Upper-Level bio classes section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Happensinvegas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took AP bio in high school, and got credit from my university (credit listed on my transcript) for Biol 101+L and Biol 179+L (some random bio course with a lab). I know technically for most medical schools, this counts to cover the 8 credit hours of biology plus lab, however I also know that medical schools want to see some upper-level biology courses.

I was wondering if I pretty much need to (as in strongly suggested) take 2 upper level biology classes with labs. I ask this because my school doesn't offer very many biology classes with lab, and those that do have lab, usually have 2-3 prereqs that I don't meet due to being a chemistry major. There are, however, several upper level classes accessible to me that have recitation sections.

In addition, I work in a cell-biology research lab on campus for over a year that will show on my application. Should I try to pack in extra biology classes senior year just to get an upper-level biology lab in there, or are classes with recitation sufficient.

Members don't see this ad.

I think not taking any biology courses during your undergraduate career is probably not the best idea, but I'm unclear on how AdComs would view it. I would absolutely recommend taking some upper-level biology classes to demonstrate that you have the ability to handle their rigor and also just to gain a nice foundation for future studies. Since you've met the lab requirement (double check with the schools you are applying to though!), I think classes that are just lecture-based would work out fine for you.

Reactions: 1 user