UQ acceptance/rejection thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shan564

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the benefit of future applicants, I thought it would be useful for us to start a thread outlining what kind of credentials it takes to be accepted/rejected from UQ.

This year, applications were reviewed starting May 1. I think the following info would probably be useful:

Conditional offer, unconditional offer, or rejection?
When did you get your offer?
When did you submit your application?
What was your MCAT/GAMSAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, my offer was just verbal (haven't received a written offer yet), but I guess I'll go ahead and start it off:

Type of offer: Unconditional
Date of offer: May 13 (woot!)
Application submission date: Sent by OzTREKK to UQ on March 4.
MCAT score: 35Q (13PS, 10VR, 12 BS)

Conditional offer, unconditional offer, or rejection?: Unconditional Offer
When did you get your offer?: 8 May 08
When did you submit your application?: 3 Mar 08
What was your MCAT/GAMSAT score?: MCAT 28O

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats you two! My application didn't arrive until April 24th....hope there is still room:D

Same here, still waiting. Submitted March 14th.

I'm thinking about applying to Austrailian schools......am I too late? Also, any info about programs will be much appreciated.

I'm thinking about applying to Austrailian schools......am I too late? Also, any info about programs will be much appreciated.

As stated elsewhere, it's probably too late for Queensland and Wollongong, more so for the latter because of a small class size.

As for the other programs you can apply to two schools through ACER. Google search GAMSAT for the application website. There you will find the most recent admissions guide that will tell you everything you need to know about AU med schools and the ones accepting international students. Generally, Flinder's and Melbourne have the highest standards of admissions. Sydney and Queensland would be next but there seems to be little information about ANU, Monash, and others either because of the class size or how relatively new the program is.

You can apply to Flinders and Melbourne without going through ACER.

Hm. I sent my application in directly to UofQ on Feb 22, and I haven't heard anything. Shan564; just wondering if UofQ has contacted you directly yet regarding your offer, or are you currently aware of your status simply as a result of contacting them directly?

I've got a 34R, and I'm wondering why I haven't heard anything yet.

Hm. I sent my application in directly to UofQ on Feb 22, and I haven't heard anything. Shan564; just wondering if UofQ has contacted you directly yet regarding your offer, or are you currently aware of your status simply as a result of contacting them directly?

UQ is evaluating their applications alphabetically. Offers for those with surnames at the beginning of the alphabet were given last week. The people at OzTREKK said they should be getting to the rest this week.

Good to know. I think by the end of this whole process i'm going to be manic depressive. There is so little information available to applicants such as myself as far as giving specific dates for when applications are processed and offers of placements are issued. I've spent the last ~2 1/2 months eagerly checking my email in morning, confident that i'll get accepted, only to stare blankly at a screen devoid of UofQ correspondance. Would have been nice to know that I shouldn't have expected to hear anything until now.

Yeah, my last name starts with an "S"... so I guess it'll be later this week.

Date of offer: email (informal, October 2007), formal April 2008, sent in my deposit already
Application submission date: sent in by UQ online application, not thru Ozztrek or ACER
MCAT score: 33Q (12PS, 10VR, 11 BS)

Members don't see this ad :)
Some American medical schools such as Wash U and Johns Hopkins University are overrated. You wouldnèt want to live in St. Louis or Baltimore and get shot while going to work.

UQ, U Sydney and U Melbourne are in much better cities. My boyfriend goes to one of the top 3 US medical schools and he said if he were offered a job in Brisbane, he would go there in a flash.

Some American medical schools such as Wash U and Johns Hopkins University are overrated. You wouldnèt want to live in St. Louis or Baltimore and get shot while going to work.

St. Louis isn't as bad as people think (I'm from there). Wash U is actually in one of the best parts of town; there are just a few areas where the crime rate is higher, but even my mom isn't afraid of going there during the daytime.

Baltimore may not be a great city, but Hopkins has a beautiful campus. The areas surrounding Hopkins are also pretty nice.

That aside, I'm pretty sure that I'll like Brisbane better than I liked St. Louis.

UQ, U Sydney and U Melbourne are in much better cities. My boyfriend goes to one of the top 3 US medical schools and he said if he were offered a job in Brisbane, he would go there in a flash.

If you were lucky enough to get into Wash U I wouldn't think of going somewhere else purely for the city; plus St. Louis is not that much worse than other places...not bad enough to sacrifice going to the #1 medical school in the US.

I can't even stress how much more difficult it would be to get into Wash U than UQ. I won't comment on the prestige of these universities as I do not know the research/grant money that UQ receives but as a big eight school I'm sure it's up there.

I guess I'm a little jaded on how contrasted admissions porcedures are between UQ and top american schools. The again, I'm hoping it works out for me and my 28 MCAT because I sure as hell won't be getting into MD school here in the states haha.

If you were lucky enough to get into Wash U I wouldn't think of going somewhere else purely for the city; plus St. Louis is not that much worse than other places...not bad enough to sacrifice going to the #1 medical school in the US.

I can't even stress how much more difficult it would be to get into Wash U than UQ. I won't comment on the prestige of these universities as I do not know the research/grant money that UQ receives but as a big eight school I'm sure it's up there.

I guess I'm a little jaded on how contrasted admissions porcedures are between UQ and top american schools. The again, I'm hoping it works out for me and my 28 MCAT because I sure as hell won't be getting into MD school here in the states haha.

Actually, my guy applied to all the top med schools (and got interviewed at all of them) except for Wash U because he said he wouldn't be caught dead living in St. Louis. My dad told me to keep away from a few cities in the USA: Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore, Newark, Atlanta. I tend to agree. I guess it's not so bad as a student but I really pity the poor professors and doctors who have to work there. Yikes!!!

Personally, I'd call the school if I were you. Last year, they forgot my interviews!

Actually, my guy applied to all the top med schools (and got interviewed at all of them) except for Wash U because he said he wouldn't be caught dead living in St. Louis. My dad told me to keep away from a few cities in the USA: Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore, Newark, Atlanta. I tend to agree. I guess it's not so bad as a student but I really pity the poor professors and doctors who have to work there. Yikes!!!

Good advice.

Well, my offer was just verbal (haven't received a written offer yet), but I guess I'll go ahead and start it off:

Date of offer: Still haven't an official offer, but I was told that I will be receiving an offer when I called on May 7 (yesterday).
Application submission date: Sent by OzTREKK to UQ on March 4.
MCAT score: 35Q (13PS, 10VR, 12 BS)

Great MCAT scores! I'm sure you'll love Brisbane (I'll love it too) if you're indeed going to UQ. Everybody who's ever visited Brissie raves about what a great city it is: Gold Coast & the Great Barrier Reef :)

Brisbane is pretty but that is about it, its too underpopulated to be fun. Sydney has a lot more to it than Brisbane. I know a guy who moved to Brizzy and thought about killing himself. I don't think its that bad but when you compare it to Sydney and Melbourne, the city is dead boring. Aussie medical schools have fairly long breaks so you could make a trip to the GC and Reef during your holidays.

Most US cities are crap in general I would agree, best cities though are in Europe by far, especially in terms of things to do and see. I am thinking I might even go to the UK.

Unconditional offer
March 13, 2008
33T

Woot!

Date of offer: Applied through OzTREKK, got their acceptance PDF and an email from UQ admissions telling me I'm in.
Application submission date: Applied to OzTREKK in February, forwarded by OzTREKK at the beginning of May.
MCAT score: 38N
GPA: 2.68 (how close is that, eh?)

Woot!

Date of offer: Applied through OzTREKK, got their acceptance PDF and an email from UQ admissions telling me I'm in.
Application submission date: Applied to OzTREKK in February, forwarded by OzTREKK at the beginning of May.
MCAT score: 38N
GPA: 2.68 (how close is that, eh?)

I think they might have made an exception to the GPA requirement because of your 38... Matt told me that my 35 might be enough to make an exception. My GPA was borderline too... it was 2.88, but that's because I repeated a couple of classes (some Australian schools require you to include ALL classes in your GPA calculation, including the classes you ended up repeating).

Got my official offer today! See you in Brisbane!

Yeah, perhaps. I'm not really disappointed with my GPA though - I just finished an awfully tough Electrical Engineering degree. Either way, I'm happy to be in! We'll talk more closer to the date :)

Yeah, perhaps. I'm not really disappointed with my GPA though - I just finished an awfully tough Electrical Engineering degree. Either way, I'm happy to be in! We'll talk more closer to the date :)

Yeah... my chemistry degree wasn't the easiest in the world, but probably not as hard as EE. That aside, the main reason why I'm disappointed with my GPA is because I know I could have done better if I hadn't skipped classes and blown off studying.

38N...wow!...brady8, you must be real smart...congrats!

Zuck

deleted deleted deleted deleted

Last edited:
WOOT!! *hugs Giant Axon*

Date Received: May 12, 2008
Application Submitted: Feb 20, 2008
MCAT score: 34R (BS 13 VR 10 PS 11)

i know there have been some speculations on here so i thought i'd enlighten everyone in case they didn't know...
I had my "consultation" today with the Deputy Head of the UQ SOM and that $9000 deposit required to accept your place in the program is FULLY REFUNDABLE!!!
definitely makes the decision that much easier!

i know there have been some speculations on here so i thought i'd enlighten everyone in case they didn't know...
I had my "consultation" today with the Deputy Head of the UQ SOM and that $9000 deposit required to accept your place in the program is FULLY REFUNDABLE!!!
definitely makes the decision that much easier!

Thanks for the update, but we already established this in the other active UQ thread.

For the UQ decision, are there anyone here who have been accepted did not apply from oztrekk? If so, how long does it take them to give an answer? I submitted mine in March, but they just received my final results and MCAT about a week ago. They told me that it is with the Faculty now.

For the UQ decision, have anyone here who has been accepted did not apply from oztrekk? If so, how long does it take them to give an answer? I submitted mine in March, but they just received my final results and MCAT about a week ago. They told me that it is with the Faculty now.

UQ won't look at your application until your MCAT score comes in... so you effectively applied a week ago.

Hey guys,
There's a facebook group for the UQ class of 2012 already set up by Matt. I will join as soon as my loans are in and my deposit is paid. You guys should all join!

Ya, I noticed that. It's under 'UQ med 2012' if I remember correctly. I have to get my loan situation sorted out and it doesn't look good for people who don't have relatively wealthy parents :confused:

Zuck

Ya, I noticed that. It's under 'UQ med 2012' if I remember correctly. I have to get my loan situation sorted out and it doesn't look good for people who don't have relatively wealthy parents :confused:

Zuck

Here in the US there are credit-based loans available to students regardless of where you're going. Since I'm doing the PhD in addition to the MBBS I'm going to have to borrow some major money. I'm suprised Canada doesn't have meachinsms for this. Did you try Sallie Mae, Chase, etc.? Just make sure you have good credit. You can check at FreeCreditReport.com (a catchy commercial shown here in the US starring, ironically, a french canadian singer).

Hey Neulite,

I think Sallie Mae, Chase are only for US citizens and non-US citizens that go to US schools.

Canada sucks in terms of trying to get loans.

Zuck

Hey Neulite,

I think Sallie Mae, Chase are only for US citizens and non-US citizens that go to US schools.

Canada sucks in terms of trying to get loans.

Zuck

wow that does suck. It seems Canada is doing its best to keep you guys there. Try looking at scholarships. O Canada must have some.

I think you can get Stafford and GradPlus loans for Aussie medicals schools from any company that offers Stafford and Gradplus loans, the school just needs an MPN, MBBS is equivalent to MD, so you are professional student for loan purposes.

Teri cut off their program a while back. I used to use TERI and now just used Stafford and Gradplus, its actually easier to get Gradplus because they don't go
through a full credit check.

From what I know, both Stafford and Gradplus are for US citizens. So, for Canadians this isn't an option which sucks...

Zuck

Zuck,
Is there no way you can convince your parents to co-sign? Sure it is a gamble but let them think of it as more of an investment. You've been accepted to UQ, in 4 years you will be a doctor and you will be able to repay the loan without them having to attack your co-signers. I don't really know you but I'm sure you have some sort of plan to help your folks when you are done with school....this is more incentive for them right?
That might actually be your only way....unless....well have you seen the movie 21 yet? hahaha jks sorry don't do what he does...:p

Zuck,
Is there no way you can convince your parents to co-sign? Sure it is a gamble but let them think of it as more of an investment. You've been accepted to UQ, in 4 years you will be a doctor and you will be able to repay the loan without them having to attack your co-signers. I don't really know you but I'm sure you have some sort of plan to help your folks when you are done with school....this is more incentive for them right?
That might actually be your only way....unless....well have you seen the movie 21 yet? hahaha jks sorry don't do what he does...:p

For some people, blackjack is a better option. Not everybody is blessed with the ability to go to their parents for help. You've got a tough dilemma there... maybe you should contact OzTREKK or UQ and see if they have some sort of program to help you out.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. Ya, it'll be a pity if I can't attend because they don't cosign. My parents don't really want me to do med so that doesn't help.

Zuck

Hey Zuckman,
Have you had the actually meeting with RBC yet? or just talked to them over the phone? I suggest going in to any branch in person, sitting down with them for a meeting and they will do a credit check and be able to see if you can do it solo. I had a meeting today with them and it's all set up, they are doing the credit check but by Friday or Monday I should know if I need to co-signer. Apparently the financial advisor that helped me said he doesn't think I even need one. It's worth checking out bud.

Hey Rugby,

I did get a check done over the phone with them. They took all my info (assets, etc) and the next day they told me I'd need a cosigner.

I was already denied by TD even with a cosigner. My Dad didn't even want to be a cosigner but we went with the check anyway. Ya, I'm running out of options but we'll see what happens...

Zuck

Is anyone out there still waiting on a response from UQ? I feel like I'm the only one... started to develop an ulcer...jk. Just to share my update, Matt from Oztrek says UQ is having problems with completing their application round, and they still have spots for Canadian students, but they are working through decisions. Very vague. Can anyone else share?