UQ (Queensland) MBBS admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ehsan69

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a Canadian and am applying for the UQ's next year intake for MBBS. From what I've bee told, for this school, as long as you meet the minimum requirements and there is still space in the program, you will be offered an interview. My question is that, is it right or I've been misled? And if it is right, why does is sound so easy? Is there a disadvantage to it or something? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Who told you that? The Internet?

The medians stats of admitted applicants is significantly higher than the minimum requirements.

The medians stats of admitted applicants is significantly higher than the minimum requirements.
The Oztrekk. Is there anywhere that I could find the stats of admitted applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)

What's important is the range. With no interview and no real application form, if they let in anyone below 27 as an MCAT, then they have little standards.

Their range goes down to 25.

Median means almost nothing here. What measures the schools admission standards are it's admission criteria and, if the only critieria is the MCAT and they let someone in with a sub-28 MCAT, well...

What's important is the range. With no interview and no real application form, if they let in anyone below 27 as an MCAT, then they have little standards.

Their range goes down to 25.

Median means almost nothing here. What measures the schools admission standards are it's admission criteria and, if the only critieria is the MCAT and they let someone in with a sub-28 MCAT, well...
But do you know if their emphasis is mostly on MCAT or GPA? my GPA is 3.0. Can I compensate that with my MCAT score. Do you know what score I would need to have a chance if I apply very early?

But do you know if their emphasis is mostly on MCAT or GPA? my GPA is 3.0. Can I compensate that with my MCAT score. Do you know what score I would need to have a chance if I apply very early?

Transition does not understand UQ admissions. Never has.
There is indeed a large range of scores compared to what you'd find at most US schools (UQ classes will typically have students with MCAT ranging from 24 to 37+), like at pretty much every school here. I don't know what he purports is the relevance of "little standards" as defined above, nevertheless it is not the case that so long as you make the cutoff, you'll get in (as I have advised Transition before).

UQ for years has had a general MCAT score cutoff of 24. If you make the GPA cutoff, it doesn't normally look at your GPA any further except as a tiebreaker. The cutoffs otherwise just mean that if you don't make them, you need not apply. UQ also has rolling admissions, so some with a low MCAT will get in, while others with the same MCAT and GPA will not, depending on where in the cycle they are, how many spots are remaining then, and what the admissions folks anticipate over the rest of the cycle. This is because they aim for a particular (approximate) class size.

The meaning of the mean scores is that they will give you an idea of what academic level the average student will be at (all else being equal), which may matter for a number of reasons. In terms of *distribution* (range is essentially meaningless as per above), if similar to when I knew the stats, there will be few at the extremes, while the lower tail will be a little longer than the upper (the median just below the mean).

So to indirectly answer your question -- when to apply for a best shot of getting in will vary depending on what they are expecting at the beginning of the season (based in part on their experience from the previous cohort) and how many spots they have remaining by the time you apply. For example, if admissions finds that they have been too selective with their early applicants (or fewer of them than expected accepted an offer from UQ), then they will be less selective at the end of the season (and inversely). That's simply how rolling admissions works.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Transition does not understand UQ admissions. Never has.
There is indeed a large range of scores compared to what you'd find at most US schools (UQ classes will typically have students with MCAT ranging from 24 to 37+), like at pretty much every school here. I don't know what he purports is the relevance of "little standards" as defined above, nevertheless it is not the case that so long as you make the cutoff, you'll get in (as I have advised Transition before).

UQ for years has had a general MCAT score cutoff of 24. If you make the GPA cutoff, it doesn't normally look at your GPA any further except as a tiebreaker. The cutoffs otherwise just mean that if you don't make them, you need not apply. UQ also has rolling admissions, so some with a low MCAT will get in, while others with the same MCAT and GPA will not, depending on where in the cycle they are, how many spots are remaining then, and what the admissions folks anticipate over the rest of the cycle. This is because they aim for a particular (approximate) class size.

The meaning of the mean scores is that they will give you an idea of what academic level the average student will be at (all else being equal), which may matter for a number of reasons. In terms of *distribution* (range is essentially meaningless as per above), if similar to when I knew the stats, there will be few at the extremes, while the lower tail will be a little longer than the upper (the median just below the mean).

So to indirectly answer your question -- when to apply for a best shot of getting in will vary depending on what they are expecting at the beginning of the season (based in part on their experience from the previous cohort) and how many spots they have remaining by the time you apply. For example, if admissions finds that they have been too selective with their early applicants (or fewer of them than expected accepted an offer from UQ), then they will be less selective at the end of the season (and inversely). That's simply how rolling admissions works.
THANKS so much, this is an answer that helped me a lot.

A bit off topic here but I find it strange just how large the discrepancy between the requirements for local and international students is. Americans and Canadians can get into UQ with an MCAT score in the mid twenties.. that's like 50th percentile right? That is very very average - and I think undoubtedly there will be some poor students admitted. Contrarily, local Australians need to get about 98-99th percentile in the admissions test (GAMSAT) to gain an unbonded place, an equivalent MCAT score by percentile is probably about 37-38. To be fair the exam doesn't test as much content but I do believe the test scores do provide some indication of a canditate's aptitude and dedication.

From this I gather that it's likely that you have the bottom of the barrel US students in the same cohort as the top AU students. It's the universities choice ($$), but as a local australian student with aspirations of moving to the states in the future, I wonder what effect accepting a UQ offer will have on my ability to match into a residency there if UQ is considered a 'reject's school'? Anyways.. I'm well above the CSP cutoff, and in my mind I've already accepted an offer that should come (god that sounds conceited but I'm just very excited :p), but the international reputation of UQ has me a bit concerned.

Disclaimer: I don't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers with this post & my username is a joke. I don't mean to say that people with an MCAT score of 25 make worse doctors than those with an MCAT score of 40 or anything like that, just that selecting for med school based solely on a mediocre MCAT score doesn't sit right with me. If they do this, they might as well let any high school graduate in.

A bit off topic here but I find it strange just how large the discrepancy between the requirements for local and international students is. Americans and Canadians can get into UQ with an MCAT score in the mid twenties.. that's like 50th percentile right? That is very very average - and I think undoubtedly there will be some poor students admitted. Contrarily, local Australians need to get about 98-99th percentile in the admissions test (GAMSAT) to gain an unbonded place, an equivalent MCAT score by percentile is probably about 37-38. To be fair the exam doesn't test as much content but I do believe the test scores do provide some indication of a canditate's aptitude and dedication.

From this I gather that it's likely that you have the bottom of the barrel US students in the same cohort as the top AU students. It's the universities choice ($$), but as a local australian student with aspirations of moving to the states in the future, I wonder what effect accepting a UQ offer will have on my ability to match into a residency there if UQ is considered a 'reject's school'? Anyways.. I'm well above the CSP cutoff, and in my mind I've already accepted an offer that should come (god that sounds conceited but I'm just very excited :p), but the international reputation of UQ has me a bit concerned.

Disclaimer: I don't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers with this post & my username is a joke. I don't mean to say that people with an MCAT score of 25 make worse doctors than those with an MCAT score of 40 or anything like that, just that selecting for med school based solely on a mediocre MCAT score doesn't sit right with me. If they do this, they might as well let any high school graduate in.

You are right. If i were a native australian like you and planning on going to the US I would consider another Australian school. I think any school except UQ, Sydney and Flinders graduates mostly Australians.

Actually, after reading pitman's post i've changed my mind. Its true that US residencies don't really care too much about where you graduated from. Its best to just pick the school you are happier in.

Last edited:
I can understand the concern in theory. Though I think a 50%ile scaled score on the MCAT is still 24 or 25, and the mean acceptance score of ~28 I'd think 60-70%ile.

I don't know of any such negative repercussions of Australians who go to UQ looking to do residency in the US (the bigger hurdle is knowing they want to go early, so that they study a lot of extra basic science), but it's certainly possible *if* American programs think lowly of American UQ candidates that it could taint the Australians. Then again, the US residency committees primarily care about USMLE scores and the interview, but those who might care I would hope know that locals of any int'l school tend to have different acceptance stats than the int'l students (UQ has had the highest or 2nd highest GAMSAT scores in Australia for a number of years -- in part due to no interview, in part due to its combination of school-leavers and uni grads), and nothing prevents an Australian from letting programs know of their %ile, assuming they know enough about the GAMSAT to know whether they care or not).

Until recently, virtually all of the int's at UQ have been from Canada though, and they have been quite successful placing back in Canada, and I have no reason to think they've done any differently than those from USyd or Flinders, for example. Americans are only starting (through Ochsner) to graduate en masse, and their first cohort has been very happy with their placements (see the Ochsner threads). Prior years had very few American grads, on the order of 3-10 per year, but I know of only two who ever failed the USMLE since 2007 (from a sample of maybe 40), with quite a few who've done exceptionally well (240+) and there seems to always be one or two in the 260s (one year by a couple who hooked up early on here and ended up at Darmouth together). N. Americans tend also to do better, at least on Step 1 -- they have had more science as undergrads (on average), and they are far more likely to do the extra studying necessary for the exam throughout the course.

I would also note that the N. American students have done as well as the Australians in the course itself. There aren't more failures, and last I knew (granted, this goes back a few years, but with very similar acceptance stats back then) their grades were not significantly different from the locals'. This could be in part because of differences in the applicant groups (there are so many new schools here, and very few if any prerequisites which in the US is a big self-selector) that I would suspect that the average GAMSAT score is not equivalent to the average MCAT score, in so far as they can be compared -- and they are very different exams testing different things); and in part because generally speaking, the int'ls who come here tend to work their butts off, since they are paying many times the tuition, and have more pressure to do well knowing they may have to return to N. America (vs. the disincentive of an almost exclusively non-merit based internship selection for Australians who have the fallback of staying here).

Having said all that, do any residency programs even look at MCAT scores?

Last edited:
The UQ Ochsner webinar had a student who said a program director told him that American medical students were like princesses' compared to Australian medical students.

I would not worry about lack of prestige, it seems in the medical community an Australian education is widely regarded as rigorous and prestigious. I have never heard anyone say anything about it being inferior.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
When I was there (2004-2007) and N. Americans would go back to do clinical terms, they almost universally agreed that while they weren't as strong as the American students on the basic science (particularly pharmacology), they knew far more clinical medicine and were more at ease in the clinical environment.

I think you'll have to give them a call to get the answer to your deferment question.

When I was there (2004-2007) and N. Americans would go back to do clinical terms, they almost universally agreed that while they weren't as strong as the American students on the basic science (particularly pharmacology), they knew far more clinical medicine and were more at ease in the clinical environment.
I heard similar things from senior students when I was in 1st/2nd year, but when I actually got to 4th year and did my rotations, I didn't really get that impression. I think this is a statement that's perpetuated by the top-class students who go to the US and, because they're the success stories, they're the ones who end up sharing their wisdom with future generations. When I talked to my classmates who went to the US, most of them didn't feel like they knew "far more" clinical medicine. If anything, our clinical thought process might be a bit more streamlined, since that's something that we really learned in Australia and they really don't learn in the US.

But in general, I've found a general trend that whenever people aren't very good at basic or clinical sciences, they have a tendency to say "oh, we're really good clinically." It's like the people who aren't very smart, but they say "hey, I have street smarts." Not saying that it's not always true - but I always find it funny when somebody says something like "oh, our residency program doesn't focus as much on research as the bigger-name program across town, but their fellowships prefer to hire our residents because we focus on clinical skills. I mean, they usually take their own graduates, but that's just because they're biased. They took one of ours three years ago, so it's clear that they wanted somebody with good clinical skills instead of their usual eggheads."

I would also note that the N. American students have done as well as the Australians in the course itself. There aren't more failures, and last I knew (granted, this goes back a few years, but with very similar acceptance stats back then) their grades were not significantly different from the locals'. This could be in part because of differences in the applicant groups (there are so many new schools here, and very few if any prerequisites which in the US is a big self-selector) that I would suspect that the average GAMSAT score is not equivalent to the average MCAT score, in so far as they can be compared -- and they are very different exams testing different things); and in part because generally speaking, the int'ls who come here tend to work their butts off, since they are paying many times the tuition, and have more pressure to do well knowing they may have to return to N. America (vs. the disincentive of an almost exclusively non-merit based internship selection for Australians who have the fallback of staying here).
I agree with most of those comments in principle, but I've noticed a somewhat different trend. The top students in my class were all Aussies, since we had some of the brightest and hardest-working students in Australia. The brightest and hardest-working students in N.America usually end up staying in N.America, so even the top N.American students in our class were in the 70-80th percentile compared to the Aussies.
Also, we had a handful of international students who did more than their fair share of slacking. I've never seen stats on how many people fail, but I had to repeat an exam once, and there was definitely a disproportionate number of international students in that room.
Still, I think that the median N.American student was probably about the same as the median Aussie student.

pre med 2014 said:

Yeah, but the median will obviously be higher than the minimum. I remember people on this forum reporting that they got in with a 26, IIRC. But as pitman said, it's a rolling process... so you'd have to be lucky to get in with a 26 (based on the rest of the pool), and you'd have to be unlucky to get rejected with a 30.

The bottom line is that UQ has been accredited in Australia for a long time, and it's a proper legitimate medical school. If you apply for residency in the US, it'll probably be seen in a better light than the Caribbean just because it's in Australia, but most people will never have heard of it. If you have good American rec letters and USMLE scores, that's proof enough that your education was appropriate.

My experience on the interview trail was that if people have heard of your school and/or know some researchers from there, that's a big advantage. As a result, I think having a degree from USyd really helped me, and the same is probably true for U.Melbourne. At my interview at Mayo, the head of the department specifically wanted to meet with me because he's friends with the head of the department at my hospital in Sydney, and has a lot of research ties in Australia. At Indiana, one of my interviewers was a Melbourne graduate, and we spent half the time talking about Australia. At WashU (where I ended up matching), the associate program director was really excited about learning about Australia, and we spent a lot of time talking about that. In general, everybody thought that it was an interesting topic to discuss, as long as you have interesting things to say about it... and you have to present yourself as a generally interesting and well-accomplished person so that they see your Aussie experience as a period of enrichment rather than being concerned that you were away from the American system.

Last edited:
Wow you matched at WashU? Then there is hope! lol :)

I got into UQ-O with a 2.9 and 29 MCAT. But I ended up getting into school in the states because I did an SMP. I highly recommend taking this route before heading to Oz, but that's just my opinion.

where and what did you get SMP in?

Last edited:
I got into UQ-O with a 2.9 and 29 MCAT. But I ended up getting into school in the states because I did an SMP. I highly recommend taking this route before heading to Oz, but that's just my opinion.

Why do you recommend not going to Australia?

Probably the cost?? But I imagine with the smp he ended up paying the same amount as he would have for Australia

It was $45k for a year, which is expensive but totally worth it IMHO, especially when you consider how ridiculously expensive UQ-O is for international students. I mean, if you were a struggling pre-med with no real chance of getting a US acceptance, would you pay $45K if I gave you a seat in a US allopathic medical school? I know I would when I was a pre-med. I'd pay double that. UQ-O tries to distance itself from other offshore schools, but it's just another international school capitalizing on desperate pre-meds. And I know there will be people trying to pick apart what I just said, but the bottom line is that US grads have the pick of the litter when it comes to getting residency placement, so it is always better to go to school in the US if that's where you want to practice. If you have the stats to get into the big four (or UQ-O), you have the stats to get into an SMP linkage program in the states. And if you can get into an SMP program in the states, all it takes is a year of hard work and you'll be accepted into medical school. I went to the BMS program at RFU, and it was amazing. Pretty much as long as you don't get Cs in any of the classes in BMS, you'll get in. There are programs like this all over the country, and some have better linkages than others. And if for whatever reason you still can't get in, you can always head to Oz then.

It was $45k for a year, which is expensive but totally worth it IMHO, especially when you consider how ridiculously expensive UQ-O is for international students. I mean, if you were a struggling pre-med with no real chance of getting a US acceptance, would you pay $45K if I gave you a seat in a US allopathic medical school? I know I would when I was a pre-med. I'd pay double that. UQ-O tries to distance itself from other offshore schools, but it's just another international school capitalizing on desperate pre-meds. And I know there will be people trying to pick apart what I just said, but the bottom line is that US grads have the pick of the litter when it comes to getting residency placement, so it is always better to go to school in the US if that's where you want to practice. If you have the stats to get into the big four (or UQ-O), you have the stats to get into an SMP linkage program in the states. And if you can get into an SMP program in the states, all it takes is a year of hard work and you'll be accepted into medical school. I went to the BMS program at RFU, and it was amazing. Pretty much as long as you don't get Cs in any of the classes in BMS, you'll get in. There are programs like this all over the country, and some have better linkages than others. And if for whatever reason you still can't get in, you can always head to Oz then.

I agree with the above. When I was applying 5 years ago, the SMP programs were a bit less well-developed, so I wasn't sure if doing well in one of those programs would significantly improve my chances of getting into med school in the US. But now that these programs are better-recognized, IMG residency admissions are getting harder, and the possibility of staying in Australia is uncertain, I'd really consider the SMP option before going overseas.

Again, things worked out well for me, so I can't complain. And I wouldn't advise people against going to Aus. But just make sure that you've explored all of your options thoroughly.

I agree with the above. When I was applying 5 years ago, the SMP programs were a bit less well-developed, so I wasn't sure if doing well in one of those programs would significantly improve my chances of getting into med school in the US. But now that these programs are better-recognized, IMG residency admissions are getting harder, and the possibility of staying in Australia is uncertain, I'd really consider the SMP option before going overseas.

Again, things worked out well for me, so I can't complain. And I wouldn't advise people against going to Aus. But just make sure that you've explored all of your options thoroughly.
I'm really sorry for being so off, but what is an SMP program and is it available only in the U.S.? because I'm from Canada!

And I know there will be people trying to pick apart what I just said, but the bottom line is that US grads have the pick of the litter when it comes to getting residency placement, so it is always better to go to school in the US if that's where you want to practice.

Just to pick apart one assertion a little...
I think it would better to qualify the above by saying that if you have the option, then it is always easier to get US residency (in order to practice in the US) from a US school, but that's very different than saying it's 'better' to go to a US school if you want to practice in the US.

I'm really sorry for being so off, but what is an SMP program and is it available only in the U.S.? because I'm from Canada!

Its basically a post bac program that allows you to improve your GPA for medical school, i think it stands for special master's program? It's only available in the US. In Canada the only option you have is (if you are still in school taking an extra year) or doing a masters (which doesn't really improve your undergrad GPA but allows you to show you have improved by doing well in it)

Its basically a post bac program that allows you to improve your GPA for medical school, i think it stands for special master's program? It's only available in the US. In Canada the only option you have is (if you are still in school taking an extra year) or doing a masters (which doesn't really improve your undergrad GPA but allows you to show you have improved by doing well in it)

Well, another option would be to go to the US...

I am from Hong Kong. I've submitted everything in fall of May. Anyone have any clue that how long UQ will work on the assessment and release their offer?

BTW my background info
BSc in Biochemistry
Master of Nursing
Registered Nurse (ICU)
GPA ~6.2/7 for the master degree
MCAT 31 (taken on April 2013)

Is admission likely? Thanks a lot.

Yes admission is likely if you are paying international fees.

Just to pick apart one assertion a little...
I think it would better to qualify the above by saying that if you have the option, then it is always easier to get US residency (in order to practice in the US) from a US school, but that's very different than saying it's 'better' to go to a US school if you want to practice in the US.

Well, if it's easier to get into any given US residency program if you go to a US school, wouldn't you then say it is indeed better to go to a US school? Easier is better.

SPM = special master's program. It's a one-year masters program offered at various medical schools that allows you to take classes right along with medical students. They usually have a strong linkage to their own schools, so that if you do well academically in the SMP, you'll be admitted to the host medical school for the following year. Read about them here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=346106. It's an older thread, but most of the info is good. I'd start with RFUMS and EVMS because they have the highest linkages.

I know a handful of Canadians that went to my SMP and are now in medical school with me in Chicago. If you don't mind being trained in the US, SMP programs are an excellent option for struggling Canadian pre-meds. I don't think you'll have much trouble practicing in Canada because all US schools and Canadian schools fall under the LCME.

Well, if it's easier to get into any given US residency program if you go to a US school, wouldn't you then say it is indeed better to go to a US school? Easier is better.

Not it isn't. You are assuming that when one wants an American residency, nothing else potentially in conflict with that goal may also be wanted, and further that all that matters in achieving a goal is the easiest or most direct route. For you maybe, but not for many others.

Last edited:
They just changed their MCAT Reqs. You can now have a 7 on no more than one section to be considered, minimum total must still be 24.

Not it isn't. You are assuming that when one wants an American residency, nothing else potentially in conflict with that goal may also be wanted, and further that all that matters in achieving a goal is the easiest or most direct route. For you maybe, but not for many others.

I guess I don't understand your argument. Why would want something in conflict with achieving your goal? US schools do a better job at placing students in desirable US residencies, so if you want a desirable US residency, you would have the best chances of acceptance if you went to a US school. Hence the overwhelming opinion that US schools are better than international schools. It also goes without saying that there wouldn't be a stigma of having gone to an international school if you were to graduate from a US school, so that plays a role as well. If you want to be a US doctor, I think almost everyone would agree that attending a US school vs an international school is the smartest option. Sure you can go to an international school and still train to become a great doctor, but you will face what amounts to lifelong obstacles when you are competing for residency, fellowships, and jobs against other US grads.

It all depends on what your goal is. One person's vision of success is another person's vision of failure. (i.e. there's the beaten path and then there's my path)

I guess I don't understand your argument. Why would want something in conflict with achieving your goal? US schools do a better job at placing students in desirable US residencies, so if you want a desirable US residency, you would have the best chances of acceptance if you went to a US school. Hence the overwhelming opinion that US schools are better than international schools. It also goes without saying that there wouldn't be a stigma of having gone to an international school if you were to graduate from a US school, so that plays a role as well. If you want to be a US doctor, I think almost everyone would agree that attending a US school vs an international school is the smartest option. Sure you can go to an international school and still train to become a great doctor, but you will face what amounts to lifelong obstacles when you are competing for residency, fellowships, and jobs against other US grads.

Hm. You are being very linear, and a pragmatist (as opposed to having romantic tendencies).

People very often have multiple goals. Goals often conflict. People often also put a lot of weight on the path itself, a la Thoreau or Frost (as Seeker is implying).

I would also wholeheartedly disagree that there are problems beyond residency after going overseas for medical school. The people and jobs you will attract and be attracted to will be those who understand the value of seeking a circuitous path, or a different path.

It's a bit silly painting all foreign med schools with the stigma thing, and only ignorant people assume that the only reason for going overseas is because you didn't choose the 'easiest' path to get to the US. Ask any former Sackler student, or Cornell Qatar student. Or old-school docs who understand the value of the path less taken!

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

There is nothing wrong with your priorities, and because of them, I would agree that for you, it was 'best' for you to stay in the US. However, you need to recognize how others may think quite differently, and what is best for them is not necessarily what is easiest, or direct, or so narrowly didactic.

Hm. You are being very linear, and a pragmatist (as opposed to having romantic tendencies).

People very often have multiple goals. Goals often conflict. People often also put a lot of weight on the path itself, a la Thoreau or Frost (as Seeker is implying).

I would also wholeheartedly disagree that there are problems beyond residency after going overseas for medical school. The people and jobs you will attract and be attracted to will be those who understand the value of seeking a circuitous path, or a different path.

It's a bit silly painting all foreign med schools with the stigma thing, and only ignorant people assume that the only reason for going overseas is because you didn't choose the 'easiest' path to get to the US. Ask any former Sackler student, or Cornell Qatar student. Or old-school docs who understand the value of the path less taken!

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

There is nothing wrong with your priorities, and because of them, I would agree that for you, it was 'best' for you to stay in the US. However, you need to recognize how others may think quite differently, and what is best for them is not necessarily what is easiest, or direct, or so narrowly didactic.

Well I suppose that's one way to look at it. I am of the mindset that there's no need to place obstacles before yourself just to prove you can overcome obstacles. I can't imagine it looks too intelligent to an adcom either.

Well I suppose that's one way to look at it. I am of the mindset that there's no need to place obstacles before yourself just to prove you can overcome obstacles. I can't imagine it looks too intelligent to an adcom either.

You're doing the same thing in starting with the notion that your way is 'best'.
You seem to think in terms of how best to avoid obstacles to achieve a fixed end. There are so many assumptions in that view of the world which cannot be said to be 'right', or 'smartest'.

There are many students here (everywhere) who don't think that way. And many of those who have had no problem, others who have told me it was an ADVANTAGE, getting a desired residency. On the other hand, those people believe in what they are doing, which is important come time for interviews.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but if you can't imagine at least several alternative worldviews being seen as attractive to any adcom worth a damn, then you really, really need to get out and learn more about people.

You're doing the same thing in starting with the notion that your way is 'best'.
You seem to think in terms of how best to avoid obstacles to achieve a fixed end. There are so many assumptions in that view of the world which cannot be said to be 'right', or 'smartest'.

There are many students here (everywhere) who don't think that way. And many of those who have had no problem, others who have told me it was an ADVANTAGE, getting a desired residency. On the other hand, those people believe in what they are doing, which is important come time for interviews.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but if you can't imagine at least several alternative worldviews being seen as attractive to any adcom worth a damn, then you really, really need to get out and learn more about people.

I think maybe we are having a semantic argument. When I say “obstacles” I am referring to hardships you encounter (or that you invent yourself) which impede your chances of success in a given endeavor. I think going overseas for a medical degree in order to practice in the United States is an obstacle in this sense. Heading offshore will reduce your chances of matching into the field/program of your choice, so I think that going to UQ-O is not the “best” route. This is my opinion, which I think is shared by a significant number of people. You may not view this strategy the same way I do, but that is your prerogative. I am not talking about research, volunteering, shadowing, ect, which are all also challenging things. But these types of activities help your overall chances of achieving your goal, and I don’t consider them “obstacles” in the same way I consider going offshore an obstacle. Necessary challenges increase your chances of success, while unnecessary obstacles inhibit your chances.

There are certainly several worldviews which are “worth a damn” to adcoms. But I haven’t met anyone who honestly thinks creating unnecessary obstacles for oneself is a superior “worldview,” if you can indeed even call it a worldview. And if these people do exist, then I truly do not want to meet them.

So you're saying that UQ-O is for desperate pre med students who can't get into a US school but then you say 'all you have to do is an smp and get all B's and you're guaranteed getting in'

You put yourself in a trap, the criticism you give for going to UQ-O is exactly what you're guilty of by going SMP. If you're guaranteed to get in just by doing halfway decent in your smp classes how is that different from going to oz?

Btw, UQ is not equivalent to the Caribbean, it is equivalent to DO in terms of competitiveness. 3.4/28.6 is top end DO medians

You put yourself in a trap, the criticism you give for going to UQ-O is exactly what you're guilty of by going SMP. If you're guaranteed to get in just by doing halfway decent in your smp classes how is that different from going to oz?

The difference if that one program has you graduating from Oz (IMG, MBBS) and the other has you graduating from the US (AMD, MD). That seems like a huge difference to me.

And how is that better? You're losing a year of physician pay by paying 45K for the SMP and doing a year of extra work.

That's kind of like creating unnecessary obstacles just to overcome them. 45•5 = 225K which is about what UQ-O costs for 4 years plus you can potentially start working 6 months earlier (although most don't) cause classes end in December not may. So 225K and be done in four years or 225K and be done in five years?

Obviously if you want to be in the US for residency its most preferable to go to a US MD school. However, you can't say US schools > International schools period. You can say US schools > International schools for US residency.

At the end of the day once you get residency in the US after graduating from UQ for example you are an MD. DOs cannot be called MD.

If you are a US MD and you decide to move to the UK for example you are required to call yourself an MBBS or MB ChB or at least say MD (US) because the MD (UK) is a higher level doctorate that requires you to do research and write a thesis.

Obviously if you want to be in the US for residency its most preferable to go to a US MD school. However, you can't say US schools > International schools period. You can say US schools > International schools for US residency.

At the end of the day once you get residency in the US after graduating from UQ for example you are an MD. DOs cannot be called MD.

Fair enough.

I think maybe we are having a semantic argument. When I say “obstacles” I am referring to hardships you encounter (or that you invent yourself) which impede your chances of success in a given endeavor. I think going overseas for a medical degree in order to practice in the United States is an obstacle in this sense. Heading offshore will reduce your chances of matching into the field/program of your choice, so I think that going to UQ-O is not the “best” route. This is my opinion, which I think is shared by a significant number of people. You may not view this strategy the same way I do, but that is your prerogative. I am not talking about research, volunteering, shadowing, ect, which are all also challenging things. But these types of activities help your overall chances of achieving your goal, and I don’t consider them “obstacles” in the same way I consider going offshore an obstacle. Necessary challenges increase your chances of success, while unnecessary obstacles inhibit your chances.

There are certainly several worldviews which are “worth a damn” to adcoms. But I haven’t met anyone who honestly thinks creating unnecessary obstacles for oneself is a superior “worldview,” if you can indeed even call it a worldview. And if these people do exist, then I truly do not want to meet them.

No, it's not semantics, but a real difference of world view. You are still arguing that anything (any obstacles) that may not optimize one's chances to achieve a particular goal should be avoided, as being "unnecessary", as though it were only right (or consistent, or 'best') to single-mindedly pursue that goal. Obstacles to one goal are not necessarily obstacles to others, while their avoidance may preclude the others, just as there are no absolute values but a myriad of them that we balance, or weigh against each other, or compensate for, yet (in being consistent) must accommodate nonetheless. And some people accept that the ends, as values, may unexpectedly change along the way.

But you further seem to be arguing that only an extraordinarily small set of achievements (or obstacles) are or ought to be recognizable as being of the "necessary" type. There are many adcoms who are not so pretentious (or presumptuous) to dismiss non-pragmatist approaches as "unnecessary", and I would suggest you don't know of them because it is not natural for one to recognize a predilection for the likes of Frost when one does not hold or value or even respect it oneself. Many of the most successful professionals -- particularly doctors -- I know hold such romantic tendencies, are the least myopic, and tend to be the most educated in the true liberal arts sense. They not coincidentally tend to be some of the most versatile and capable, and because of that they in my experience are far more likely to excel at whatever they want.

The odd thing here is, it would appear that you are the only one arguing that there is a superior worldview. Those with romantic tendencies are unlikely to make such a claim, since in rejecting staunch pragmatism for themselves they emphasize individuality in choosing a path. There are many who hold such classical views, including myself, and it is a shame that as a future doctor you are so dismissive of them.

No, it's not semantics, but a real difference of world view. You are still arguing that anything (any obstacles) that may not optimize one's chances to achieve a particular goal should be avoided, as being "unnecessary", as though it were only right (or consistent, or 'best') to single-mindedly pursue that goal. Obstacles to one goal are not necessarily obstacles to others, while their avoidance may preclude the others, just as there are no absolute values but a myriad of them that we balance, or weigh against each other, or compensate for, yet (in being consistent) must accommodate nonetheless. And some people accept that the ends, as values, may unexpectedly change along the way.

But you further seem to be arguing that only an extraordinarily small set of achievements (or obstacles) are or ought to be recognizable as being of the "necessary" type. There are many adcoms who are not so pretentious (or presumptuous) to dismiss non-pragmatist approaches as "unnecessary", and I would suggest you don't know of them because it is not natural for one to recognize a predilection for the likes of Frost when one does not hold or value or even respect it oneself. Many of the most successful professionals -- particularly doctors -- I know hold such romantic tendencies, are the least myopic, and tend to be the most educated in the true liberal arts sense. They not coincidentally tend to be some of the most versatile and capable, and because of that they in my experience are far more likely to excel at whatever they want.

The odd thing here is, it would appear that you are the only one arguing that there is a superior worldview. Those with romantic tendencies are unlikely to make such a claim, since in rejecting staunch pragmatism for themselves they emphasize individuality in choosing a path. There are many who hold such classical views, including myself, and it is a shame that as a future doctor you are so dismissive of them.

I think you can both agree with the following statement, which is the essence of what I think you're both trying to say:

From a pragmatic perspective, you'll have a higher chance of matching in the US if you do an SMP and get into an American med school. From a romantic perspective, you can decide whether you'd rather follow the formula or forge your own path. Personally, I chose the latter option... but if I were starting over in today's conditions, I'd probably choose the former. Based on the lessons that I learned from my own journey, these are the factors that I think you should consider:

1) Doing an SMP doesn't guarantee you admission in the US. The med schools still have high admission standards.

2) If you do an SMP, you have a 97% chance of matching in the US.

3) It's not very hard to get into med school at UQ, and you'll have the opportunity to get a comparable education.

4) Australian schools won't give you any guidance and structure in the process of applying for American residency programs. You'll have to do it on your own, and you'll have to work hard independently, since med school is generally easier in Australia. To get an average score on the USMLE steps, you'll have to be well above average compared to your classmates in your knowledge of basic and clinical sciences.

5) If you go to med school in Australia, the Australian internship situation will be uncertain. People have been saying this for years and everybody has gotten internships so far, but be aware of the fact that the future is uncertain.

6) Residency programs are getting more competitive in the US as the number of medical students is growing faster than the number of residency spots.

7) The distinction between DO residencies and MD residencies will soon be abolished, and all programs will be open to both degrees.

I think you can safely go to Australia (or any other overseas med school) if you're sure that you can get an above-average score on the USMLE and you're sure that you can be resourceful enough to work out all of the little intricate details in the application process. I had 50 international students in my year, 80-90% of whom were originally planning to go back home, but I'd say that no more than 20% ended up going back to North America, since that requires a lot of extra non-required effort. If you think that you can be in that 20%, then go to Australia. But just make sure that you have a realistic pragmatic view of your plan before you borrow several hundred thousand dollars to take a step that's associated with a theoretical risk of a negative outcome.

Last edited:

Argh. Anyone who has read this thread knows that none of your conclusions about me or my opinions have any merit within the context of this argument. I didn’t posit that there is a superior worldview. I don’t think I have even expressed what I consider a “worldview” in this entire discussion. “Necessary” obstacles are things that increase your chances of success. For most medical students, “success” is achieved by matching into their residency programs of choice. My point, as Shan and MedStart have also agreed, is simply that getting a US education is best for residency placement. This opinion is supported by match lists from US programs when compared to international programs. Time will tell how UQ-O does in the long run.

By the way, even though it’s easier to get residency placement with a US degree, doing an SMP is certainly not easy. You still have to work your a** off and get good grades, interview well, and keep your cool under pressure. But for me, doing an SMP was a necessary obstacle I had to overcome in order to reach my goal of staying in the states. So you can keep using $10 words and argue until you’re blue in the face, but the overwhelming majority of people on this thread are interested in succeeding in their medical endeavors. I am just giving my advice to struggling premeds on how to achieve those goals in what I consider the most prudent manner, because it worked for me and for many others who decided to take an extra year and keep trying. You may think that my advice is at odds with your worldview, and that’s fine. You are not wrong for disagreeing. But I personally think that my SMP was a godsend, and everyone who I know who succeeded in an SMP thinks so too. So my advice is for people who think like I do and who are hesitant to head offshore.

Pitman, I respect your opinion and wish you the absolute best in your medical education. I hope you beat the odds and get into your top residency choice. I have no doubt that you will be a great doctor if your tenacity in learning is anything close to your tenacity in debating.

The above Point 7 about DO = MD residencies has no merit. The residency programs will be required to accept either complex or step 1 but nothing will change, the bias will still exist and students can already apply to Acgme residencies with complex scores. It's just language, the reality will stay the same.

Pitman, I respect your opinion and wish you the absolute best in your medical education. I hope you beat the odds and get into your top residency choice. I have no doubt that you will be a great doctor if your tenacity in learning is anything close to your tenacity in debating.

I've been a doctor for 6 years and am a rural generalist, but thanks I guess.