes are junk? What's the biggest waste of time? A classmate of mine calls it the "death by 10,000 cuts cirriculum" because there's just so many small courses they've thrown into our schedules all of a sudden that waste all our free time. Now that I'm past it, it's kind of difficult to remember all the names they have for their silly extra classes. This makes it very difficult when talking to the administration (not that most of them care), as it just sounds like you're complaining in general or generally angry and not as if you're trying to be constructive. There's very little chance that the other students will say anything. First, they don't want to say anything possibly negative that could show up on their files for residency apps (and something negative has already appeared on mine from a class where it was supposed to be confidential and perfectly acceptable to criticize!). Second, there's a general attitude that the administration doesn't care anyways. It tends to get very toned down for course rep meetings, where my course rep friend informs me their polite questioning can just be politely ignored.

For starters, culture matters. A well-intentioned course that really teaches nothing about culture, except that you should really be sensitive to it. Great, thanks. No pointers, no how to deal with different groups or strategies (Edit from my friend--we did finally get a handout on this in the last session due to student feedback). It's so politically correct that everyone is afraid to give out any advice. If anything, several courses in med school have made me more afraid to deal with people--"You must be a robot or nobody will like you" type of thing. Ok, people argue, sure it was a waste, but it wasn't a large amount of time and alot of people skipped it. Now it's mandatory attendence is my understanding because so many people cut.

That's a typical Penn response to things students don't like. If they don't show up, it becomes mandatory. Take Health Care Systems, another well intentioned but bogus course about the health care system. It was such a waste of time that most of my class stopped showing up to it until there was only a few regular attendees despite e-mails from the administration encouraging us to go. The next year every lecture for it became required (with sign in sheets and make up work if you missed it), an exam was added, as was a 10 page term paper. Our class had the term paper, and we got a petition to end that nonsense (a term paper in med school?!) that 2/3 of the class signed. The response from the administration? Suck it up. Just like a recent response to the classes complaints of "We're really burned out on clerkships"... SUCK IT UP.

DLPCE (now LEAPP), our longitudinal patient experience, is another waste of time. Sure, it sounds nice to follow a patient for a long period of time, but logistically it just doesn't work for alot of reasons. Obviously, the fact that both of my parents have chronic medical conditions, one of which was at the med school's hospital and I spent alot of my free time watching the conditions around their second dual organ transplant, doesn't do much to exempt me from any of it.

There's lots more classes. As usual, you can argue around each individual class or required activity. But, every year more and more are being added (much of the current nonsense was added during my year), and as such it just needs to be reduced. The usual med school cirriculum is hard, but try having some required lecture on something you don't care about that's poorly presented a day or two before your exam. As someone from a low income family who's seen alot of how culture impacts medicine and vice versa, the whole thing comes off as trite. Like a whole lot of people from upper class backgrounds looking down as "how shall we deal with the lower classes?"

Me, I'm in grad school, and I still take 2 hours a month for a required medical school class called Doctoring where we just sit around and talk about medical school. Wait a second... I'M NOT IN MED SCHOOL ANYMORE! This is NOT the sort of integration anyone wants. Again, if I miss it, several hours of make up work ensues, even if you're in a country like Guatemala (which I was) doing rural health care work (which I was). I mean, I guess when I missed that renal PBL section for my grandmother's funeral, the course director did grudgingly let me out of the 2-3 page writeup for the missed section with "Well, other students in your situation did their makeup work". Though when I asked for permission to miss neuro section because I had walking pneumonia and was told I had to submit a several page writeup, I just went. Hope I didn't infect anyone. The explanations I've heard from the deans as to why this is so? 1. "Too many of our students are used to having very structured and sheltered lives such that if we didn't have so many things mandatory, too many students would be lost" 2. "We're preparing you for the structured style of the clinics." Gone are the days where you can spend all your basic science time in Utah skiing and fly back for exams (as a recently graduated MD/PhD student did--matched into derm out there too).

In the end, you better like Penn's cirriculum that they try to sell you. Someone asked by PM the other day if I'd recommend just skipping the things that are unnecessary. You can't! All those sections they sell you on when you interview, all those extra classes that they think set them apart... I hope you're well sold, cause it's all required. It's rapidly becoming the 8-5 cirriculum (I mean, what do you think happens when you have something required 8-10 then 1-5 required?) that Penn isn't supposed to be. Our class got an official apology from the vice dean for overbooking our schedules, but my friends in the upcoming classes feed me information that leads me to believe that things aren't being fixed.

Oh, and one other thing. The lecture halls suck. It's not so bad for optional classes, as depending on the lecture somewhere from 5-75% of the class shows up. For the mandatory stuff with near 100% attendance, there's just not enough room. We're all crammed in with lots of students sitting on the floors and such. Try to get there early. The business and law schools have large, spacious halls with comfortable seating. Why are we the readheaded step-child? Oh boy, we can watch the lectures from home?! I think I did it once the whole time when I was in the first two years--the notes the lecturers give out for the optional lectures are sufficient for things you miss.

As for the other questions, the attitudes of the professors vary wildly. For the first year and a half, most are nice, though there are a few, very notable exceptions. I'd say on the clinics that goes to maybe 80% of the docs being friendly or just completely ignoring you to 20% or so being mean to you (much of this 20% from surgery and OB/GYN). Strangely, some of the professors that are most disliked among the classes year after year win teaching awards? It's a not understood concept among my circle of friends.

As for where the students are from--yes we do have alot of Noreasters, UCLA2k notwithstanding :) I hear that it's not for the med school's lack of trying though--people they accept from the northeast are much more likely to come here than people from other places. I read on an advertisement that something like 50% of the US population is within 4 hours drive of Philly (think DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, and Boston). There just aren't that many top-notch medical school applicants from the area around WashU, so they have to reach a little further.

BTW, UCLA2k what did you end up going into? Are you one of the 20 ophtho applicants this year? For those of you who don't know, we produce about 10% of the nation's ophthomology residents year after year. I always find it strange that we have a top IM residency, yet so few of our students go into IM.

Neuronix said:
For starters, culture matters. A well-intentioned course that really teaches nothing about culture, except that you should really be sensitive to it. Great, thanks. No pointers, no how to deal with different groups or strategies...

someone in our interview group actually grilled the dean on how "cultural competency" is put into effect at penn...now i can see why.

There's lots more classes. As usual, you can argue around each individual class or required activity. But, every year more and more are being added (much of the current nonsense was added during my year), and as such it just needs to be reduced...

Me, I'm in grad school, and I still take 2 hours a month for a required medical school class called Doctoring where we just sit around and talk about medical school. Wait a second... I'M NOT IN MED SCHOOL ANYMORE! This is NOT the sort of integration anyone wants. Again, if I miss it, several hours of make up work ensues, even if you're in a country like Guatemala (which I was) doing rural health care work (which I was)...

The explanations I've heard from the deans as to why this is so? 1. "Too many of our students are used to having very structured and sheltered lives such that if we didn't have so many things mandatory, too many students would be lost" 2. "We're preparing you for the structured style of the clinics." Gone are the days where you can spend all your basic science time in Utah skiing and fly back for exams (as a recently graduated MD/PhD student did--matched into derm out there too).

this is extremely informative, neuronix. thank you. do you think these issues are worse at penn than at most schools (where the students have claimed that med school feels like high school/kindergarten)? or basically the same?

by the way, i also think it's funny that we prospectives are already discussing penn so seriously...considering their interviewee acceptance rate :smuggrin: ...but it's useful to dig beneath the surface for any school...it helps me get a better sense of what to really look into at other places.

Neuronix said:
As for where the students are from--yes we do have alot of Noreasters, UCLA2k notwithstanding :) I hear that it's not for the med school's lack of trying though--people they accept from the northeast are much more likely to come here than people from other places. I read on an advertisement that something like 50% of the US population is within 4 hours drive of Philly (think DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, and Boston). There just aren't that many top-notch medical school applicants from the area around WashU, so they have to reach a little further.

BTW, UCLA2k what did you end up going into? Are you one of the 20 ophtho applicants this year? For those of you who don't know, we produce about 10% of the nation's ophthomology residents year after year. I always find it strange that we have a top IM residency, yet so few of our students go into IM.

I'll send you a pm with this info.

argonana said:
someone in our interview group actually grilled the dean on how "cultural competency" is put into effect at penn...now i can see why.

this is extremely informative, neuronix. thank you. do you think these issues are worse at penn than at most schools (where the students have claimed that med school feels like high school/kindergarten)? or basically the same?

by the way, i also think it's funny that we prospectives are already discussing penn so seriously...considering their interviewee acceptance rate :smuggrin: ...but it's useful to dig beneath the surface for any school...it helps me get a better sense of what to really look into at other places.

I think that the point that Neuronix and I are trying to make is that Penn is not shangri la. It has its problems too. No bigger than any other med school but they do exist.

It is an AMAZING school with a great reputation and it produces top-notch clinicians (I did not fully realize this until doing away rotations at two large academic teaching institutes on the West Coast. I felt that my classmates were light years ahead of the 4th year med students from those institutes).

I consider myself extremely fortunate to be there.

UCLA2000 said:
I think that the point that Neuronix and I are trying to make is that Penn is not shangri la. It has its problems too. No bigger than any other med school but they do exist.

Exactly. It makes me cringe to hear admissions saying things that absolutely aren't true or trying to sell things to the applicants as great that are unpopular to the med students. I want people to know what they're signing up for. Every school has issues, this one is no exception.

Penn seems to put more effort into recruiting than alot of the others, so to say anything negative seems like the first time anyone has heard anything negative and is totally counter to the upbeat show they try to put on for everyone who's not matriculated yet.

UCLA2000 said:
That being said, Penn does tend to have more "straight out of college" grads. This was very disappointing to a non trad such as myself because the average age of the entering class was approx 21.6.
I'm realizing that too (pre-interview hold.)

That's ok. In the end they'll regret showing this alumni no love. I've decided that my yearly $20 contributions will be coming to and end!

I'm sure my decision send waves of panic through the alumni relations office that are felt in the medical school admissions office! :laugh:

Does anyone know if pre-interview hold=rejection? or do people really still have a chance? thanks!

liger said:
Does anyone know if pre-interview hold=rejection? or do people really still have a chance? thanks!
Rumor has it that for virtually all of us it is a nice way of letting us know that we'll be rejected in March. :thumbdown:

liger said:

A friend of mine called (her online status still says she's being reviewed) and they basically told her they wouldn't be able to interview her this year (although she's MSTP). So I guess if you're really curious, you could call. I'm curious about this too, but not enough to call, since I'm pretty confident I know what the answer is (rejection).