UQ-Ochsner 2018 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vinny15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why this thread hasn't been created already. Anyone applying for Feb. 2018 entry?

Members don't see this ad.

I've applied for Feb. 2018. I've got an interview scheduled for 4/21.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Got my interview on March 24th! Brisbane sounds amazing

Members don't see this ad :)
Could anyone in the program describe the typical M-F?

Im actually planning on applying for the 2019 cohort after I take the January 2018 MCAT

Last edited:
I have a 3.53 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA with a biomedical engineering degree. I'm currently working on a Master's degree and have a 3.91 GPA at the moment. My MCAT is a 504

From previous threads I think they mostly just care about the MCAT and whether or not you completely flop during the interview. Which I'm slightly worried could happen to me since our interview answers are expected to be roughly 6 minutes each, which is a long time!

Last edited:
6 minutes is not that much time. My state school allows 10 minutes for each question. 2 minutes to think, and then 8 to discuss. If there is a back and forth between you and the interviewers, it goes by pretty quickly.

Well the main reason I think it's long is because the interview prep video makes it seem like it's just you talking for 6 minutes straight with no back and forth as opposed to a more conversational interview. Although perhaps I am reading too much into it.

From mededpath's website: "If a question can be succinctly and powerfully answered in less than 6 minutes, there is no need to fill up the entire time allotted. The interviewer will move on to the next question once it is clear the applicant has fully addressed the question with multiple relevant examples."

On the waitlist for an interview in March or April. Anyone know how likely it is to get off the waitlist to interview before May?

I would say not to hold your breath. I got off of one waitlist, but it was for a later date than I was originally scheduled (I really wanted a Friday interview), and I think I may have gotten lucky and gotten a 1:1 switch with another applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergrad cGPA is 3.37 but my undergrad sGPA is super low (3.0). Graduating this year with a PhD in Neuroscience with a 3.84 grad GPA, so hopefully that will help a bit. MCAT score is 504.

Pretty surprised you were waitlisted. When did you apply?

Waitlisted meaning that all of the interview spots are filled up for the next two months, so I have to wait until the next interview dates are up or hope someone drops their interview. I had everything for my application in by Feb 1st, but I took the Jan 28th MCAT, so I only got my scores on Feb 28th and submitted them immediately. Just hoping to schedule an interview within the next few months so I don't have to worry about interviewing while defending!

Ph.D. in Neuro? If we all get in, you might have to teach us a thing or 2 haha. I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want to interview while defending. Have you considered interviewing after you defend? I know they accept students on a rolling basis, so it might (slightly) hurt your chances of being accepted, but it'd certainly help with the stress of the situation.

I just checked a minute ago on interviewbroker and there are still slots available for the April interviews. Are you really sure it's full?

Whaaaaaaat?! I'm on it right now, all dates are red and it says "Available Interview Dates: All interview dates are filled! Click on Waitlist Mode to add yourself to the waitlist." And I already added myself to the waitlist for all dates. Maybe it says the dates are available because you already have an interview? Otherwise I have no idea why I'm not seeing dates....

Also I definitely would be fine with interviewing after my defense, but my biggest worry is that if I push off the interview, schedule it later and then NOT get accepted, I would have to scramble to find a post-doc and figure out where I'm going next after this. But if there aren't interview dates until May, I don't really have a choice anyway lol

With a Ph.D. and a solid graduate GPA, I'd be incredibly surprised if you weren't accepted. That being said, medical schools have done nothing but surprise me up to this point...

Thanks Njp46, hoping for the best! Just worried about my undergrad GPA - definitely the worst part of my application and makes me cringe every time.

Some schools use a 32-hour rule. I'm not sure if this program is one of them, but basically what it means is that if you have 32 hours of post-bacc work, they'll use that GPA and not even consider your undergrad.

Njp46 do you also see on interviewbroker that there are still dates available for april? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because it still shows those dates are available for me or perhaps they let people who already have an interview scheduled to reschedule whenever they want.

It shows that 4/20 is full. I can't tell about 4/21 because it's highlighted blue for me. Are you in waitlist mode? Everything shows up as available in waitlist mode.

Weird. Both April dates are highlighted in yellow and white and says available interview dates: April 20, 21.

Oh well just make sure to sign up as soon as you can Neuro PhD, I recommend keeping email alerts on for your smartphone if you have one. My first time trying to sign up for the interview in February it filled up in under 3 hours after it opened.

Do you know how many people are interviewed on any given day?

That really is weird...I think they'll be opening up the May dates soon, so I'll be sure to watch my phone for that alert and sign up immediately. Thanks for the info!

I've never heard of that 32-hour rule - but that's AMAZING. Honestly, I'm a completely different person with different goals now (as I'm sure alot of people are after college), so I think that 32-hour rule is fantastic and should be implemented everywhere

That is a tough deal neuro, but I'm positive it will work out for you. Does anyone know when last years class became filled?

Hi everyone, I'm also applying to UQ Ochsner this year. I'll be submitting my application after my mcat results come in May, I'm taking the test on the 31st of this month! I asked mededpath and apparently they were still filling seats into September/October last year. I'm really hoping the same holds true this year and my May application won't be too late, since it's "first come first served" with rolling admissions.

I would bet 10:1 it's not filled yet. Your chances will come down to the expectations of admin (e.g., if you're borderline or just meet the minimum stats, then they may reject or put you on hold until they see the strength of the applicant pool over the next few months). As Ochsner (anecdotally at least) becomes more popular, while the class sizes have now stabilized, this should be expected as for anywhere that has rolling admissions.

No, I was an int'l student at UQ and graduated 9 years ago.

Can anyone in the program who chose UQ-O over a DO acceptance explain why they did so?

Not sure, but there are many in the class that did so. 2nd year here. I think some of the reasons people have done so is wanting an MD over a DO, wanting to experience living in Australia for 2 years, not liking the location of the DO schools they were accepted to (middle of nowhere etc), or just feeling this was a better program overall.

@Vinny15 typical M-F is different for everyone. I will try and explain as simply as possible. This year UQ allowed us to choose our own schedules which was a bit of a hot mess, but generally the only truly required things are CBL 2x a week and CC 1x a week plus mandatory one off workshops that we get assessed on for example: history taking, BP taking, etc in first year, 2nd year we had venipuncture and breaking bad news, etc. Class is not mandatory and all lectures are recorded so many people just watch remotely on their own time (I would say maybe after first semester 1/5th or 1/4th of the class continue to go to live lectures). There are numerous pracs throughout the semester (mostly anatomy and pathology and a few physiology and histology). These are not mandatory (there is a sign in sheet but I believe they only check whether you went if you are borderline failing and need a resit exam). Some people get a lot out of them and go. Some people get very little out of them and don't go.

You will find what works for you. Medical school is a lot of teaching yourself and finding resources that work best for your learning.

Reactions: 3 users
What pitman said.
It's only been in the last 2 years that they've had more applicants than spaces in this program.
So long as you meet the cut off minimum, apply early, and don't come off as a psychopath in the interview - I wouldn't worry too much.

At the end of the day, they need your money.
The average Aussie student who attends UQ pays 10k AUD per year. The traditional full fee paying international student pays up to 60k AUD (spending all 4 years in Australia). You guys pay 67k USD per year, roughly 88k AUD (depending on exchange rate). Everyone has identical courses the first two years, at the same location. No idea why there's the higher premium rate. Although, UQO does offer some MCAT resources and tutoring, I could be wrong, but I'm not sure the package is necessarily worth an extra 20 grand AUD a year. (to which, if any students give you crap about 'extra resources" just remind them that you're paying an extra 20 grand a year)

Not sure, but there are many in the class that did so. 2nd year here. I think some of the reasons people have done so is wanting an MD over a DO, wanting to experience living in Australia for 2 years, not liking the location of the DO schools they were accepted to (middle of nowhere etc), or just feeling this was a better program overall.

@Vinny15 typical M-F is different for everyone. I will try and explain as simply as possible. This year UQ allowed us to choose our own schedules which was a bit of a hot mess, but generally the only truly required things are CBL 2x a week and CC 1x a week plus mandatory one off workshops that we get assessed on for example: history taking, BP taking, etc in first year, 2nd year we had venipuncture and breaking bad news, etc. Class is not mandatory and all lectures are recorded so many people just watch remotely on their own time (I would say maybe after first semester 1/5th or 1/4th of the class continue to go to live lectures). There are numerous pracs throughout the semester (mostly anatomy and pathology and a few physiology and histology). These are not mandatory (there is a sign in sheet but I believe they only check whether you went if you are borderline failing and need a resit exam). Some people get a lot out of them and go. Some people get very little out of them and don't go.

You will find what works for you. Medical school is a lot of teaching yourself and finding resources that work best for your learning.

@mcat_taker did you think you learn a lot from the classes at UQ? How useful were the classes in terms of prepping for step 1?

@mcat_taker did you think you learn a lot from the classes at UQ? How useful were the classes in terms of prepping for step 1?

Lectures, like anywhere you go, are hit or miss. Most of the lecturers are full time doctors who come in to teach on a clinical topic. Step 1 studying is largely done by students independently because UQ does not teach to the depth that step 1 requires (as it is a school to train Australian doctors first and foremost). That being said, the basic framework is there in everything you learn as medicine is medicine anywhere in the world you just need to dive deeper to fill in the gaps for that particular exam. People manage it every single year so yes it is doable.

Someone must have wanted a May interview because I finally got confirmation that my interview is on 3/24 - wooo!!! How do I know if it's a skype interview or on-site interview?

Someone must have wanted a May interview because I finally got confirmation that my interview is on 3/24 - wooo!!! How do I know if it's a skype interview or on-site interview?

You gotta email them to let them know which one you want. Should be in one of the emails you got.

Been looking for this thread for a while! I interviewed in February. Now just waiting..

Been looking for this thread for a while! I interviewed in February. Now just waiting..

How do you feel you did?

Did you do the skype or in-person interview? Got any tips for being prepared for the interview questions?

How do you feel you did?

Did you do the skype or in-person interview? Got any tips for being prepared for the interview questions?

I interviewed in-person. I think I did well. I signed something saying I wouldn't really talk much about the interview questions but I will say it is much different than other med school interviews I have had. very structured, very one-sided conversation. go over the domains evaluated and think of several examples for each is what I'd recommend.

I interviewed in-person. I think I did well. I signed something saying I wouldn't really talk much about the interview questions but I will say it is much different than other med school interviews I have had. very structured, very one-sided conversation. go over the domains evaluated and think of several examples for each is what I'd recommend.

Thanks a lot! One last question if you don't mind please. How many interviewees do you think were there?

Obviously there are skype interviewees too but I was just wondering if it's gonna be a very large group and therefore a lot of waiting.

Thanks a lot! One last question if you don't mind please. How many interviewees do you think were there?

Obviously there are skype interviewees too but I was just wondering if it's gonna be a very large group and therefore a lot of waiting.

There was probably 15 of us or so? I dont know how it works with the Skype interview schedule

UQ does not teach to the test, nor do most US medical schools. The UQ lectures are also not to the depth that is required for the USMLE. However, UQ provides plenty of free time to study for step, which you don't get at many US schools. Ochsner also provides a lot of Step resources and multiple USMLE tutorials every week, which many US medical schools don't provide. You do need to be motivated to self study if you want to do well on Step 1, but that is true of anywhere you go. Overall UQ is a great school (with some admin issues) and Australia is a great place to live (especially with the current political disaster occurring in the US).

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what happened to the people who didn't match in previous cohorts? And perhaps why they didn't match?