Upper-level molecular genetics class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdsweetie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think an upper-level molecular genetics class would be helpful? Or would the class be way more than you would need for the MCAT?

This is the course description:

"Structure, organization, replication dynamics, and expression of genetic information in eukaryotes. Focus on molecular genetic mechanisms of gene expression and its control; molecular genetics methods; molecular genetic control of cell division and differentiation during development."

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think an upper-level molecular genetics class would be helpful? Or would the class be way more than you would need for the MCAT?

This is the course description:

"Structure, organization, replication dynamics, and expression of genetic information in eukaryotes. Focus on molecular genetic mechanisms of gene expression and its control; molecular genetics methods; molecular genetic control of cell division and differentiation during development."

Thanks

There are 2 arguments. First, it won't be necessary because the MCAT will only test basic science knowledge. Second, that it will be beneficial because the MCAT tests basic science knowledge by introducing higher level sciences that will incorporate your knowledge of basic sciences.

So it follows that those who have gone through higher level sciences and understood how the basic science concepts work with them, will have a leg up on those that haven't. Yet you should NOT take the upper level science to hope to see that info on the MCAT because it most likely won't be there.

Instead you are taking it to reinforce the fundamentals along side more complicated material. I would definitely take it if it is in your major or minor, but it isn't necessary to delay the MCAT a year to take the course.

The advantage is in the critical thinking and exposure to more complex material.

There are 2 arguments. First, it won't be necessary because the MCAT will only test basic science knowledge. Second, that it will be beneficial because the MCAT tests basic science knowledge by introducing higher level sciences that will incorporate your knowledge of basic sciences.

So it follows that those who have gone through higher level sciences and understood how the basic science concepts work with them, will have a leg up on those that haven't. Yet you should NOT take the upper level science to hope to see that info on the MCAT because it most likely won't be there.

Instead you are taking it to reinforce the fundamentals along side more complicated material. I would definitely take it if it is in your major or minor, but it isn't necessary to delay the MCAT a year to take the course.

The advantage is in the critical thinking and exposure to more complex material.

Hello, yes I would be taking it to reinforce the fundamentals. My question is how frequently is this subject matter tested on the MCAT?

thanks

Sdssweetie:
"Hello, yes I would be taking it to reinforce the fundamentals. My question is how frequently is this subject matter tested on the MCAT?

thanks"

all the time! you didn't hear AAMC's latest announcement? instead of basic biology being tested on the MCAT, they JUST announced that only upper level molecular genetics will be tested on the MCAT.

I hope you see the sarcasm.

Yeah, it's almost definitely not going to make a big difference. You probably will have 5 or less genetics-related questions on an MCAT (just a rough estimate), and you can expect that at least half of them will be easily answered with fundamental knowledge. The other one or two that may not even exist may be easier because of your experience in the class, but it won't make a huge difference.

That said, you still might as well take the class if it interests you or will help you toward your degree. Doing better on the MCAT shouldn't be your primary motivation though - there are probably better classes for that, like a physiology class or something.