UQ (Queensland) MBBS admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been a doctor for 6 years and am a rural generalist, but thanks I guess.

hahahaha

Members don't see this ad.

No, it's not semantics, but a real difference of world view. You are still arguing that anything (any obstacles) that may not optimize one's chances to achieve a particular goal should be avoided, as being "unnecessary", as though it were only right (or consistent, or 'best') to single-mindedly pursue that goal. Obstacles to one goal are not necessarily obstacles to others, while their avoidance may preclude the others, just as there are no absolute values but a myriad of them that we balance, or weigh against each other, or compensate for, yet (in being consistent) must accommodate nonetheless. And some people accept that the ends, as values, may unexpectedly change along the way.

But you further seem to be arguing that only an extraordinarily small set of achievements (or obstacles) are or ought to be recognizable as being of the "necessary" type. There are many adcoms who are not so pretentious (or presumptuous) to dismiss non-pragmatist approaches as "unnecessary", and I would suggest you don't know of them because it is not natural for one to recognize a predilection for the likes of Frost when one does not hold or value or even respect it oneself. Many of the most successful professionals -- particularly doctors -- I know hold such romantic tendencies, are the least myopic, and tend to be the most educated in the true liberal arts sense. They not coincidentally tend to be some of the most versatile and capable, and because of that they in my experience are far more likely to excel at whatever they want.

The odd thing here is, it would appear that you are the only one arguing that there is a superior worldview. Those with romantic tendencies are unlikely to make such a claim, since in rejecting staunch pragmatism for themselves they emphasize individuality in choosing a path. There are many who hold such classical views, including myself, and it is a shame that as a future doctor you are so dismissive of them.

This made me think of this:

"I don't always go to medical school, but when I do I go to UQ-O"

I'm a current UQ MBBS student and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

The administration has lost its mind and wants to increase the student body size indefinitely each year until it reaches the point where it is graduating 1,000 students a year and establishing satellite campuses across Queensland. The school knows it is graduating far more students than QLD Health needs as interns and is willing to lie to students and leave hundreds jobless just so that the medical school administration can take care of their own needs.

The school is also failing Year 3 students at alarming rates as it knows it has such a bloated student population that failing someone not only has no effect on the number of graduates it pumps out, but it also gets extra tuition money from students having to repeat.

The school is essentially running a plantation-style model with its students. Beware.

Members don't see this ad :)
^are you an international? Why do you feel your residency placement chances are low? Did you do good on step 1? More info please.

I think he might be an Australian student. He was referring to Australia's intern scheme not US residency.

I don't know, but without a doubt, UQ's current model reminds me of Edinburgh's model back in the 1700-1800s which actually was very effective back then. Allow almost anyone to come study but only allow 20% to earn doctorates. Of course back then you could practice without a doctorate but MDs earned more than non MDs.

UQ is probably the largest medical school in the English speaking world.

Hmm. Interesting claims.

First, UQ has never had any intention of graduating 1000 students a year. I'd really love to hear where qldman thinks he got that from. Certainly not from the SOM.

Second, there has not been any exorbitant number of failures in 3rd year.

I'm curious as to what qldman thinks the SOM has been lying to students about.

Last edited:
I'm a current UQ MBBS student and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

The administration has lost its mind and wants to increase the student body size indefinitely each year until it reaches the point where it is graduating 1,000 students a year and establishing satellite campuses across Queensland. The school knows it is graduating far more students than QLD Health needs as interns and is willing to lie to students and leave hundreds jobless just so that the medical school administration can take care of their own needs.

The school is also failing Year 3 students at alarming rates as it knows it has such a bloated student population that failing someone not only has no effect on the number of graduates it pumps out, but it also gets extra tuition money from students having to repeat.

The school is essentially running a plantation-style model with its students. Beware.

Tbh, I do not think anyone on here really cares about any Australia related issues. Essentially everyone that would go to UQ that uses this forum/website is from the USA, would apply through UQ-O, and intend to practice medicine in the USA.

The basic idea is that UQ MBBS created an Ipswich campus as a sort of satellite campus project to see how well students would do in a more rural area. Ipswich is actually a great place to study, easy to get about, etc. but the entire intention of the school was to establish a satellite campus, manipulate the marks of its students a bit, and say 'Hey, students do much better in this alternate campus than the main campus in St. Lucia.'

I am not claiming to be the gospel but there rumors/truths about how the school intentionally manipulates the scores and fails fewer students at the Ipswich campus to prove its point--with the ultimate goal of adding another satellite campus in the Sunshine Coast and then even in Central Queensland. Supposedly something like a quarter of the St Lucia cohort failed the OSCE last year and no one failed at the Ipswich campus. 450 vs 40 students I know, but still, it's curious.

The size of each class has risen significantly (over 50 a year, I believe) and the 2016 class I believe now has over 600 (!) students. UQ KNOWS that QH doesn't need this many students graduating a year but is willing to jeopardize the future of its students just to make a greater cashflow. This is not to mention the incredible competition the school is now fostering amongst students to secure internships, let alone specific residencies once actually physicians.

Also, there have been a significant number of students failing individual rotations in year 3 this year. This is mostly going off what I have heard but I know of at least 20 students already who have failed one or more rotations with a 2 and this ineligible for supplementary assessment, meaning they have to waste 8 weeks after 4th year and wait an entire year to apply for internship as theres no longer a mid-year intake. I suppose that's one way to control the internship crisis, in the most disingenuous manner imaginable.

Also, I'm not referring to the USMLE as I have no desire to work in the US--much like pitmann I recognize Australia offers a much better quality of life both within the medical profession (though it's starting to become more like the American system here, sadly) and especially outside of the medical field. I did do well on the USMLE so America/Canada is a backup in case the **** hits the fan here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also I should state that the actual medical education here is perfectly fine. All the students and lecturers are top notch, the clinical education is excellent, and the actual lectures are all excellent. And you get to be in Queensland, which is probably the nicest place in the world to be if you are into surfing and the outdoors. Women are hot out here too.

All of my complaints are directed towards the administration's plantation-style direction and treatment of students and the constant cutbacks that serve to harm only the students.

Tbh, I do not think anyone on here really cares about any Australia related issues. Essentially everyone that would go to UQ that uses this forum/website is from the USA, would apply through UQ-O, and intend to practice medicine in the USA.

False. I think if you look there are plenty of people on here applying to/currently studying at Australian schools who DO care about Australia-related issues. It kind of effects us regardless of whether we choose to stay or not. It would be stupid to put all your eggs in one basket and say "I'm guaranteed a spot back [insert home country here] unless you're on a government funded scholarship to study like some of the Asian countries.

I did do well on the USMLE so America/Canada is a backup in case the **** hits the fan here.

Unless you have PR/citizenship and the Canadian exams, Canada isn't an option.

False. I think if you look there are plenty of people on here applying to/currently studying at Australian schools who DO care about Australia-related issues. It kind of effects us regardless of whether we choose to stay or not. It would be stupid to put all your eggs in one basket and say "I'm guaranteed a spot back [insert home country here] unless you're on a government funded scholarship to study like some of the Asian countries.

Unless you have PR/citizenship and the Canadian exams, Canada isn't an option.

Students in the UQ-O program have no choice but to return back to the USA after graduation. They are basically not permitted to become 4 year UQ students.

Students in the UQ-O program have no choice but to return back to the USA after graduation. They are basically not permitted to become 4 year UQ students.

I thought you go back to the US after 2 years.

I think technically they can that's why there is a 8 week rotation in Australia at the end of year 4.

It's not practical or probable but technically possible yes.

^are you an international? Why do you feel your residency placement chances are low? Did you do good on step 1? More info please.

From what I have read the Ochsner students are doing very well with getting American internships, matching into 'prestigious' residencies (whatever that means) and getting into their field of choice.

I was referring to the Australian internship crisis which is fueled in large part by the greed of the likes of UQ MBBS, and is ultimately screwing an entire generation of future physicians.

As far as I've heard about studying MBBS in UQ, is the large cohort, yet high quality lectures and clinical teaching,, and a nice place out there to live,,

Do anyone here knows about the Monash Gippsland programme?
Recently, I've received offers from both institutions,,, i really dunno how to pick,, appreciate any advice,,,