UQ-Ochsner 2021 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it's likely because of that update to the individual exemption guidelines. If Queensland can get an international student arrivals plan together, I imagine there's a chance we could arrive earlier than year 2, although I could also see universities not wanting to use ISAP spots on us if we'll be able to take advantage of individual exemptions. I think the question is whether the required Observership placements "provide medical services to the Australian public."

I do know that some students have deferred, but I don't know how many.
tbh hoping we'll get to do semester 2 full online then come over during the summer holidays

just more convenient imo

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
tbh hoping we'll get to do semester 2 full online then come over during the summer holidays

just more convenient imo
I am 100% with you on this. I've been betting on being stuck overseas for a while and kinda came around to it. Hoping Delta strain rattles their cage and makes ozzies get fully vaccinated by say like april and then we can all go over in summer without these expensive, unreliable flights and such

I am 100% with you on this. I've been betting on being stuck overseas for a while and kinda came around to it. Hoping Delta strain rattles their cage and makes ozzies get fully vaccinated by say like april and then we can all go over in summer without these expensive, unreliable flights and such
If it takes that long, we're probably looking at deferring a year :/ I'm hoping we can get in around the end of this year, hopefully the new exemption criteria will allow for that. And it's possible that a charter flight could get around the expense of the flights right now, but who knows. Honestly I'd be willing to pay the extra for a flight to avoid a deferral.

But yeah definitely agree! For first year at least, I've been actually enjoying online school. It would be cool to be in Brisbane but it's also been nice to have my partner/family around and only have to be away from them for one year rather than two (and not have to take out extra loans for rent etc).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who's interested, they just hosted a webinar with a few major changes.
  • If we're unable to get to Australia in time for year 2, we'll be able to do year 2 online until March 31 2022
    • Right now they're planning to have clinical intensive and observership in January and throughout the year
  • The international student arrivals plan is unlikely to work out this year, but will probably be in place around January 2022
  • The previously approved Year 2 exemption should work for us assuming the Australian government doesn't make any changes
    • They're working on getting grades finalized earlier than Dec 1 so that we can get these exemptions going sooner, hopefully giving us a bit more time
    • The school will work directly with the government to get this approved for everyone, so we don't need to do anything
So we're unlikely to be able to get in this year before exams like they wanted, but it's highly likely we're going to be able to get in late December/early next year either via the ISAP or exemption.

I'm personally very happy with this, but I know there are others who really want the Australian experience or are stuck in less than ideal living situations right now. It is good to have at least some certainty about things, we can feel relatively confident the Australian government won't walk back their exemption criteria without a very good reason.

If it takes that long, we're probably looking at deferring a year :/ I'm hoping we can get in around the end of this year, hopefully the new exemption criteria will allow for that. And it's possible that a charter flight could get around the expense of the flights right now, but who knows. Honestly I'd be willing to pay the extra for a flight to avoid a deferral.

But yeah definitely agree! For first year at least, I've been actually enjoying online school. It would be cool to be in Brisbane but it's also been nice to have my partner/family around and only have to be away from them for one year rather than two (and not have to take out extra loans for rent etc).
The exemption criteria will allow for entry but our universities must provide a hospital placement document. Let's get it.

The exemption criteria will allow for entry but our universities must provide a hospital placement document. Let's get it.
I don't know about your school, UQ told us that Queensland is requesting they submit a bulk exemption on behalf of their students, and they'll handle the paperwork including the evidence of clinical placement. I'd really encourage you to see if that might be an option for your school as well!

With the current covid situation so far, how has it effect the clinical education / hospital practice experience for you guys at UQ in Brisbane. Also, how has UQ deal with small group so far and has covid effect the quality of small group ? Last is how is the UQ support for you guys toward USMLE with the whole covid? Has that been affected a lot and does the USMLE class UQ provide actually help or everyone kinda ignore it and study for themselves.

Thank you for answer my questions guys, I'm in the upcoming 2022 class and so far UQ-O has been pretty quiet about the situation. UQ haven't even told us if we gonna have to do online classes for next year, etc , but I do really hope the borders be open by the end of the year .

Wow why is UQ making you stay so late? The semester should end in the first couple weeks of November right?

Yeah I completely understand the situation the school is in, the question of international students is much bigger than just us. It does seem like Delta ironically might be the catalyst for things to move forward, especially as vaccinations start to ramp up, and I don't think the zero covid strategy is going to work anymore although I guess we'll see what happens over the next few months.

Thank you for posting here btw :) I think my class has felt weirdly disconnected from the class above just because we're not there in person so it's great to hear from you!

@BLTCOOL hopefully Jericho can answer some of these questions, I can't speak to clinical placements, the quality of online vs in person CBL, and the USMLE prep class for example. I do think that the UQ curriculum prepares you reasonably well for board exams, I've only noticed a couple topics occasionally missing when I'm going through the Boards and Beyond videos for a given module but things line up pretty well. I do think it's likely you'll be starting online, the international student arrival plan has been developed but probably won't be implemented until late December/early January. But they've assured us that medical students will be brought in first, so if they can get it done in December it's possible you'll be able to start in person! But if you do start online, you'll probably be able to arrive not too long after.

Last edited:
That sounds like a disaster even in a normal year! So if you were to head back after exams and prep for Step 1 in December, you could end up in a situation where you have to return to Australia on pretty short notice and potentially reschedule Step 1? That sounds pretty bad. Have you already scheduled Step 1? Is there any way to take it in January pre-orientation? I'm sorry, that sounds like a pretty crappy situation for you guys :/

Last edited:
That makes sense. When I was looking at the schedule and trying to plan the next few years, I was planning to come back to the US ASAP after classes end so I could spend a couple months with my family, don't know if that's a good idea though...

I hope they find a solution for you. Maybe they can find a way to let you know if you have to take a supplemental ASAP? But I know from experience UQ admin is really not interested in problem-solving with students. Hopefully Ochsner admin can be helpful, at least they will be more likely to give you a recommendation on what to do if you ask. That border closures argument makes no sense, it's not like the status of the borders has changed XD They should really allow you guys to take the supplemental via ProctorU, that would be such an easy solution to the problem.

Last edited:
Given the new information from the last townhall, it sounds like we ~should~ be able to obtain a travel exemption (through the school's bulk exemption request once we are considered 2nd year students on Dec 1st).

When do you think is the earliest we will be able to go over to Aus if that is the case?
When do you think is the latest we can stay offshore (ie, in the US) once we are granted a bulk travel exemption?

Out of curiosity (not a current student), did the townhall have any indication on if there’d be exemptions for the incoming first year students or is it for second years only?

Hogancat I think it depends on a couple of things. If they can push back the Dec 1 and the government approves exemption requests quickly, we could be over there by early December at the earliest. If not, and if the government doesn't move fast, we could be over there in mid to late January. I think availability of viable flights will also be a potential issue affecting when we can get over there. It's still too early to say, and I know it makes planning pretty difficult :/

Australiaquestions someone asked that question on the most recent UQ Ochsner prospective students webinar. The exemption does not currently apply to first year medical students, but UQ is hopeful international student arrival plans will be in place near the start of the year or early in the semester depending on what vaccination rates look like over the next few months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, wanted to get some opinions about matching.

I'm 99% sure I want to do IM (or some IM fellowship) in the future and I heard this isn't tough to match into for IMGs in general, but ofc everyone changes their mind in med school — I noticed that UQ has very few matches for some particular specialties, e.g. neurosurgery (only two in the history of the school). Does anyone know if this is simply because most UQ students (like most US students) don't want to pursue neurosurgery, or if it's because it's extremely tough to match into neurosurg as an IMG? Most US MD schools I've looked at don't have a ton of neurosurg matches either, though usually at least 1 per year.

I'm curious because at the moment I have a couple US MD/PhD interviews, but UQ is really attractive to me due to family/personal reasons. Given that UQ is like a T50 worldwide med school (basically like T30 US), does this pull a lot of weight with very competitive specialties? Will STEP 1 being P/F screw over match rates for ultracompetitive specialties, or will it just shift more of the attention over to STEP 2 CK?

Thanks in advance everyone :)

Hey all, wanted to get some opinions about matching.

I'm 99% sure I want to do IM (or some IM fellowship) in the future and I heard this isn't tough to match into for IMGs in general, but ofc everyone changes their mind in med school — I noticed that UQ has very few matches for some particular specialties, e.g. neurosurgery (only two in the history of the school). Does anyone know if this is simply because most UQ students (like most US students) don't want to pursue neurosurgery, or if it's because it's extremely tough to match into neurosurg as an IMG? Most US MD schools I've looked at don't have a ton of neurosurg matches either, though usually at least 1 per year.

I'm curious because at the moment I have a couple US MD/PhD interviews, but UQ is really attractive to me due to family/personal reasons. Given that UQ is like a T50 worldwide med school (basically like T30 US), does this pull a lot of weight with very competitive specialties? Will STEP 1 being P/F screw over match rates for ultracompetitive specialties, or will it just shift more of the attention over to STEP 2 CK?

Thanks in advance everyone :)

T50 worldwide means nothing for US residency. Unfortunately an IMG is an IMG. I know people in residency that went to top med schools in England like Kings College, Oxford etc and they all complain about the same thing that their school basically means nothing in how US residency programs evaluate them.

Most people don't go into neurosurgery period. Competitive specialties like this are highly self selective in that there is a small percentage of people interested so the data is hard to extrapolate. I.e. 1 person applying for neurosurgery with 1 match at UQO is still a 100% match rate. But yes generally speaking it is harder to match competitive specialties as an IMG although not impossible. A USMD with failed steps or low steps will get the benefit of the doubt much more so than an IMG who might be SOL with a red flag like that.

You are right that people will generally change their mind quite a bit in med school regarding specialties. That is why it is best to choose a school that will give you the most options from the get go. If you want to give yourself every opportunity to match competitive then USMD/PhD interviews will give you a higher "floor". Although that being said everyone makes personal choices based on what they specifically want out of school etc and UQO still provides an opportunity to match highly competitively for the right applicant, it'll just require more effort on your part and will not be as much of a sure thing. You'll need to evaluate the individual schools you end up accepted at and decide what you want and will it meet your goals and weigh everything up.

No one knows how step 1 pass fail will affect the match. We can only assume that step 2 ck will have the greater focus now since it is scored. That being said step 1 scores were a great equalizer between IMG and USMD so without that additional data point you can assume that it can only hurt IMGs in general.

Hii somewhat unrelated is there any guiding document for filling out the VISA document? I'm unsure what to say here to this question:
-----

All student visa applicants are required to provide information in support of their application to demonstrate that they meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant criteria.

Give details to support the applicant's ability to meet the criteria and ensure supporting documents are attached:

T50 worldwide means nothing for US residency. Unfortunately an IMG is an IMG. I know people in residency that went to top med schools in England like Kings College, Oxford etc and they all complain about the same thing that their school basically means nothing in how US residency programs evaluate them.

Most people don't go into neurosurgery period. Competitive specialties like this are highly self selective in that there is a small percentage of people interested so the data is hard to extrapolate. I.e. 1 person applying for neurosurgery with 1 match at UQO is still a 100% match rate. But yes generally speaking it is harder to match competitive specialties as an IMG although not impossible. A USMD with failed steps or low steps will get the benefit of the doubt much more so than an IMG who might be SOL with a red flag like that.

You are right that people will generally change their mind quite a bit in med school regarding specialties. That is why it is best to choose a school that will give you the most options from the get go. If you want to give yourself every opportunity to match competitive then USMD/PhD interviews will give you a higher "floor". Although that being said everyone makes personal choices based on what they specifically want out of school etc and UQO still provides an opportunity to match highly competitively for the right applicant, it'll just require more effort on your part and will not be as much of a sure thing. You'll need to evaluate the individual schools you end up accepted at and decide what you want and will it meet your goals and weigh everything up.

No one knows how step 1 pass fail will affect the match. We can only assume that step 2 ck will have the greater focus now since it is scored. That being said step 1 scores were a great equalizer between IMG and USMD so without that additional data point you can assume that it can only hurt IMGs in general.
Thank you for the comprehensive reply — really sad to hear that about STEP 1, I hope UQ students who take it P/F will be able to match well still!

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has been waitlisted for UQ 2022? I received an email today and I am a bit disheartened tbh. Anyone is on the same boat?

Last edited:
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has been waitlisted for UQ 2022? I received an email today and I am a bit disheartened tbh. Anyone is on the same boat?
I'm sorry about this :( I haven't heard back yet — were you in the August interview cohort?

If it's any consolation, I heard waitlist movement is really really good for this school and there's a good chance you'll get off it!

Hey i am not the Ochsner cohort, but non-Ochsner Round 2 applicant (august interviews). I got waitlisted :/ ... apparently, at least for the non-Ochsner pool, everyone who received offer from Round 2 got waitlisted. Im bummed out too, and really, reallllllyyyyy hoping waitlist moves soon. I sincerely wish you the best :) <3

Hey i am not the Ochsner cohort, but non-Ochsner Round 2 applicant (august interviews). I got waitlisted :/ ... apparently, at least for the non-Ochsner pool, everyone who received offer from Round 2 got waitlisted. Im bummed out too, and really, reallllllyyyyy hoping waitlist moves soon. I sincerely wish you the best :) <3
Ah I see, I am in the Ochsner cohort and had the august interview but haven't heard back yet :/ I can't speak for non-Ochsner waitlist movement but I am wishing you the best of luck!

• Care
Ah I see, I am in the Ochsner cohort and had the august interview but haven't heard back yet :/ I can't speak for non-Ochsner waitlist movement but I am wishing you the best of luck!
thank you so much! i wish u all the very best too! i hope you hear back good news soon :)

• Care

On the same boat - quite disappointed myself. Hoping there will be movement like previous years but from my understanding things are different this year and we shouldn’t expect too much change

On the same boat - quite disappointed myself. Hoping there will be movement like previous years but from my understanding things are different this year and we shouldn’t expect too much change
Are you talking about the Ochsner cohort? If so, there is usually huge movement — why do you think things will be different this year?

Are you talking about the Ochsner cohort? If so, there is usually huge movement — why do you think things will be different this year?
In this thread they're discussing UQ international admissions, I don't think Ochsner has wait listed anyone yet. For whatever reason, UQ has had a really tough time managing their international admissions over the past few years. Two years ago they made a change and underestimated the number of interviews they had to give out and ended up with a class size that was way too low. Last year it seemed like they fixed things, but this year it looks like they've gone too far the other direction and filled up their class in the first round of interviews (out of four) as everyone who interviewed in the second round seems to have been wait listed.

Keep in mind Ochsner admissions process is managed primarily by Ochsner admin and not by UQ, and the UQ international admissions process is completely separate from the Ochsner admissions process.

In this thread they're discussing UQ international admissions, I don't think Ochsner has wait listed anyone yet. For whatever reason, UQ has had a really tough time managing their international admissions over the past few years. Two years ago they made a change and underestimated the number of interviews they had to give out and ended up with a class size that was way too low. Last year it seemed like they fixed things, but this year it looks like they've gone too far the other direction and filled up their class in the first round of interviews (out of four) as everyone who interviewed in the second round seems to have been wait listed.

Keep in mind Ochsner admissions process is managed primarily by Ochsner admin and not by UQ, and the UQ international admissions process is completely separate from the Ochsner admissions process.
Gotcha, thanks for the info!

Sorry, I was talking about the UQ international admission!

Thank you for the info! Yeah, it seems really strange. I know UQ was not full going into October last year, but this year seems to be full pretty much at the start of August. In one of the pre interview briefings a UQ rep mentioned there is usually a lot of movement and not to worry about seats for round 2, but then Oztrekk said something different. Not knowing what to expect is the worst part haha

There is still time for you to avoid this mistake. If you instead go to a DO, or even a Caribbean med school, you’ll be in classes with only around 100 students, taught by full professors. That’s much better teaching than what you’ll get at UQ from the lecturers/“assistant professors.” That‘s just the title UQ hands out to any out-of-work MD who is willing to sign up to coordinate a course. Additionally, there are 500 students in each class at this money-mill.

There is still time for you to avoid this mistake. If you instead go to a DO, or even a Caribbean med school, you’ll be in classes with only around 100 students, taught by full professors. That’s much better teaching than what you’ll get at UQ from the lecturers/“assistant professors.” That‘s just the title UQ hands out to any out-of-work MD who is willing to sign up to coordinate a course. Additionally, there are 500 students in each class at this money-mill.
DO I think is a good alternative option. Caribbean is not even close. Even putting attrition aside, the match list is far superior for UQ-Ochsner. Ross University takes in 900 students every year. And anyone who wants to hear about the quality of their teaching you can head over to the Caribbean forum, it ranges from OK to a complete disaster but the problem is everything has required attendance, at UQ very little is required.

Preclinical years are crappy at a lot of US schools, especially at some DO schools that lean a bit too hard into the OMM stuff. I've been very happy with UQ so far, but you're entitled to your opinion and what works for some people won't work for others. But the truth is you can teach yourself what you need to know just using boards resources, it might not be enough to get you top grades in classes but you'll definitely pass. If you don't like the lectures, just watch boards and beyond.

Isn't most of this just straight up false though? Not a student there, but I heard you take your preclinical years alongside the Australian UQ students, and UQ is like a T5 med school in Australia, so the quality of education must be pretty good right? UQ trained a few Nobel laureates, developed the HPV vaccine, the first portable MRI machine, etc. etc., so I feel like it's not really fair to say that you're not getting high-quality education at a really nice institution. Also the stat average of the incoming classes at UQ vs Caribb schools isn't comparable, with most Carib schools being around less than 3.0/498, and UQ being 3.4/508 (comparable to US DO schools).

Also the Ochsner cohort is like 90 people so MS3/4 your class size should be small when you. leave UQ, and I think larger class sizes are typical in AUS, tho I heard it's still only around ~300-400. Furthermore UQ is actually cheaper/comparable to most DO schools (and cheaper than ~15% of US MD programs) and is completely non-profit, whereas Caribbean schools are for-profit with class sizes in excess of 1000+ students. And, as has been said above, the match rate, STEP scores/pass rates, and match locations are absolutely uncomparable to Caribbean schools, and, to be honest, kind of outshine US DO schools (though I'm sure UQ students have to work 10x as hard to achieve these results being IMGs).

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Reactions: 2 users
Isn't most of this just straight up false though? Not a student there, but I heard you take your preclinical years alongside the Australian UQ students, and UQ is like a T5 med school in Australia, so the quality of education must be pretty good right? UQ trained a few Nobel laureates, developed the HPV vaccine, the first portable MRI machine, etc. etc., so I feel like it's not really fair to say that you're not getting high-quality education at a really nice institution. Also the stat average of the incoming classes at UQ vs Caribb schools isn't comparable, with most Carib schools being around less than 3.0/498, and UQ being 3.4/508 (comparable to US DO schools).

Also the Ochsner cohort is like 90 people so MS3/4 your class size should be small when you. leave UQ, and I think larger class sizes are typical in AUS, tho I heard it's still only around ~300-400. Furthermore UQ is actually cheaper/comparable to most DO schools (and cheaper than ~15% of US MD programs) and is completely non-profit, whereas Caribbean schools are for-profit with class sizes in excess of 1000+ students. And, as has been said above, the match rate, STEP scores/pass rates, and match locations are absolutely uncomparable to Caribbean schools, and, to be honest, kind of outshine US DO schools (though I'm sure UQ students have to work 10x as hard to achieve these results being IMGs).

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
UQregret did include more info in an earlier post. Take a look here: UQ-Ochsner 2022 Cohort

I don't agree with a lot of those points, but I do think things might have been different in the past and I know the curriculum has gone through some changes recently. In my experience, what we've been taught roughly lines up with what I'm seeing in Boards and Beyond and I've been able to use AnKing to study for UQ exams. I do think the UQ curriculum is more clinically focused than a lot of US schools, and it's true that Biochem isn't covered in great detail, but with Step 1 going p/f the value of studying biochem has dropped substantially. The other big point was about attrition, and that's difficult to discuss because the numbers are a bit opaque.

Overall, though, you're right, UQ is a top Australian medical school and the education for Ochsner students is no different from that of Australian students. To argue that UQ does a poor job educating its students is to argue that Australian medical education overall is broken, and I'm not sure that's a strong argument.

And to rally your point also Mr @Wolvvs , even the curriculum starting the class of 2022 will be different and improve from other years (FAQs for the new UQ-Ochsner MD Program) and (MD DESIGN) so I'm sure they will takes all the past criticism about the program, improve on it in order to get the Aus Medical Association approval etc.

UQregret did include more info in an earlier post. Take a look here: UQ-Ochsner 2022 Cohort

I don't agree with a lot of those points, but I do think things might have been different in the past and I know the curriculum has gone through some changes recently. In my experience, what we've been taught roughly lines up with what I'm seeing in Boards and Beyond and I've been able to use AnKing to study for UQ exams. I do think the UQ curriculum is more clinically focused than a lot of US schools, and it's true that Biochem isn't covered in great detail, but with Step 1 going p/f the value of studying biochem has dropped substantially. The other big point was about attrition, and that's difficult to discuss because the numbers are a bit opaque.

Overall, though, you're right, UQ is a top Australian medical school and the education for Ochsner students is no different from that of Australian students. To argue that UQ does a poor job educating its students is to argue that Australian medical education overall is broken, and I'm not sure that's a strong argument.
Gotcha — do you think the curriculum being more clinically focused is a better thing in the long run, or does it not really matter?

Gotcha — do you think the curriculum being more clinically focused is a better thing in the long run, or does it not really matter?
It does make it more interesting and probably more applicable long-term, but we're going to have to re-learn everything 3rd year and in residency anyway. It also makes it a bit harder to distill a lecture down to what's examinable vs what's not. But honestly if I had to choose between lectures that are very clinical vs lectures that are PhDs focusing on minutia from their research, I would take the clinical lectures!

Who cares - did you even go to / complete med school. Medicine is mostly self taught anyway - during and after med school. You don't know what you are talking about. Full professors don't necessary add anything either.

I'm back again with an ole boy I've been put on academic probation and I still don't know how to study for even HSR apparently. Does anyone want to share their study method for the most boring of boring classes aka HSRs.... Should I even be asking here?

I'm back again with an ole boy I've been put on academic probation and I still don't know how to study for even HSR apparently. Does anyone want to share their study method for the most boring of boring classes aka HSRs.... Should I even be asking here?
Yeah I definitely get it, HSR2 is tricky. When you say academic probation, did you fail the class and need to take a supplemental/are you looking at retaking it next year or does academic probation mean something else?

HSR2 to me is about understanding the principles more than the calculation itself. I find it useful to have examples of each concept and then do some practice questions. They've provided so many practice questions and i think if you understood the underlying principles behind all those questions, you'll do well. HSR2 is extremely important since it not only has concepts which will be tested on step 1, but also lay the foundation for you to understand statistical principles when you read papers

Any US Banks in Brisbane close to UQ campus? Trying to open a account here. Heard Bank of America & Citibank are closed in Brisbane as per Google. Not sure. Any Input?