UQ-Ochsner and Competitive US Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There's been whispers of it, but nothing officially released as of yet. EM applications are weird too, they're changing the whole process for them.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your response. I really appreciate you taking the time. I was just confused because there isn't a list of ochsner IM residents fellowship placements anywhere online.

Does anyone know if ochsner has plans to set up an EM residency with all of the new development they're doing?
That's a good question.

EDITED - see response below!
(far more relevant)

Other places to ask something like this would be the residents forum or internal medicine forum - Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties. It may or may not net you a response, but you can try.

Last edited:
Here's my question: Suppose that these students who match Ochsner IM want to go into a fellowship after. Knowing that getting into a fellowship is mainly based on the reputation of your residency program and your performance, is Ochsner IM considered a strong program?

I can speak to this somewhat because I'm one of the statistics. Everyone from my UQ-Ochser class (2014) who did Ochsner IM and applied for a fellowship got one. Myself I got Critical Care/Pulmonary at Drexel/Hahnemann, one person got Cleveland Clinic for palliative care and the other got infectious disease at like Emory or someplace like that (don't remember where exactly). Before me we've had at least three grads get Cardiology at Ochsner, one get LSU for Pulmonary-Critical Care, one for GI at LSU Shreveport. There are probably others but that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

I can think of only two UQ-O grads in the Ochsner IM program who applied for a fellowship and didn't get it. They were both applying for critical care/pulmonology and They both straight up didn't apply to enough programs due to very severe geographic restrictions on where they could go. One was so restricted that they only really applied to Seattle which is an insanely competitive program.

As far as ER residency that rumor has been around since I was a 3rd year medical student here, and it was around when my friend from the first UQ-O graduating class, who is now a second year fellow, was a 3rd year medical student. It keeps getting talked about but that's about it. My understanding is there are a lot of significant changes, beyond the new construction, to facilitate getting an EM residency which is too bad because if it had gone live two years ago when it was supposed to I'd have tried to switch over mid-heartbeat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello all, I was about to post this in UQ 2019 cohort but I figured that this thread may be more helpful....I was wondering if Ochsner had a rad onc rotation (I know they have rad onc dept so I think they should?) and if they have a residency for rad onc or med onc. ALSO if so it seems like people do not match in that residency (do people enter rad onc fellowships or heme/onc fellowships after an IM residency?) I want to know if it is a) possible b) if it has been done) and c) how it was. As an undergrad I had volunteer experience with cancer patients but my research was in neuro...I know the road will be arduous I just want to see if there is the training available if I put in the work. Let me know, thanks!