UQ acceptance/rejection thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, still waiting here... and so are 3 of my friends. I hate the waiting... lol

Matt didn't elaborate on the UQ situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Last he said UQ was having "problems" with their application process. He assured me that he was hounding them for results. UQ sent him a msg stating that they had a new batch of acceptances they were sending out next week, and there were still spots available for Canadian students

sounds good, thanks! that's definitely good to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Type of offer: Unconditional
Date Received: Not sure... (MCAT result didn't come out until May 20th)
Application Submitted: See above
MCAT score: 30Q (BS 10 VR 11 PS 9)

If UOW accepts me anytime before July 11th, it is very likely that I would go there instead. We'll see what happens. Best birthday ever!

Hang in there guys, there should also be a "hand full" of spots opening up come summer time because it seems like that is when the deposit is due for a lot of us. So stay positive!

Last edited:
I posted this in another thread, but just so you know:

I have a $150k line of credit from the RBC as of last week. They required a cosigner because it's an international school (my brother is going to school here, same bank, didn't need a cosigner). They just require that someone signing is staying in Canada for the duration - they don't actually check credit worthiness, so those with poorass parents (such as my own) should be fine.

Only my Mom signed, and she doesn't have a job and has almost zero assets. So... you should be fine! Try RBC!

I posted this in another thread, but just so you know:

I have a $150k line of credit from the RBC as of last week. They required a cosigner because it's an international school (my brother is going to school here, same bank, didn't need a cosigner). They just require that someone signing is staying in Canada for the duration - they don't actually check credit worthiness, so those with poorass parents (such as my own) should be fine.

Only my Mom signed, and she doesn't have a job and has almost zero assets. So... you should be fine! Try RBC!
u bring a ray of hope lol! thanks
btw which branch/agent did ya go to?

Edmonton (Strathcona branch, since it's close to the U so they're familiar with that type of loan).

IMO it shouldn't matter though as everything goes through central. Whoever you're talking to doesn't actually make any of the decisions on it.

Best of luck!

thanks. i just got an acceptance from university college cork...in ireland. I figure i'll apply for the LOC based on this and if UQ comes thru, i'll go to UQ. I will waste $6000, but i'll think of it as security for saving one wasted year AND i prefer oz to ireland (weatherwise and financially)
any advice for the LOC application?

My application was submitted June 11th to UQ................Do I even have a chance at this time?

Hey guys,

I've checked with RBC. They definitely want a cosigner. They said that they always do a credit check for all cosigners. Brady, I think they did a check but sort of behind the scenes.

Zuck

My application was submitted June 11th to UQ................Do I even have a chance at this time?

Back when I applied in April, Matt from oztrekk said that most applicants who apply to UQ in mid-June are not successful. But that doesn't mean it'll be a 100% no, it just means that your chances are slimmer than if you applied early.

I am still waiting for a reply right now...

Ireland will be incredibly more expensive than Australia, there is also the issue of staying if you like either place. Australia is very doable but Ireland is a shut door.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,

congrats to those accepted and best wishes to those still waiting. I recently started to consider Australian universities and I was wondering, if I'm applying for entry in September 2009, is it too late? I went to the website GAMSAT website and it says that the deadline for international applications is next week (June 27th). But I saw in this thread that some of you applied earlier this year and have received responses for September 2008. So my question is, if I can potentially apply around Feb 2009 for Sept 2009, how come the deadline posted is for next week ? :confused:
can someone please clarify? thanks,

The academic year in Australia starts in January, so those of us who have already applied and been accepted are starting in January 2009. That's why the deadline is next week.

The academic year in Australia starts in January, so those of us who have already applied and been accepted are starting in January 2009. That's why the deadline is next week.

oh! mm, that poses a problem. i'm entering my final year at univ in the fall and i won't finish until june 2009; i don't think i can apply to melbourne next year because their site states that they're not accepting a class in 2011 :( just my luck :scared:

oh! mm, that poses a problem. i'm entering my final year at univ in the fall and i won't finish until june 2009; i don't think i can apply to melbourne next year because their site states that they're not accepting a class in 2011 :( just my luck :scared:

University of Melbourne is changing their program from a 4.5 year MBBS program to a 4 year program (graduate-entry only). That's why they're not accepting new students for 2010, and you'll need to wait for the 2011 entry year (which will start in Jan/Feb 2011). Their 4.5 year program starts in July, so they need to skip a year in order to not double the number of students in one particular year.

You'll have to apply to the Feb. 2010 entry for UQ and other schools if you finish in june 2009. But just a reminder... UQ won't look at your application unless you've been approved for graduation. Seeing that many schools are slow when it comes to graduation approvals, there could potentially be problems.

Can one not apply to Melbourne later than the other Aussie med schools seeing how it starts in July rather than Jan/Feb ???

:confused:

Hey guys,

I've checked with RBC. They definitely want a cosigner. They said that they always do a credit check for all cosigners. Brady, I think they did a check but sort of behind the scenes.

Zuck

My apologies Zuck, I should have been more precise. They definitely did a credit check on my Mom to make sure she had a solid credit history, but they were not concerned with credit worthiness as much as they would be with a mortgage application. As in, they were not looking at debt ratio (your income/month versus interest+principal payments per month).

Just to clarify - I tried applying for a mortgage for a condo last year with my Mom cosigning, and got turned down on debt ratio since she doesn't have any income, whereas that wasn't a problem for cosigning for my line of credit.

I hope that's all clear now :)

Sigh... still waiting on UQ here... my application was submitted back in April. anyone else still waiting for a reply? I emailed oztrekk last Monday and they said that the UQ admissions office was moving offices, therefore causing a delay, and that a batch of acceptances was supposed to come by the end of last week. but still nothing...

I'm getting very worried, because I am leaving for a trip to China in less than a week, and I won't have regular internet access. I sure hope I hear something this week...

Sigh... still waiting on UQ here... my application was submitted back in April. anyone else still waiting for a reply? I emailed oztrekk last Monday and they said that the UQ admissions office was moving offices, therefore causing a delay, and that a batch of acceptances was supposed to come by the end of last week. but still nothing...

I'm getting very worried, because I am leaving for a trip to China in less than a week, and I won't have regular internet access. I sure hope I hear something this week...

Same here!! I have ireland deposit due on thursday, and i was hoping for UQ to confirm my status before then. now i will be wasting 6000$ on UCC as backup :(
Matt said today wud be the LATEST it can be, but today i kept on calling oztrekk..:confused:no one picked up
oh well goodluck to the waiting ppl

They might have been on holiday today because tomorrow is July 1st. a lot of people were off today because for most places, it's useless to go to work for one day and then go on holiday the next right away... so they're probably just having a long weekend, unfortunately for us. let's hope to find out on Wednesday...

UQ's yearly expense is coming out close to 65k/yr..........am I estimating this correctly?

Also, those of you who are already at UQ........is cost of living much higher in Brisbane than USA cities like Boston/NY etc?

How much should I really expect to spend on food/living/transportation?

Wednesday now, still waiting for a response from UQ. I know a couple of others are in this positions as well... any word?

I emailed oztrekk yesterday and they told me this: "We have been told that they are processing them and we should receive them in the coming days. Unfortunately, they do not give us an exact date as to when that will be."

It's really quite frustrating, and I don't really know what could possibly be taking them so long... :/

I called UQ directly, they told me that they will have some decisions by next week.

Good luck everyone.

I emailed medicine head office 2 days back, and was told yesterday morning that i have been accepted for 09 entry...i straight-up asked them ...am i accepted or not lol

*sigh*

Pretty frustrated and apprehensive right now as I've been waiting on this news for a few months (Apps May 13th), but hopefully we'll receive some definitely news in the upcoming weeks.

Just got my rejection from Flinders this am.

Diddo gmacpac. I too got my rejection this morning. Just know your not the only one. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your other schools

This is for my fellow UQ SOM 2009 applicants who are still waiting for a decision.

I had a brief conversation with Oztrekk Matt yesterday and he has informed me that UQ is delaying its next wave of admission offers due to the dean's absence in the last couple of weeks and due to the faculty offices being moved...Furthermore, there's a strong possibility that UQ SOM is waiting for the responses from applicants who were granted admission in May. The deadline for the $10k acceptance deposit is July 11th so the new wave of offers shouldn't be delayed much longer.

Here are a few numbers that Matt tossed at me yesterday to help all of us get an idea of how far the rolling admission process has progressed.
*Numbers updated as of July 9th

- Number of offers issued by UQ to Oztrekk applicants: 70
- Number of offers accepted by Oztrekk applicants for UQ: 37
- Number of offers declined by Oztrekk applicants for UQ: 26
- Number of offers still pending decision ($10k) by applicant: 7
*Note that the deadline for the deposit is July 11th (tomorrow)

Finally, here's a stat to help you figure out where you are in the assessment pecking order:

I applied on April 6th but due to the sketchy University of Ottawa who didn't issue my official transcript until June 9th I have been moved for the assessment list and am sitting in the 40th position. This position only applies to students who have applied via Oztrekk. If June 9th means 40th, you can have an approximate idea of where you are in the assessment list.
Furthermore, Matt told me that a few applicants don't even meet the 8/8/8/M or 2.67 minimum requirements so those who do meet them might jump up in the list.
At this time, they have assessed applications received at UQ SOM up to the second week of May.

*NON Oztrekk applicants are not factored into these stats therefore that variable remains*
**This is NOT OFFICIAL numbers issued by UQ SOM or Oztrekk but simply numbers Matt shared but as per usual he offers very up to date and reliable information**

Thank you for the information. It puts my mind (somewhat) at ease instead of churning in turmoil in response to the palpable silence from UQ admissions.

Also, I'm having my interview with Flinders on Aug 4 and don't quite understand their admissions process. Do they just take in international each interview round, choosing whomever fufills their requirements (whatever they may be) instead of doing a pooled applicants assessment?

Thanks for the info! I was getting very frustrated with the waiting, so that's definitely something to think about for the time being. hopefully we'll all find out soon...

Edit: I sent an email to UQ's head office (as per torontonerd's post) last Friday, asking them about my application status. I just received a reply today, and they told me that I have been accepted! They gave a very vague reason for the delay: "Unfortunately the Head of School had been occupied with an unexpected matter which delayed the next round of offers."

But yeah, it looks like the next batch will be sent out soon. so all of you who are still waiting should get it soon.

Edit 2: By the way, my application was originally submitted to UQ by Oztrekk on April 21st, but they did not receive my proof of graduation until May 19th (which was considered sufficient to complete my application). So that, along with the information in gohabs' post above, should give you a better idea of where you might stand.

Last edited:
This is for my fellow UQ SOM 2009 applicants who are still waiting for a decision.

I had a brief conversation with Oztrekk Matt yesterday and he has informed me that UQ is delaying its next wave of admission offers due to the dean's absence in the last couple of weeks and due to the faculty offices being moved...Furthermore, there's a strong possibility that UQ SOM is waiting for the responses from applicants who were granted admission in May. The deadline for the $10k acceptance deposit is July 11th so the new wave of offers shouldn't be delayed much longer.

Here are a few numbers that Matt tossed at me yesterday to help all of us get an idea of how far the rolling admission process has progressed.
*Numbers updated as of July 9th

- Number of offers issued by UQ to Oztrekk applicants: 70
- Number of offers accepted by Oztrekk applicants for UQ: 37
- Number of offers declined by Oztrekk applicants for UQ: 26
- Number of offers still pending decision ($10k) by applicant: 7
*Note that the deadline for the deposit is July 11th (tomorrow)

Finally, here's a stat to help you figure out where you are in the assessment pecking order:

I applied on April 6th but due to the sketchy University of Ottawa who didn't issue my official transcript until June 9th I have been moved for the assessment list and am sitting in the 40th position. This position only applies to students who have applied via Oztrekk. If June 9th means 40th, you can have an approximate idea of where you are in the assessment list.
Furthermore, Matt told me that a few applicants don't even meet the 8/8/8/M or 2.67 minimum requirements so those who do meet them might jump up in the list.
At this time, they have assessed applications received at UQ SOM up to the second week of May.

*NON Oztrekk applicants are not factored into these stats therefore that variable remains*
**This is NOT OFFICIAL numbers issued by UQ SOM or Oztrekk but simply numbers Matt shared but as per usual he offers very up to date and reliable information**

That probably means that there will be far less than 100 international students at UQ. Most other schools have kept their international spots steady. Sydney has 45 places this year.

on the contrary, i think there might be 100 or more. if they issued offers to 70 applicants thru Oztrekk, i'm pretty sure they will fill that quota. don't forget there are other agencies which service the US (australearn) and other countries, and not to forget their own direct application system, as well as ACER. if you look at the big picture, you might end up with 100+ or so

HanmoLi, Do you mind sharing the email address of the head office so I can write them a quick email? Thanks

So I followed torontonerd and HanmoLi and sent an e-mail to [email protected] on Tuesday evening (July 8th). I got an answer back from them last night.

HanmoLi, I think we received the identical e-mail. I got the same sketchy information about the Head of School's absence and the same acceptance details!!

I'm assuming the next wave of offers should be arriving next week, now that they have been signed, sealed and hopefully sent.

They didn't start assessing my completed application until the second week of June because of my late proof of graduation from Ottawa U, so they're at least that far in the order of assessment...if that really means anything of course.

hehe so I followed gohabs, torontonerd and HanmoLi and got the identical email from [email protected] on wed night as well.
just one question: have aussie gotten enough doc in the rural and remote area already? how come they dont allow us to do intern there anymore??

hehe so I followed gohabs, torontonerd and HanmoLi and got the identical email from [email protected] on wed night as well.
just one question: have aussie gotten enough doc in the rural and remote area already? how come they dont allow us to do intern there anymore??
lol they are prolly sittin in their offices pissed that we keep buggin em hehe
well, all you guys who know they are going...what is ur LOC status..financial matters settled?
MAN i cant wait to get the acceptance letter in my hand...sometimes i have a feeling they are playing with me...one day i might get a mail...saying in huge fonts "HA HA mate....we were JUST joking, don't bother coming here *mean looking kangaroo on the side*"

lol yeah, it would definitely be more re-assuring to see the official letter. I'm actually currently on a trip in China right now, and I'll only return to Canada in mid-august, after going to see the olympics in Beijing. That means I won't get to see the official acceptance letter until then, and hopefully that leaves me enough time to process everything after I get back. I don't think the LOC will be too much of a problem for me... there is enough assets in my family to back it up. although from reading other threads, that still might be problematic. I just hope it'll be okay... this is just bad timing for me I guess lol.

oh and by the way, do you guys know anything about whether or not we need full vaccinations before we actually go to UQ for school? I know some vaccination programs take like 6 months to complete, and there really isn't enough time to finish them completely before leaving for UQ...

Is there a Facebook group for class of 2012?:)

There sure is...UQ MBBS/MED Class of 2012

Hey kids,

I'm a 1st year student at UQ and, as the title suggests, tonight I decided to take a walk down memory lane. I used to frequent these forums regularly last year when I lived in New Brunswick (Canada.. for those from the west).

Last year, I applied to UQ in June and was accepted in October for entry in 2009. I got a call from Matt (Oztrek rep) on November 27th telling me that a position was available for 2008. I organized my loan, booked my plane ticket, applied for a 60 day electronic visa, and hopped on the plane arriving in the land of OZ on January 7th. I had a few speedbumps along the way, for example; it took the school about 6 weeks to get back to me after my interview when it was suppose to take two, also the phone call for my interview was over an hour late..... overall I feel that Matt was helpful and I was happy to be accepted!

My roommate is another Canadian with a different story. He applied in June and was told (by Matt I believe) that he would receive an interview and would likely be accepted. He was called THE DAY BEFORE the inteview about his interview!!... apparently he was reading forums and noticed that interviews were being done in his area and questioned Matt about why he didn't have one....... I guess there was a mix-up and his life was almost changed forever! -At the interview- He was the first person interviewed by prof. Cleghorn (sp?). He was told face-to-face at his interview that he would be the first canadian accepted and would soon receive an offer. Months went by, he communicated with Matt who told him that things were being held up because the admissions office was moving and the Dean was away..... where have we heard that before??? Eventually he called UQ and asked them what was going on. They told him the class had been full for over a month. He was not in the class. For personal reasons, he had his heart set on Brisbane/UQ and his dreams were crushed. He felt betrayed by Matt because Matt should have known that the class was full. Luckily, a few extra spots opened at the end of November(likely due to unpaid 10k payments, or possibly motivated by the greed of UQ som) and he organized his life and arrived in OZ a month later.

Our two stories give you a few different perspectives on the acceptance process from two current 1st year students. I have some opinions on living, the school, and the IMG topics, but I think I'll save them for another day. GL guys

The admissions process used to be very different, they used to take applications mostly through ACER.

The acer application process is almost irrelevant to UQ entrance for IMGs. Neither of the applications from my previous post were done through acer. For those who don't follow, UQ also accepts applications directly from IMGs or through the acer system. Applications submitted directly go immediatley to the school, and since the IMG entrance is rolling, those applications are the first evaluated and those applicants are the first accepted. Acer submits the applications, all at the same time, late in the year (not sure at the exact date but I believe it is some time in late August or September). Because of this process, I don't believe that any IMG acer applicants get accepted to UQ for the following years cohort.

Because of this process, I don't believe that any IMG acer applicants get accepted to UQ for the following years cohort.

You are mistaken. I applied through ACER in mid-June and received my offer from UQ last week. They do different rounds of admissions for internationals since people like myself wrote the GAMSAT. Those results don't come out until May as opposed to Feb with the MCAT.

If you check UQ's website it states that you have until the end of June to get your application in for classes commencing Jan 2009.

You are mistaken. I applied through ACER in mid-June and received my offer from UQ last week. They do different rounds of admissions for internationals since people like myself wrote the GAMSAT. Those results don't come out until May as opposed to Feb with the MCAT.

If you check UQ's website it states that you have until the end of June to get your application in for classes commencing Jan 2009.

Be that as it may, I believe you're in the minority of internationals who apply through ACER and get accepted. I think the point is that if you want the best possible opportunity of getting accepted (given rolling admissions) you want to get your application in as early as possible. I applied directly to UQ in February and got my acceptance in may, and if I had gone through Oztrekk my application probably would have gotten in around the same time, except with Oztrekk (and some other application services) you don't have to pay the ~$100 application fee. So going through ACER is fine, but your best chance is to apply directly to the school as soon as you can, or use an application service.