upper state NY medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyNameIsAlex

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
curious, what schools are there in upper state NY , and are they considered competitive to get into?

any info would be muchly appriciated :)

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Albany, SUNY Upstate, SUNY Buffalo, U of Rochester
The first three are about the same to get into and Rochester is somewhat harder.

Upstate New York has two SUNY schools - SUNY Upstate and SUNY Buffalo, and the University of Rochester and Albany Medical College, which are private.

SUNY schools give significant preference to NY State residents.

Albany's average MCAT is 30, and their average GPA is 3.52
Buffalo's average MCAT is 30, and their average GPA is 3.56
Upstate's average MCAT is 30, and their average GPA is 3.65
Rochester's average MCAT is 33, and their average GPA is 3.68

Rochester is significantly more competitive and well regarded than the other schools. In general, I would say the order they are listed above is from least to most competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Embily123 said:
Upstate New York has two SUNY schools - SUNY Upstate and SUNY Buffalo, and the University of Rochester and Albany Medical College, which are private.

SUNY schools give significant preference to NY State residents.

Albany's average MCAT is 30, and their average GPA is 3.52
Buffalo's average MCAT is 30, and their average GPA is 3.56
Upstate's average MCAT is 30, and their average GPA is 3.65
Rochester's average MCAT is 33, and their average GPA is 3.68

Rochester is significantly more competitive and well regarded than the other schools. In general, I would say the order they are listed above is from least to most competitive.
Just to clarify: SUNY Upstate no longer gives preference to NY state residents though, by virtue of its location, NY state residents still form the class majority. Non-residents are eligible for instate tuition in years 2-4.

Scottish Chap said:
Just to clarify: SUNY Upstate no longer gives preference to NY state residents though, by virtue of its location, NY state residents still form the class majority. Non-residents are eligible for instate tuition in years 2-4.

I knew this but it sucks. Why would a state-funded school no preference at all to their state students.

Apparition said:
I knew this but it sucks. Why would a state-funded school no preference at all to their state students.
They want good students - regardless of where they come from. My class is extremely bright and quite diverse, representing several states, and a few foreign countries. I couldn't be happier.