UQ-Ochsner 2021 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringMD_33

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that past years had threads so I wanted to create one for everyone interested in attending Ochsner in 2021. Feel free to post any questions & comments and hopefully we can all help each other out!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Will be a first year at UQ-O in a month. Good luck to everyone applying for the 2021 cohort!

Reactions: 3 users
Will be a first year at UQ-O in a month. Good luck to everyone applying for the 2021 cohort!
Congratulations, feel free to tell us how it goes! And thank you for the luck, I will be applying in a few months!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know how they calculate the GPA for the application? I transferred a few courses from another college, which are indicated on my transcript but are not included in the GPA. Does anyone know how they calculate transfer coursework or repeated classes?

Does anybody know how they calculate the GPA for the application? I transferred a few courses from another college, which are indicated on my transcript but are not included in the GPA. Does anyone know how they calculate transfer coursework or repeated classes?
I’m not too sure on exactly how it works but I know they weigh your most recent years heavier than your previous years. Hopefully when more people see this thread they can explain a little more! I just know overall your GPA must be a B average. I feel like transfer coursework wouldn’t be looked at negatively and maybe they average in the repeat courses but that is just a guess!

Hi everyone! I sent in an application in December for the 2021 cohort--does anyone know when they start sending out interview invites?

Invites are expected to go out late Feb early March.

Hi Everyone! Did anyone submit anything else on the application besides transcript and MCAT? The application process seems so different from US schools and I am a little thrown off

After transcript and MCAT are recieved, you'll get an email to sign and submit a form allowing UQ to share your info with their admissions dept or something.

The online app takes like 20 mins to fill out out, double check, upload and submit.

Invites are expected to go out late Feb early March.
Can I ask who you spoke to about this, because when I asked around december they told me that invites would go out around late jan early feb, but I don't think they have yet.

Hi Everyone! Did anyone submit anything else on the application besides transcript and MCAT? The application process seems so different from US schools and I am a little thrown off
No! They don't take anything besides that! No resume, rec letters or anything

Reactions: 1 users
Can I ask who you spoke to about this, because when I asked around december they told me that invites would go out around late jan early feb, but I don't think they have yet.
It was mentioned in the second webinar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone! So I recently heard about this program through my Aussie friend and i want to apply but I'm realizing interviews are already beginning to go out for 2021 cycle--it's obvious now given the different academic year in aus but i'm freaking out at how it's been open since novemeber! If it's anything like the typical US MD programs (which I'm gearing up to apply to this June) where applying late is a death sentence, is it too late for me to submit an app right now? I get my Mcat score in 5 days but have pretty much everything else.

Hi Everyone! So I recently heard about this program through my Aussie friend and i want to apply but I'm realizing interviews are already beginning to go out for 2021 cycle--it's obvious now given the different academic year in aus but i'm freaking out at how it's been open since novemeber! If it's anything like the typical US MD programs (which I'm gearing up to apply to this June) where applying late is a death sentence, is it too late for me to submit an app right now? I get my Mcat score in 5 days but have pretty much everything else.
In the webinar they said they're not inundated with apps like US schools, so I think you should submit and just wait.

Any of you guys worried about the STEP becoming P/F in 2022? I have heard in the past that this school typically does very well on STEP 1, hence such good matches, but now I am curious what will happen

Any of you guys worried about the STEP becoming P/F in 2022? I have heard in the past that this school typically does very well on STEP 1, hence such good matches, but now I am curious what will happen

Personally, I’m not worried at all. I think it’s all based on the individual. I have also been hearing that it may level the playing field. There’s some consensus that graduating from a prestigious school and having high scores doesn’t always translate to being a good clinician. That may be some of the reasoning behind the change.

W
Personally, I’m not worried at all. I think it’s all based on the individual. I have also been hearing that it may level the playing field. There’s some consensus that graduating from a prestigious school and having high scores doesn’t always translate to being a good clinician. That may be some of the reasoning behind the change.
Well from what I understand they did it because they wanted less stress on students. From what I see, I don't think that's what it did since now the only measure residencies have to base us of is step 2ck. I'm in favor of the move in that I don't think step 1 has done a good job indicating how you would do in pgy1, but tbh it's the only objective measure. If anything, this will make residencies look more at the school, research, step 2 scores, and volunteering. This is the consensus I've been getting from people in med school (including directors)

Reactions: 2 users
From this paper: Initial Match Rates of an Innovative International Partnership: The Ochsner Clinical School Experience

"The current mean score for the OCS cohort is 227, on par with the 2014 overall USMLE Step 1 mean score of 229."

Granted percentages of students passing the steps have gone up recently.

From: University of Queensland School of Medicine Ochsner Clinical School

UQ Ochsners overall first time USMLE Step 1 Pass Rate is 91% and 98% for the class of 2015. UQ Ochsners overall first time USMLE Step 2 Pass Rate is 96% and 100% for the class of 2015.

I can't find any more disclosed step metrics. Still, 2 subtracted from 100% is better than from an overall 229 Step 1 average.

Also from the same pubmed article:
"At the end of their third year, students have the opportunity to select the Optional Elective. The Optional Elective is a prime opportunity to work closely with and obtain a letter of recommendation from a faculty member at another institution or at Ochsner. Mentorship programs pair students with both a faculty member and a resident to provide career and academic advice. Formal seminars and workshops are held to inform students about successful match strategies, writing a CV and personal statement, obtaining letters of recommendation, and preparing for interviews. Mock interviews are held with faculty members who offer feedback on how students can hone their interviewing skills."

I'd be more concerned about future carib students in schools that possibly face not having enough rotation slots for students who can score passing vs a cut-off score.

But back on topic, there has been an unhealthy emphasis on Step 1 let alone test-taking performance in medicine to warrant this change in Step 1 test taking. In last decade, except for 2016, the average score has experienced "score creep." Imagine a 230 and 240 average. Whom does it truly aid? Patients or program directors? PDs are inundated with apps already and will more than likely rely on Step 2 scores.

Can this change benefit UQ-O students? I think it certainly can. UQ-O students will learn in complaint- (or was it symptom-based?) approach in Australia along with ealy patient engagement starting in pre-clinical years. This can translate to doing well on Step 2 CK which will still be numerically scored.

I think it's amusing how 110 years ago Flexners Report practically culled 1/3 of schools with states enacting licensing laws, and now we some clamor that 'mere' licensure (P/F) will be insufficient.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

From this paper: Initial Match Rates of an Innovative International Partnership: The Ochsner Clinical School Experience

"The current mean score for the OCS cohort is 227, on par with the 2014 overall USMLE Step 1 mean score of 229."

Granted percentages of students passing the steps have gone up recently.

From: University of Queensland School of Medicine Ochsner Clinical School

UQ Ochsners overall first time USMLE Step 1 Pass Rate is 91% and 98% for the class of 2015. UQ Ochsners overall first time USMLE Step 2 Pass Rate is 96% and 100% for the class of 2015.

I can't find any more disclosed step metrics. Still, 2 subtracted from 100% is better than from an overall 229 Step 1 average.

Also from the same pubmed article:
"At the end of their third year, students have the opportunity to select the Optional Elective. The Optional Elective is a prime opportunity to work closely with and obtain a letter of recommendation from a faculty member at another institution or at Ochsner. Mentorship programs pair students with both a faculty member and a resident to provide career and academic advice. Formal seminars and workshops are held to inform students about successful match strategies, writing a CV and personal statement, obtaining letters of recommendation, and preparing for interviews. Mock interviews are held with faculty members who offer feedback on how students can hone their interviewing skills."

I'd be more concerned about future carib students in schools that possibly face not having enough rotation slots for students who can score passing vs a cut-off score.

But back on topic, there has been an unhealthy emphasis on Step 1 let alone test-taking performance in medicine to warrant this change in Step 1 test taking. In last decade, except for 2016, the average score has experienced "score creep." Imagine a 230 and 240 average. Whom does it truly aid? Patients or program directors? PDs are inundated with apps already and will more than likely rely on Step 2 scores.

Can this change benefit UQ-O students? I think it certainly can. UQ-O students will learn in complaint- (or was it symptom-based?) approach in Australia along with ealy patient engagement starting in pre-clinical years. This can translate to doing well on Step 2 CK which will still be numerically scored.

I think it's amusing how 110 years ago Flexners Report practically culled 1/3 of schools with states enacting licensing laws, and now we some clamor that 'mere' licensure (P/F) will be insufficient.

This is very well informed and helped me a lot! I suppose you're right about the score creep. Im not really in favor of step 1. I guess I'm just curious to see how this would affect certain schools. How do you think this would affect DO schools? I suppose this school would be fine anyway since it has well established connections.

This is very well informed and helped me a lot! I suppose you're right about the score creep. Im not really in favor of step 1. I guess I'm just curious to see how this would affect certain schools. How do you think this would affect DO schools? I suppose this school would be fine anyway since it has well established connections.

Thanks, it gave me something to do on the commute to work.

My predictions: lecture attendance will go up and matriculants MCAT scores will plateau for the next couple of years.

I know DO students have the COMLEX which are numerically scored so that may be an ace up their sleeve but that depends on how cool residency programs are with DO applicants. With the merger and P/F change, I think it's something we all just have to wait and see. In the mean time, maybe the country's medical establishment should pursue something worthwhile like hiring more medical administrators, keeping hospital prices super secretive and stand idly by as many states slash Medicaid funding and lower its income eligibility requirements.

/s where appropriate

yeah I'm not worried about the P/F update given the school's credibility/connections and I agree that it's an individual process anyway.
Also I just realized if this school calendar starts in feb of 2021 should I actually wait to apply for the 2022 cycle? Because If i'm applying for the AMCAS ones in june I could still be hearing back from schools in feb?

yeah I'm not worried about the P/F update given the school's credibility/connections and I agree that it's an individual process anyway.
Also I just realized if this school calendar starts in feb of 2021 should I actually wait to apply for the 2022 cycle? Because If i'm applying for the AMCAS ones in june I could still be hearing back from schools in feb?
Hmm, so if you apply this june and you are a competitive applicant meaning aroun 509 MCAT 3.7 gpa, you might get acceptences back before January . Most of my friends this cycle got accepted in February or later (depends on if you're waitlist or if you're interviewed late in the cycle) which is when you'd start med school for UQ. So it really comes down to you. I know some people that applied for Ochsner and last minute left to go to a us md school after their application in June and acceptance in January. I think the safest bet would be to wait a year though, but I'm biased because I already applied for this last cycle and have been fortunate enough to get a DO acceptance and have decided I'd still rather explore my options. Just my +1

Has anyones application status changed on the portal but you haven't received an email?

Has anyones application status changed on the portal but you haven't received an email?
which portal are you referring too? I don't think I ever received access to a portal, they have only been communicating with me via email

The portal in which you submit the application
The application portal doesn't have a log in option. After submitting the documents, I got an email confirming my documents were received.

The application portal doesn't have a log in option. After submitting the documents, I got an email confirming my documents were received.

+1

I think that's for domestic and international applicants. The UQ-Ochsner cohort app page is this one: How to apply

I understand that. You can still log in and check the status of your application.
It requires an activation code but I don't recall receiving an email with a code. Did you apply to UQO and receive a code?

I searched through my emails and did not find an activation code. In Activate your account - Online Application page, my email was "unknown" even though I have received email confirmation that my app has been received and is being reviewed.

I don't think there's a point in my starting a new application after having submitted the prior one. Has Shalon been corresponding with you and have you received any updates in that portal?

I searched through my emails and did not find an activation code. In Activate your account - Online Application page, my email was "unknown" even though I have received email confirmation that my app has been received and is being reviewed.

I don't think there's a point in my starting a new application after having submitted the prior one. Has Shalon been corresponding with you and have you received any updates in that portal?
Yeah I spoke with Shalon and she said everything checked out on my application and the next step would be hearing about an interview. I also called and spoke to a representative in the office. That’s strange why mine is different.

Yeah I spoke with Shalon and she said everything checked out on my application and the next step would be hearing about an interview. I also called and spoke to a representative in the office. That’s strange why mine is different.
That's strange but it's cool that you have portal to log in to. Please keep up posted if you see any status updates. In the mean time I'm taking solace in Dr Amedee's words:

That's strange but it's cool that you have portal to log in to. Please keep up posted if you see any status updates. In the mean time I'm taking solace in Dr Amedee's words:

I called last night because I was worried after hearing that your accounts were different. The representative was very reassuring and said invites are due to go out either by the end of next week or the first week of March and interviews will begin at the end of March.

I called last night because I was worried after hearing that your accounts were different. The representative was very reassuring and said invites are due to go out either by the end of next week or the first week of March and interviews will begin at the end of March.
Did they tell you if there would be multiple interview dates in march or only a single date?

Guys am I just hallucinating or was there a post that was promptly deleted?

I remember reading it and saying for students to think carefully about attending UQ due to a 90% attendance policy on events across the city, implying that student finger paint replaces anatomy lab, referring to faculty by FOM and describing them as being different from American faculty by organizing discussion of medical humanities over measuring blood pressure?

Does anyone remember such a post or did I have the most elaborate hallucination ever?

I remember reading it and saying for students to think carefully about attending UQ due to a 90% attendance policy on events across the city, implying that student finger paint replaces anatomy lab, referring to faculty by FOM and describing them as being different from American faculty by organizing discussion of medical humanities over measuring blood pressure?

Does anyone remember such a post or did I have the most elaborate hallucination ever?
If that was a thing. I certainly did not see it. Maybe it was in a past years SDN?

Probably hallucinating but student finger painting sounds awesome

• Haha
Got an interview invite! Hope y'all get 'em too.

Interview invite just now, lets goooooo

Woo got an II! See yall on the 26th.

Last edited:
Im not applying this cycle, but following closely to see the general trends of admission in this program. Anyone willing to share stats and thier experiences during the whole process is greatly appreciated! Good luck to all applying this cycle!

Im not applying this cycle, but following closely to see the general trends of admission in this program. Anyone willing to share stats and thier experiences during the whole process is greatly appreciated! Good luck to all applying this cycle!
I wrote some of my experience and info in last year's thread. Feel free to PM for deets.

Submitted on January 21st but haven't received II. Sad days ☹️

Also got an interview invite earlier today. Still deciding if i will take it or not, but in case it helps anyone, I submitted my app on 12/12/19 and then got an email on 1/5 to send in an additional form (not sure if that's when the app was actually complete or not).

Submitted on January 21st but haven't received II. Sad days ☹
I submitted oct 15th and also sent the form 1/5 but haven't received an invite yet :( i thought that everyone who meet the minimums would get an interview so idk why everyone didn't get an interview at the same time