Upper Division Courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PearlyTooth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!
I was wondering when Pre-Dents normally take upper division science courses during their undergrad years.
I am currently a junior, looking to apply this summer, and I am actually majoring in Sociology, because I have an interest in those classes. Along with that, of course, I am taking all of my Dental School Pre-Reqs, and am almost finished; all I have left is Orgo 2 and Physics 2, which I am taking this semester. However, all schools do recommend certain upper division science classes be taken, and that's a little difficult for me, considering I am a Sociology major. I have taken Anatomy and Physiology I, but that's pretty much it for the upper divisions. I am also hoping to knock out A&P II this summer, and I will be taking Bio Chem, along with the rest of my sociology classes for my major, in the Fall. My question is, is that a sufficient number of upper divisions? Especially considering I am applying this summer, but will be taking the classes so late! I have no problem with taking these classes, it has just been hard getting all of my pre-reqs, and my major classes done. And I've also had to transfer undergrad schools, where I've had some trouble getting credits transferred. That also cause a bump in the road because I had to take additional GER classes, in order to graduate. If anybody has been in a similar situation or can offer advice, I would REALLY appreciate it. I really don't want my lack of upper division classes, or the fact that I will take them really late, be the reason I don't get accepted. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I think the 2 main courses that most schools would like to see are A&P and Biochem. I know that some schools require you to have Microbiology.

Besides those, if time is a constraint, I would recommend taking Cell Bio and Genetics in your senior year.

As long as you have the pre-regs down, you should be fine. If you end up taking those upper-division courses during next fall semester, you can send ds your update transcript during the Academic Update period. Good luck :)

I think the 2 main courses that most schools would like to see are A&P and Biochem. I know that some schools require you to have Microbiology

Would one recommend taking A&P 1 and 2? I know one school I am looking at requires a full year of anatomy, plus a year (or maybe a semester) of physiology. I would assume that A&P 1 and 2 would count as a year of anatomy and a year of physiology?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would one recommend taking A&P 1 and 2? I know one school I am looking at requires a full year of anatomy, plus a year (or maybe a semester) of physiology. I would assume that A&P 1 and 2 would count as a year of anatomy and a year of physiology?
A&P I+II should work. I would phone in and check with the school just to make sure. Have your course outlines ready!

GL!

Usually A&P is a two-course sequence, so it's best if you take both 1 and 2. And yes, when I applied with A&P 1 and 2, they counted for both anatomy and physiology.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the 2 main courses that most schools would like to see are A&P and Biochem. I know that some schools require you to have Microbiology.

Besides those, if time is a constraint, I would recommend taking Cell Bio and Genetics in your senior year.

As long as you have the pre-regs down, you should be fine. If you end up taking those upper-division courses during next fall semester, you can send ds your update transcript during the Academic Update period. Good luck :)
Okay thanks! I'll definitely get A&P and Biochem in there then. I also heard those are most helpful during 1st year of Dental School.