Upperclassman At NYCPM - Ask Me Anything!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FootGVNG

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I am a current second year student at NYCPM. I know many of you are concerned with how this upcoming year may look for you. I’m here to answer any questions you may have. Ask away!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey,

So first of all thanks so much for taking time out of your day to do this!!

1) How do you feel NYCPM compares to the other schools in terms of its clinical experience?
2) How are your professors?
3) Is there anything you wish you knew about NYCPM before you went there?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey,

So first of all thanks so much for taking time out of your day to do this!!

1) How do you feel NYCPM compares to the other schools in terms of its clinical experience?
2) How are your professors?
3) Is there anything you wish you knew about NYCPM before you went there?

1) So I personally feel that NYCPM offers a very solid clinical experience. We have our own foot clinic so we are able to see a wide range of patients daily. I’m sure a current 3rd/4th year can chime in to give more info.

2) Overall the professors are very knowledgeable and care about the students succeeding. Obviously they don’t spoon-feed us like in undergrad, but they do try to make the information as digestible as possible without dumbing it down. They have a really good idea on what will be on boards and prepare us well for it.

3) I wish I just looked into the curriculum and it’s delivery more closely. When you’re interviewing and visiting the school the faculty and students will of course hype the school up, leaving out obvious flaws. I should have done my due diligence to ask more questions about the attendance policy, gpa calculations, etc. They probably wouldn’t have changed my final decision, but it provides great prospective.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a student here and I wouldn’t advise anyone to choose NYCPM over other schools. You will have almost 2 exams every week every semester. You will always be at risk of failing out if you are someone who isn’t used to studying 24/7. Am not sure about other schools but a person with 2.5 gpa at NYCPM can easily pull 3.0+ in other schools.

Reactions: 7 users
I did a post-bac that was 2 exams per week with mandatory attendance. It was hell.

I am currently a student here and I wouldn’t advise anyone to choose NYCPM over other schools. You will have almost 2 exams every week every semester. You will always be at risk of failing out if you are someone who isn’t used to studying 24/7. Am not sure about other schools but a person with 2.5 gpa at NYCPM can easily pull 3.0+ in other schools.

I agree. The two exams a week on top of 70% attendance is brutal. But honestly I would rather take the two exams a week than block exams.

Hey everyone!

I am a current second year student at NYCPM. I know many of you are concerned with how this upcoming year may look for you. I’m here to answer any questions you may have. Ask away!
What does this coming fall semester look like for you and the incoming first years?
edit: specifically, will online class continue? not sure if it’s worth looking for a place just yet if that is the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
edit: specifically, will online class continue? not sure if it’s worth looking for a place just yet if that is the case.
100% wait to find a place to live until you know more. Recently we were told that large lectures are likely to be online well into fall semester. But there might be in-person small groups recitations with social distancing in place. So no one really knows what is going to happen

Reactions: 2 users
100% wait to find a place to live until you know more. Recently we were told that large lectures are likely to be online well into fall semester. But there might be in-person small groups recitations with social distancing in place. So no one really knows what is going to happen

I agree with this 100%. Unless they give us clear directives for the fall semester I would stay home. Plus it gives you a chance to save on housing for a bit.

Hey everyone!

Hello there! How is living in Harlem? Is it safe?

Members don't see this ad :)

How many days worth of material are covered on the exams? This sounds like you have a bunch of mini-exams. What's your attrition rate like? I've heard that 20% isn't uncommon for pod schools. Sounds brutal.

Also are the exam questions created by professors, or do you do standardized exams? Some MD programs only use NBMEs for their students, which is hard as hell but ultimately beneficial for students because it better prepares them for USMLEs.

How many days worth of material are covered on the exams? This sounds like you have a bunch of mini-exams. What's your attrition rate like? I've heard that 20% isn't uncommon for pod schools. Sounds brutal.

Also are the exam questions created by professors, or do you do standardized exams? Some MD programs only use NBMEs for their students, which is hard as hell but ultimately beneficial for students because it better prepares them for USMLEs.

Hey, I'm a second year, each exam for each course covers 7-8 chapters roughly.

We started with 103 then was down to 94 by the second semester, but now we have like 5-6 new people joining us in the second year. So the attrition rate is pretty skewed for nycpm lol

The questions are mostly written by professors I think? One of our professors used usmle but that's just him lol. Our exam questions are second-order mostly.

I agree. The two exams a week on top of 70% attendance is brutal. But honestly I would rather take the two exams a week than block exams.
what was your best method to navigate this? How can incoming students set themselves up well at NYCPM? What mistakes did you make and learn from during your first year that you would like to pass on? Similarly, what concrete advice were you given when you first started?
I know everyone says you gotta be willing to study harder than ever before and methods differ from student to student, but it would nice to hear insight on your personal experience

Hey! I was just accepted to NYCPM! Where are safe places to live off campus but still close enough to school that mornings aren't difficult?

Well, I know for MD programs at least, the best way to study is to go through First Aid after every class, read and re-read all the relevant material and then supplement with Pathoma and Sketchy +/- Boards and Beyond videos. Honestly I found looking through at least FA before reading class notes to be the best way to parse through the minutiae for the high-yield information that is tested.

I was once studying for a hematology exam, and it was taking me forever to read through two weeks' worth of material for an exam. I watched the videos in Pathoma and covered all the content in 2 hours and basically had everything down and understood it fully. It took me two hours to watch 4 hours worth of Pathoma videos at double speed.

Of course, DPM programs have more foot-and-ankle-related content than MD programs, but I'd imagine that this strategy should be fairly effective since DPM students take the same pre-clinical coursework.

Well, I know for MD programs at least, the best way to study is to go through First Aid after every class, read and re-read all the relevant material and then supplement with Pathoma and Sketchy +/- Boards and Beyond videos. Honestly I found looking through at least FA before reading class notes to be the best way to parse through the minutiae for the high-yield information that is tested.

I was once studying for a hematology exam, and it was taking me forever to read through two weeks' worth of material for an exam. I watched the videos in Pathoma and covered all the content in 2 hours and basically had everything down and understood it fully. It took me two hours to watch 4 hours worth of Pathoma videos at double speed.

Of course, DPM programs have more foot-and-ankle-related content than MD programs, but I'd imagine that this strategy should be fairly effective since DPM students take the same pre-clinical coursework.
While I was at NYCPM I did the BRS books for almost every class in addition to notes and reading the text books. I basically studied everyday after class until I went to sleep and on weekends I started at 8am and studied until i went to sleep. I found a group of classmates that basically did the same thing and we would meet up everyday. Sometime we would take a break and go to the movies but we studied there too until the movie actually started.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I personally never found BRS books that helpful except for some tables in specific books. Some of my classmates swore by BRS for class exams, though.

How much do you folks use FA, Sketchy, and Pathoma? Did any of your classmates try out Firecracker, and what did they think about it?

This is the best way to study at NYCPM. Go to lecture, listen and take notes. After class for the day go over everything that was taught that day. Goal is to never fall behind. Don’t use outside resources because exams are straight from the PowerPoints. I also have bunch of quizlets I made specifically for NYCPM should anyone wants to use them.

Reactions: 6 users
This is the best way to study at NYCPM. Go to lecture, listen and take notes. After class for the day go over everything that was taught that day. Goal is to never fall behind. Don’t use outside resources because exams are straight from the PowerPoints. I also have bunch of quizlets I made specifically for NYCPM should anyone wants to use them.
Could you link me to the quilts?

People don't use First Aid, Sketchy, Boards and Beyond or Pathoma for getting the basics down?

People don't use First Aid, Sketchy, Boards and Beyond or Pathoma for getting the basics down?

You can use FirstAid to get the basics down, I did it for one class and it was really helpful. I am starting to use Sketchy now, so it's too early to comment on that. I have used BRS sometimes for practice Qs.

Those are all review sources, you do not learn 'basics' from them, learn basic info from class lectures/discussions.
They a great resource for board studying though.

Reactions: 4 users
I got accepted yesterday to NYCPM- waiting on other interviews this and next week and decisions before I decide where to go. How safe is the surrounding area outside the school. Other than the Bridges, what other (reasonably priced) housing options have other students used? I take it that having a car is going to be pretty difficult in regards to parking

Is there a good way to connect to other incoming students? I want to try and get an apartment with at least one other female roommate, but do not know where to post it.
theres a Facebook page called “NYCPM class of 2024.” you’ll probably find luck there.

I got accepted yesterday to NYCPM- waiting on other interviews this and next week and decisions before I decide where to go. How safe is the surrounding area outside the school. Other than the Bridges, what other (reasonably priced) housing options have other students used? I take it that having a car is going to be pretty difficult in regards to parking

The surrounding area is okay during the daytime. I am not sure about nighttime since I would just walk straight to the train station.

Other than the bridges, you can try looking into housing in the city or any of the five boroughs (except Staten Island). I know few people in my class are looking for a roomie so if you decide to go to NYCPM, I can hook you up with them (granted they haven't found someone already).

Do you have any advice for applicants who may be on the lower average of accepted gaps (3.2c/2.9s with post bacc) on how to strengthen your application in other areas? Or tips on how you made yourself a stronger candidate whether that was through your personal statement or elsewhere in your application?

-Thanks by the way! Much appreciated

Do you have any advice for applicants who may be on the lower average of accepted gaps (3.2c/2.9s with post bacc) on how to strengthen your application in other areas? Or tips on how you made yourself a stronger candidate whether that was through your personal statement or elsewhere in your application?

Focus on upward trends your gpa is fine.. should get your science gpa up at least to a 3.1

does the cost of living significantly increase your student debt since NYC is such an expensive place to live? This is one of my main apprehensions toward NYCPM

does the cost of living significantly increase your student debt since NYC is such an expensive place to live? This is one of my main apprehensions toward NYCPM

Go with the cheaper school!!! Im so glad I went with a different school cheaper cost of living :)

I would say your aim towards a 3.0 upward trend. You should be fine focus on shadow hours, and PS! Someone will give you a chance I had a low gpa but my science gpa made up for it! Good luck

I don't think it significantly changes the overall cost. NYCPM is on the lower end of tuition cost compared to other pod schools and this is offset by higher cost of living. Some other schools still have higher cost of living I believe.

I don't think it significantly changes the overall cost. NYCPM is on the lower end of tuition cost compared to other pod schools and this is offset by higher cost of living. Some other schools still have higher cost of living I believe.
What kind of cost living expenses do you experience from a rent perspective? Is it cheaper to rent or to stay in the dorms

What kind of cost living expenses do you experience from a rent perspective? Is it cheaper to rent or to stay in the dorms
Definitely cheaper to rent but you'd need to find roommate(s) to rent with

Definitely cheaper to rent but you'd need to find roommate(s) to rent with
I would rent with roommates right now as Covid cases are increasing don’t want to risk getting sick especially when you have test! Just something to think about

I would rent with roommates right now as Covid cases are increasing don’t want to risk getting sick especially when you have test! Just something to think about
Not having a roomate in NYC would cost top $$$

Hey everyone!

Hi, I'm starting this January at NYCPM and want to get ahead and start studying since I was a nontraditional applicant - out of undergrad for 7 years now. Any recommendations on books/studying material/subject I should be start with?

Hi, I'm starting this January at NYCPM and want to get ahead and start studying since I was a nontraditional applicant - out of undergrad for 7 years now. Any recommendations on books/studying material/subject I should be start with?

I usually won't advise on studying early because it won't make much difference (if any) when taking these courses, but since you have been out of school for that long, I suggest starting with light anatomy studying.

While you wait for a reply from Foot, I know you will take general anatomy in Jan...so I would read maybe the first chap of Moore's clinically-oriented anatomy.
Other than that...I would just enjoy the break until classes begin. Good luck!

I agree with Dexter. I am a second-year at NYCPM. You may also wanna watch videos on anatomyguy if you find anatomy books boring (like me lol).

Reactions: 2 users
If you get bored of anatomy, plenty of other non-academic skills you can brush up on.

Learn how to read journal articles
Memorize SOAP note format and practice it from memory or google practice patients etc
Watch videos on things about podiatric medicine that pique your interest

Your didactics will have you sitting in your room staring at a computer screen for 7+hrs a day. After which you will stare at the same screen studying for exams. When that time comes, you will learn how to learn and force your body to do it.

Without real pressure, there is nothing wrong with just enjoying your free time with family/SO/hobbies etc.

You will never get that time back

If you get bored of anatomy, plenty of other non-academic skills you can brush up on.

Learn how to read journal articles
Memorize SOAP note format and practice it from memory or google practice patients etc
Watch videos on things about podiatric medicine that pique your interest

Your didactics will have you sitting in your room staring at a computer screen for 7+hrs a day. After which you will stare at the same screen studying for exams. When that time comes, you will learn how to learn and force your body to do it.

Without real pressure, there is nothing wrong with just enjoying your free time with family/SO/hobbies etc.

You will never get that time back
No I agree with you, thanks tons... I just feel that I need to brush off the rust a bit at one point before I start school for real and want to do it in a constructive manner. My husband is second year DO and have all books laying around and I keep wondering if I can use any to start a head.

Thanks again for the feedback!

No I agree with you, thanks tons... I just feel that I need to brush off the rust a bit at one point before I start school for real and want to do it in a constructive manner. My husband is second year DO and have all books laying around and I keep wondering if I can use any to start a head.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Power couple. Best of luck.

Hey everyone!

I’ve heard some horror stories about administration at NYCPM. Do you know anything about this?
Also, do you think the way the curriculum is structured, it is the most effective way for students to retain the material? I understand that it’s rigorous but if it’s effective I guess it’s not really an issue.
When the professors teach do they really teach and not reach off a PPT slide? How receptive are they to helping out students who are struggling? How available are the professors to the students to go over exams, questions, and content?

would you say that it’s difficult to find clinical podiatrist research experience at NYCPM?

lastly, would you say that NYCPM students have better residency placement outcomes at more prestigious residencies than other schools?

I’ve heard some horror stories about administration at NYCPM. Do you know anything about this? Second year here. Whatever horror stories you have heard about NYCPM is probably more true than not.
Also, do you think the way the curriculum is structured, it is the most effective way for students to retain the material? I understand that it’s rigorous but if it’s effective I guess it’s not really an issue. I guess I do retain SOME of the material but that's probably because I have to study all day everyday since we take two exams per week. I should clarify that when I say retain, I don't retain it after the respective semester ends lol
When the professors teach do they really teach and not reach off a PPT slide? Some professors teach well, some don't, some read off of powerpoints (this is true mostly in the clinical classes). How receptive are they to helping out students who are struggling? I have encountered 2-3 professors who were receptive to actually help out struggling students. Rest of them don't really bother or do not answer emails. How available are the professors to the students to go over exams, questions, and content? The thing with NYCPM is you get "exam reviews" which last for 15 minutes, where you get to see what you got wrong (however, we don't have this option anymore due to covid. We now get an item analysis of what topics we got wrong which doesn't really help). Keep in mind that you cannot take pictures of what you got wrong. Most professors will not go over what you got wrong (but, two professors actually went over my wrong answers with me but those two are the same people who help struggling students and do not leave them hanging).

would you say that it’s difficult to find clinical podiatrist research experience at NYCPM? I am not sure what you mean by that. In third year, we all have to do a poster presentation so I am not sure if that's what you mean.

lastly, would you say that NYCPM students have better residency placement outcomes at more prestigious residencies than other schools? I don't think so? I think the chances are same as if you were a student at another school. However, I have heard that NY residency directors are lax with NYCPM students because they know how hard the school is; but I cannot confirm its authenticity.
Lastly, I will say that I don't see the point of such "rigorous" training at NYCPM when we all (including people from other schools) are gonna end up being podiatrists anyway. I feel like other schools do a better job at upholding their curricula and avoid causing unnecessary stress to students simultaneously, unlike NYCPM. I feel like the school just does too much by keeping you in mandatory lectures 8 hours a day (sometimes more) and scheduling two exams per week. NYCPM is a school you would go to if you wanna accelerate your depression. It is a school where you have to study all day in order to pass.

Lastly, I will say that I don't see the point of such "rigorous" training at NYCPM when we all (including people from other schools) are gonna end up being podiatrists anyway. I feel like other schools do a better job at upholding their curricula and avoid causing unnecessary stress to students simultaneously, unlike NYCPM. I feel like the school just does too much by keeping you in mandatory lectures 8 hours a day (sometimes more) and scheduling two exams per week. NYCPM is a school you would go to if you wanna accelerate your depression. It is a school where you have to study all day in order to pass.
Thank you so much for your honest answers. I feel like i get pretty much the same response as you from other students or graduates. I keep searching for a silver lining or that its just a couple of people who had a bad experience but it seems like thats not the case.

I interviewed at Temple on friday, am interviewing at DMU and Midwestern soon. If you were me, would you choose to attend a different school than NYCPM? Bc it sounds like you regret going NYCPM.