Upper DIvision GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GatorGrad87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Upper Division GPA (All work completed after attainment of 60 semester hrs)"

I am a non-traditional student and completed all of my pre reqs after receiving my bachelors degree. I took around 34 credits in pre reqs. Do you think schools include this coursework in the "upper division" gpa calculation, or do they just take my upper undergrad gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

That's a great question. My understanding is that only 300/400-level classes would qualify as upperdivision, regardless of when you took them. From PTCAS: "Upper-Division Course GPA - GPA for junior and senior level courses is based on the "Course Level" field in the Coursework section."

Since they say course-level and not classes you took as a junior/senior, they're looking at the difficulty of a course. If you took a 100-level history course senior year, I don't think they would count that. If you took a 300-level class as a sophomore, they probably would.

I believe they take the upper division undergrad GPA. There is a separate category in PTCAS for last 60 semester units GPA calculation. Some pre-reqs would still be considered "lower division" even if you take it after graduation years later, like Chem and Physics. I took anatomy and physiology at the community college and those are considered "lower division" as well. I was a biology major in college and my upper division GPA was not great (<3.0) but schools look more at pre-req and overall GPA. Hope this helps.