UQ-Ochsner 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omidvar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

The previous UQ-Ochsner 2016 thread mysteriously disappeared overnight so I thought I'd get a new one going. I understand everyone (myself included) from the first batch of applications is patiently awaiting to hear back from the program.....I sure hope it doesn't take too long :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I was actually looking for the thread and was wondering if it was just me. Also, I think we will have to wait another month or so to hear back from UQ. Going off of last years thread.

Yeah, must have disappeared or got modded for some reason. I had my Skype interview in late March, and was told 6-8 weeks by MedEdPath, which would put a decision in line with when people heard for the 2015 intake last year, around early-mid May. Anyone else look at the updated tuition for 2016? Yikes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats the updated tuition? Last I saw it was 58 something AUD. Which is around 46 USD. Cost for private med school in America pretty much.

well the conversion rate is 1.28, so it not as much;). It appears the application committee meets in May, so around may 15-20.

Oh wow, 64,240...thats a serious negative point against UQ for me. Thats so much money.

Reactions: 1 user
well government students loans have great interest rates so get it quick. and start saving some money,lol. im sure mededpath site isn't accurate since 58 to 64K is about 10% increase, its too high of an increase.

Cost of education is something to consider. It was one of many reasons that I choose to go to University of Wollongong and withdraw my application to UQ.

well government students loans have great interest rates so get it quick. and start saving some money,lol. im sure mededpath site isn't accurate since 58 to 64K is about 10% increase, its too high of an increase.

A 10% increase although high is not out of the question. Flinders is increasing 9% annually. They may also be justifying the increase with the fact that you are getting guaranteed US Clinical exposure.

Although I really liked the UQ-Ochsner program, I had to sit down and think what I really wanted and what worked for me. In the end I couldn't justify paying the $64k USD tuition. Mind you, that is only tuition and you must also consider living expenses. UoW has everything I am looking for, plus the difference in tuition between UoW and UQ-O can be used cover my living expenses.

Members don't see this ad :)
the QU website says "Indicative annual fee: AUD$ 65824" this translates to ~50,800 USD . So if MedEdPath is saying is ~64 K USD, why is there ~13 K difference? Btw 64K USD =~83K AUD . Also, what is cost of tuition during the final two years at New Orleans ?

the QU website says "Indicative annual fee: AUD$ 65824" this translates to ~50,800 USD . So if MedEdPath is saying is ~64 K USD, why is there ~13 K difference? Btw 64K USD =~83K AUD . Also, what is cost of tuition during the final two years at New Orleans ?

Is that for the Ochsner program? Or for just UQ in general? The Ochsner program just might be that much more expensive.

not sure...mededpath website isn't very specific/informative/clear on the finances part of the program

I am going to try and set up an phone appointment with my admissions advisor, and Ill ask them about it. Ill report back next week or so, or whenever I can get an appointment.

Ochsner prices are always calculated in USD. It is not the AUD cost. If it says 64k USD, then that's what it is. I thought it would be closer to 60k this year but maybe they upped the cost.

so sean80439, did you roughly pay 75 K AUD for tuition (since 58 K USD =~75 AUD). Did they talk about the financials for years 3 and 4.

if one were to go four years at QU (international student) then its ~50K USD/yr , not sure why there is a 11-13K difference
(~64K) for 2016 entering class.

so sean80439, did you roughly pay 75 K AUD for tuition (since 58 K USD =~75 AUD). Did they talk about the financials for years 3 and 4.

if one were to go four years at QU (international student) then its ~50K USD/yr , not sure why there is a 11-13K difference
(~64K) for 2016 entering class.

I paid ~58k USD. If you are in the Ochsner program, you ignore AUD prices. The only time it matters is the conversion of your refund if you take out more than the required amount. Living expenses are calculated by the loan office and then added on to the loan as USD. Your refund is then given back to you in either USD if you are putting it into a US account, or they convert it for you at the current XE exchange rate and deposit it in a local bank. That is the preferred method, since you won't pay international transaction fees, transfer fees, and the like.

I don't know anything about the 4 year UQ program. You don't use mededpath for it though. You go through the school, or one of those programs that assist you in applying to international schools.

Just a quick look at the UQ admissions page, it's 65k AUD/year for international. That is NOT the Ochsner program. That is someone applying to the 4 year UQ MD program. The cost is different, and remember years 3 and 4 are different as well.

Last edited:
Is anyone else having serious doubts about applying or attending UQ Ochsner based on this price increase? $64,000 per year... and it could just keep going up. =(

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else having serious doubts about applying or attending UQ Ochsner based on this price increase? $64,000 per year... and it could just keep going up. =(

Yea, I intend to ask where the price increase is coming from. I would understand a few % increase, but I dont understand where this jump in cost is coming from. Is it just that much more expensive in Australia? It makes me think they are more into money making than the benefit of the student, which isnt the vibe I got at the interview or open house.

It looks bad on their part, in my opinion. They clearly want to be distinguished from the Carribbean schools, at the open house they even stated that they are not aiming to be like the carribbean schools. They are a "respectable" program, that wants to produce "quality" physicians. They want there program to compete with lower tier MD and DOs in the states. They arent gonna get the students or the reputation that they want with that price. Having a "Global Education" isnt gonna be enough to attract the type of students they need to put this program on the map. Its too much of a risk for those guys. I get there are costs that need to be covered, and that education is business, but there needs to be a balance. I mean the most expensive school in the states is what? 58,000?

Yea, I intend to ask where the price increase is coming from. I would understand a few % increase, but I dont understand where this jump in cost is coming from. Is it just that much more expensive in Australia? It makes me think they are more into money making than the benefit of the student, which isnt the vibe I got at the interview or open house.

It looks bad on their part, in my opinion. They clearly want to be distinguished from the Carribbean schools, at the open house they even stated that they are not aiming to be like the carribbean schools. They are a "respectable" program, that wants to produce "quality" physicians. They want there program to compete with lower tier MD and DOs in the states. They arent gonna get the students or the reputation that they want with that price. Having a "Global Education" isnt gonna be enough to attract the type of students they need to put this program on the map. Its too much of a risk for those guys. I get there are costs that need to be covered, and that education is business, but there needs to be a balance. I mean the most expensive school in the states is what? 58,000?

Its about the money, you are not being honest with yourself if you don't think it is. Also, the cost of medical education is actually pretty high, if medical education isn't subsidized it pretty much costs around that much per year. Tufts is 62k a year, and I believe they are the most expensive in the US at least they were a few years ago.

I think UQ wants to increase its income, but it also wishes to seed alumni all around the world. In 20-30 years time there may be some research discoveries or leaders that came from UQ-O and that will put them at an advantage compared to its competitors in Australia.

http://www.uq.edu.au/study/program.html?acad_prog=5579&year=2016 says the price for next year (2016) is $ 58400 USD.

The price of the program for traditional international student is $51175. If the first two years of medical school are the same for all students then why is there a +$7,225 difference per year for the Ochsner students?

What ever the cost may be Queenslands is making lots of money. (58400USD =75 K AUD) - (11k AUD cost for Aussies) = 64K x 100 students = + 6.4 Million.

At least the interests rates on student loans (government) are pretty low. Just take the money and do the repayment plan of >25 years.

Reactions: 1 users
http://www.uq.edu.au/study/program.html?acad_prog=5579&year=2016 says the price for next year (2016) is $ 58400 USD.

The price of the program for traditional international student is $51175. If the first two years of medical school are the same for all students then why is there a +$7,225 difference per year for the Ochsner students?

What ever the cost may be Queenslands is making lots of money. (58400USD =75 K AUD) - (11k AUD cost for Aussies) = 64K x 100 students = + 6.4 Million.

At least the interests rates on student loans (government) are pretty low. Just take the money and do the repayment plan of >25 years.

Maybe the 2 years training at Ochsner is valued more?

I'm looking into this program as well, and I wonder: How do you plan to pay for your tuition? Can you borrow federal student loans (such as Grad Plus) while you're in Australia? :cyclops:

I'm looking into this program as well, and I wonder: How do you plan to pay for your tuition? Can you borrow federal student loans (such as Grad Plus) while you're in Australia? :cyclops:
You'll have access to US federal student loans and VA educational benefits, if you qualify for that. The bigger concern is how you are going to pay it back after.

I just received an offer of acceptance!

When did they send your application to Queensland?

I think it was February 23rd. They were going to send it around February 20th but I had to renew my MCAT verification code. The issue was fixed for them on Feb. 23.

congrats on ur acceptance, mine too was sent around that time.

Accepted this morning! Interviewed early feb, application sent to UQ 2/17.

Anyone who applied to this program apply to Carribbean? I'm trying to decide between the two.

Australia beats Caribbean. You'll be an IMG either way anyway.

Are you talking about quality of education, or location? If the quality is similar, and I'm IMG anyways, shouldn't I go to the cheaper option. I got into SGU, and it's around 12,000 cheaper a year.

Are you talking about quality of education, or location? If the quality is similar, and I'm IMG anyways, shouldn't I go to the cheaper option. I got into SGU, and it's around 12,000 cheaper a year.

You should base your decision off of match results too. Because if you are taking out loans for your education, you have to repay them, and not matching, it becomes irrelevant where you went to school when you can't pay your student loans back.

Congrats to those who have been accepted!! Can yall share your MCAT & GPA stats? Anyone take the new mcat and waiting to find out what UQ-O is going to consider for the new minimum?

Congrats to those who have been accepted!! Can yall share your MCAT & GPA stats? Anyone take the new mcat and waiting to find out what UQ-O is going to consider for the new minimum?

Undergrad GPA: 2.8
SMP at U.S. Med School: 3.7
MCAT: 36

I just received an offer of acceptance!

Accepted this morning! Interviewed early feb, application sent to UQ 2/17.

Anyone who applied to this program apply to Carribbean? I'm trying to decide between the two.

Congrats to both of you on your acceptances! It is very exciting indeed. I wish you both the best.

@hcry63uc cost is something to consider. Which do you feel fits you best and you think you will succeed at. If you will exert the same amount of effort, think you have the same opportunities and have the same chances; then obviously saving some money doesn't hurt. ^_^ Just my opinion though.

I saw you got into Wollongong, what were your stats? Is there a reason you chose them over other Australian schools (besides cost)?

Congrats to both of you on your acceptances! It is very exciting indeed. I wish you both the best.

@hcry63uc cost is something to consider. Which do you feel fits you best and you think you will succeed at. If you will exert the same amount of effort, think you have the same opportunities and have the same chances; then obviously saving some money doesn't hurt. ^_^ Just my opinion though.
^^^^^

I saw you got into Wollongong, what were your stats? Is there a reason you chose them over other Australian schools (besides cost)?

Indeed I got into Wollongong and accepted my position there.

My stats:
Graduated with a 3.69 GPA. I am a non-traditional student. I did 2-years BS biochem, moved schools did 1 more semester and withdrew. Worked for 2-years and then decided to go back to school at another university. AMCAS has my cumulative GPA at 3.0 (shows you how poorly I did prior to going back to school and finding what I wanted to do)
MCAT: 29 (only took it once)

Although price is something to consider, it was not the biggest factor that led to decide to attend Wollongong. What drew me to Wollongong was:
1) the small class size (84 total med students). I benefited from a small school my second go at college and I hope to continue the same feeling and success in medical school.
2) Case-Based Learning pre-clinical education (I feel that giving context to what you learn is the best way of learning, which CBL provides. Also, with the small class sizes, I feel you have more opportunity to interact and learn from both your classmates and your facilitator)
3) condensed 18 month pre-clinical education, which leads to extensive clinical exposure (because of the condensed pre-clinical you get something like 30 months of clinical exposure. This is where I feel you really learn and practice to be a physician. It is one thing to read about a disease or procedure, and it is an entirely different thing to actually experience it and do it.)
4) Focus on rural and undeserved populations (which is the population I want to serve). It is the only school in Australia that allows you to do 12 months placement in a rural/regional setting.
5) Ability to have 6 months to come back to the states and rotate to get needed US clinical experience and letters (Although, you largely have to schedule and set these up yourself, but it is nice that you have the option).
6) Accessibility of staff, mentoring, facilities and opportunities... You've probably noticed how friendly Lyndal is and how hard she works. The Associate Dean of the Medical School apparently flies to the different clinical placements to check on the students. Lyndal has put me in contact with alumni and current students and they have all been eager to help and answer questions. It seems like everyone wants to actually get to know you and invest in you. If you're interested in research, there seems to be lots of research going on at Wollongong.

Bonus:
- The location.. I mean have you seen the pictures of Wollongong? :D
- I fancy joining the Royal Flying Doctors Service (RFDS). One of the Phase 3 rural placements is in Broken Hill, which happens to the base for the RFDS servicing the Southeastern section of Australia, so I look forward to gaining some exposure to their work.

Although Wollongong was not initially on my radar, I am glad I looked into as Wollongong seemed the best fit for me. Although I haven't started classes, and perhaps things can change, I do not regret placing my deposit and choosing Wollongong. I still wake up every morning and think about my choice, it puts a smile on my face. I really hope that feeling never leaves. I am happy that I have the opportunity to pursue my dream and passion.

What draws me to Wollongong may not appeal to everyone. In the end our medical education will really be based on what we make of it and the effort we put into it. I think for the majority of us, and students applying to medical school, we are talented and smart. No matter what school we choose, if we work hard, we can fulfill our dreams. No matter what school you look at or go to, you will find very smart and talented people doing amazing things. The opposite can also be said, there will also be those who either don't put in the effort or decide it really isn't really what they wanted/thought it would be; and either squeak by or drop/fail out.

I hope this gives you a better picture.

I am sorry to everyone for hijacking the thread. If you or anyone else has any other questions about my decision to attend or questions about Wollongong, please feel free to message me.

Kind Regards.

Reactions: 4 users

My stats:
Graduated with a 3.69 GPA. I am a non-traditional student. I did 2-years BS biochem, moved schools did 1 more semester and withdrew. Worked for 2-years and then decided to go back to school at another university. AMCAS has my cumulative GPA at 3.0 (shows you how poorly I did prior to going back to school and finding what I wanted to do)

Thanks! :) Good luck & I wish you the best

My stats:

Although price is something to consider, it was not the biggest factor that led to decide to attend Wollongong. What drew me to Wollongong was:
1) the small class size (84 total med students). I benefited from a small school my second go at college and I hope to continue the same feeling and success in medical school.
2) Case-Based Learning pre-clinical education (I feel that giving context to what you learn is the best way of learning, which CBL provides. Also, with the small class sizes, I feel you have more opportunity to interact and learn from both your classmates and your facilitator)
3) condensed 18 month pre-clinical education, which leads to extensive clinical exposure (because of the condensed pre-clinical you get something like 30 months of clinical exposure. This is where I feel you really learn and practice to be a physician. It is one thing to read about a disease or procedure, and it is an entirely different thing to actually experience it and do it.)
4) Focus on rural and undeserved populations (which is the population I want to serve). It is the only school in Australia that allows you to do 12 months placement in a rural/regional setting.
5) Ability to have 6 months to come back to the states and rotate to get needed US clinical experience and letters (Although, you largely have to schedule and set these up yourself, but it is nice that you have the option).
6) Accessibility of staff, mentoring, facilities and opportunities... You've probably noticed how friendly Lyndal is and how hard she works. The Associate Dean of the Medical School apparently flies to the different clinical placements to check on the students. Lyndal has put me in contact with alumni and current students and they have all been eager to help and answer questions. It seems like everyone wants to actually get to know you and invest in you. If you're interested in research, there seems to be lots of research going on at Wollongong.

Bonus:
- The location.. I mean have you seen the pictures of Wollongong? :D
- I fancy joining the Royal Flying Doctors Service (RFDS). One of the Phase 3 rural placements is in Broken Hill, which happens to the base for the RFDS servicing the Southeastern section of Australia, so I look forward to gaining some exposure to their work.

Although Wollongong was not initially on my radar, I am glad I looked into as Wollongong seemed the best fit for me. Although I haven't started classes, and perhaps things can change, I do not regret placing my deposit and choosing Wollongong. I still wake up every morning and think about my choice, it puts a smile on my face. I really hope that feeling never leaves. I am happy that I have the opportunity to pursue my dream and passion.

What draws me to Wollongong may not appeal to everyone. In the end our medical education will really be based on what we make of it and the effort we put into it. I think for the majority of us, and students applying to medical school, we are talented and smart. No matter what school we choose, if we work hard, we can fulfill our dreams. No matter what school you look at or go to, you will find very smart and talented people doing amazing things. The opposite can also be said, there will also be those who either don't put in the effort or decide it really isn't really what they wanted/thought it would be; and either squeak by or drop/fail out.

I hope this gives you a better picture.

I am sorry to everyone for hijacking the thread. If you or anyone else has any other questions about my decision to attend or questions about Wollongong, please feel free to message me.

Kind Regards.

Well thought out decision! Congratulations to you and best of luck!

Anyone know if Class of 2019 has a fb group where I can ask questions to students/research housing etc?

Hi all,

As of 12:55 PM Pacific time, I was accepted into UQ Ochsner for 2016! So excited and I definitely am going to accept. If anyone else is going to accept their offer, please send me a PM I would love to chat!

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks! :) Good luck & I wish you the best

Well thought out decision! Congratulations to you and best of luck!

Thanks!

Hi all,

As of 12:55 PM Pacific time, I was accepted into UQ Ochsner for 2016! So excited and I definitely am going to accept. If anyone else is going to accept their offer, please send me a PM I would love to chat!

Congrats on your admission. That is exciting news. I wish you the best in your studies and journey!

I received an offer of acceptance today :)

Reactions: 3 users