Upper Level Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agean8

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I understand dental schools want students to complete prerequisites and take upper-level classes. To my understanding, they don't specify how many upper level classes we should take to be a strong applicant? Currently, I am planning to take Biochem and Genetics. So my question is... how many upper level classes should be taken to be a strong applicant for dental admissions and can you provide examples of upper-level classes? Is there like a recommended number of how many classes? I would like to know because I don't want my entire undergrad experience to be overwhelm with science classes. Please let me know your thoughts. THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

Check Dental Exploration from ADEA. It costs $25 for its subscription.

Hello everyone,

I understand dental schools want students to complete prerequisites and take upper-level classes. To my understanding, they don't specify how many upper level classes we should take to be a strong applicant? Currently, I am planning to take Biochem and Genetics. So my question is... how many upper level classes should be taken to be a strong applicant for dental admissions and can you provide examples of upper-level classes? Is there like a recommended number of how many classes? I would like to know because I don't want my entire undergrad experience to be overwhelm with science classes. Please let me know your thoughts. THANK YOU!

I’m a Biology major but I’d say look at the schools you are applying to and see the coursework they recommend. I’m going into my senior year and for my top school I decided to take all of the recommended coursework in addition to prerequisites. The ones I’m taking/ have taken is

Cell and molecular biology
Immunology
Histology
General Physiology
Biochemistry
Genetics
Etc...

I don’t think they recommend a particular amount but they would list recommended coursework on their website (not mandatory but those are classes you’ll likely take in dental school or it will help you)

Ex. This is UCLA

“Other recommended courses that will be considered in an application are histology, physiology, human or comparative anatomy, social sciences, microbiology, communication, business, composition, technical writing, fine arts, philosophy, engineering and classics.”

This is NYU

“Courses such as comparative anatomy, biochemistry, cell biology, microbiology, genetics, histology, embryology, physiology, sociology, philosophy, psychology, and mathematics are all recommended.”

Reactions: 1 user
I’m a Biology major but I’d say look at the schools you are applying to and see the coursework they recommend. I’m going into my senior year and for my top school I decided to take all of the recommended coursework in addition to prerequisites. The ones I’m taking/ have taken is

Cell and molecular biology
Immunology
Histology
General Physiology
Biochemistry
Genetics
Etc...

I don’t think they recommend a particular amount but they would list recommended coursework on their website (not mandatory but those are classes you’ll likely take in dental school or it will help you)

Ex. This is UCLA

“Other recommended courses that will be considered in an application are histology, physiology, human or comparative anatomy, social sciences, microbiology, communication, business, composition, technical writing, fine arts, philosophy, engineering and classics.”

This is NYU

“Courses such as comparative anatomy, biochemistry, cell biology, microbiology, genetics, histology, embryology, physiology, sociology, philosophy, psychology, and mathematics are all recommended.”

Thank you for your reply! Your response is very helpful!

Reactions: 1 user