Urgent Advice needed: MS in Biology 3.3, B.S in Human Anatomy 2.7

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noodles917

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Urgent Advice needed: MS in Biology 3.3, BS in Human Anatomy 2.7

Posted Yesterday at 08:21 PM by noodles917
I am confused. I didn't do so well as an undergrad. I majored in Biomedicine with a concentration in Human Anatomy and graduated with my degree from a foreign medical school. I am American but was away from the states for a while because my parents were diplomats. I got back to the states and took most of my prereqs in my state college and had to repeat Org. Chem 2 since I had an F the first time. Eventually, I left with a gpa of about 2.7 overall and 2.8 science.
I decided to strengthen my credentials by pursuing an MS in Biology (thesis). I have completed all of my coursework and my grad cum gpa is a 3.3 with about 10-12 hours of research. In the meantime, I am still working on completing my thesis research and writing and then defending my thesis.
I worked about 80 hours a week for my research and taught 4 undergraduate classes simultaneously -- for about 1 year. I am a sickle cell patient and my health has contributed in part to my not doing that great. I have worked hard and I want to be a dentist -- so bad!
I take the DAT next month. What chances do I have to get in? Will the adcom even consider me since my grad and undergrad gpas are below average and about average? Should I enroll in a postbac? Should I quit my thesis and change to a non- thesis in order too take more coureswork with the aim of further boosting my grad gpa?
I have done everything in the world? I have taught in a medical school as EC, I have taught nursing students, I am currently shadowing a dentist, etc, etc.
I will appreciate every advice that you can offer.

Total Comments 2
Comments

Members don't see this ad.

i think you have a solid chance if you do well on the DATs... so.. do well on the DATs =)

The graduate GPA will be separate from your undergrad, that will work in your favor.

Do well in the DAT and you will be set to go. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Foreign coursework will not be accepted by American dental schools or factored into your AADSAS GPA calculation. With that said, it would make most sense to enroll in a post-bacc, repeat your required pre-requisites getting all As, and then make application to dental school. Just my $0.02...

Hope this helps,

REH

BioMaxDDS
status_offline.gif

Hi,
I am not sure what advice I can give you. If i were you, I would probably switch back to a nonthesis master (if dental school is what you really wanted to do) and bring up your graduate gpa to around 3.5. Try to get 20+ on DAT. I did really bad during the first two years of undergraduate, ended up with like 5 Ws and 5 Fs. That's one of the reason why I ended up getting a masters degree in Biology to prove to adcoms that I can do it if I put my mind into it. If this is what you really wanted to do, don't give up. Keep trying =)
Let me know if you have anymore questions. BioMaxDDS
status_offline.gif

ok, first, take a deep breath and relax. you're not as bad as you think. just study hard and destroy those DATs. besides that, i would suggest contacting admissions offices for schools you want to apply to and ask them if they can give suggestions for your situation. that'd be straight from the horse's mouth.
good luck.

Thank you all for your advice :). I will be done in the next few months and should ultimately graduate with a 3.6 cum grad gpa. What is left now for me is to rock the DAT!