UQ-Ochsner 2018 Cohort

Discussion in 'Australasia and Oceania' started by Vinny15, Mar 3, 2017.

1. LebronManning

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I said "they don't really accept people far below a 508." That's from talking to UQ-O students as well as one of their admission counselors. Though you are eligible to apply with a 502, their average is about a 507, and per the admission counselor "very, very few people will be considered below a 508."

You said this^. A simple check on the website proves that false. It's better to not give advice than give inaccurate information.

#551 LebronManning, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. theLastprocastination

Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    "
    Announcements
    Admissions requirements for 2019 have not yet been confirmed. The average scores for the 2018 cohort are a 507 MCAT and 3.4 GPA. The website will be updated and an email notification will be sent out once requirements are finalized for 2019 entry"

From mededpath's webpage for 2019 cohort.

4. mcat_taker

Medical Student
    "Students who pass their interview and meet the above requirements with MCAT scores of 502/28 or greater, will receive offers on a rolling basis."

Seems like the website is contradicting you then. You will receive an offer if you meet their MCAT requirements and pass the interview. But don't ask me, its not like I went through the process and go here or anything.

The average does not mean anything besides the fact that a lot of high achieving students attend who score well above their requirements for admission. It does not tell you how admissions decisions are made, which are still rolling based on their criteria until the class is full.

5. avhopeful

That seems to be off the 2018 cohort page.

Here's the link to the new 2019 cohort admissions page.
    mep

theLastprocastination likes this.
  6. theLastprocastination

Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    This is a part of an email I got earlier!

Attached Files:

7. Ishboo

Why would someone with 3.4/507 even consider an offshore option?

AirBlizzard and Mr Giggles like this.
  8. theLastprocastination

Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    Some people actually rank UQO over US DO schools

DezMed likes this.
  9. avhopeful

That's exactly what I was thinking. I actually sent in my app a few weeks ago and was just told confirmation of receipt, but that my MCAT did not meet their requirement. My MCAT is a 503, so I suppose the MCAT minimum for the 2019 cohort will be at least 504.

Also, I think it's time to make a new thread for the 2019 cohort.

Mr Giggles likes this.
  10. pitman

pitman Grasshopper

That's what I did -- 3.37 and a 32S in the old MCAT (whatever that translates to). My attitude was why would I want to stay in the US for a mediocre med school, not being able to get into, say, Stanford on my own merit, when there's a whole world out there and endless opportunities for anyone motivated enough to create and take advantage of them?

I found a few people in every cohort at UQ with the same attitude. That was last decade, and things may have changed, but that would be a shame -- life IS the adventure, not a singular goal.

DezMed and Mr Giggles like this.
  11. avhopeful

Sure, it's exciting and definitely an adventure. That was the factor that enticed me to apply. However, a major deciding factor should be your prospects, which who actually knows how they are going to be affected by the upcoming GME merger. It probably will negatively affect IMGs including Ochsner grads, but I'm sure that those who put in the time and effort at UQ-O will end up matching just fine.

12. avhopeful

13. mcat_taker

Medical Student
    Thats correct. I know many students here who turned down DO schools to attend UQ-O

14. mcat_taker

Medical Student
    Ah thanks for showing me the updated page. Looks like they haven't added minimum MCAT scores yet needed to apply for 2019.

15. Rhandhali

Rhandhali UQ-Ochsner Alumnus

Resident [Any Field]
    As someone who came out of the program and did very well, comparatively, that is not something I would ever have considered doing. No reason at all to put UQ-O over any US-based program unless you're talking one of the new for-profit DOs in which case I would still think long and hard about it. I'd have dropped UQ-O in a heartbeat if I'd gotten a spot stateside.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. ER747

Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone,

I just have a quick question on behalf of a friend who does not have an SDN account.

She recently applied to the UQ-O program and just today received an email which asked her to schedule an interview with an interview broker. She attempted to schedule an interview 2 hours after she received the email and all of the dates were full. She was prompted to put herself on the waitlist for a preferred date. How should she proceed? Anyone been through this before?

18. sh5678

Pre-Medical
    So for all those that interviewed, did anyone get in? If so, how long after the interview, were you notified of your acceptance or rejection?

19. pre med 2014

pre med 2014 SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    DO's can't practice medicine abroad, which could be a downside if you are the adventure oriented type

20. mcat_taker

Medical Student
    This is not true. US trained DO's have full practice rights in many many countries, perhaps not all but dozens of them around the world, at least 45 countries last time I checked maybe more.

21. ak24

so for anyone that started this past year - how do you like your first year so far?

22. medicinehopeful8

Pre-Medical
    delete post

#570 medicinehopeful8, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018