Urgent: advice needed regarding ID/appointment names for exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pampud

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

So I take my exam on Monday and I'm seeking advice regarding a potential name inconsistency between my ID's and the name on my appointment summary. My ID's obviously include my first, middle, and last name. However, my appointment name is missing my middle name. I'm worried they wont let me test because of this and it's too late to call about it. Has anyone had a similar experience and were or weren't able to take the test?

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

"Two forms of ID. The primary ID must be a current, government issued ID with your photograph and signature. A government ID missing either a photograph or signature is unacceptable. Examples of acceptable primary IDs are a driver's license or a passport/passport card. The secondary ID must contain your signature. Examples of secondary IDs are a debit card, a library card, or a credit card.
The name on both IDs must exactly match the name as it is listed at the top of this email. If this includes a middle name, either the full name or initial is acceptable"

This is what the ADA website has to offer.. Does that last line refer to my ID or the name at the top of my confirmation email email?

This is what is posted in the 2020 Guide. Perhaps someone will have a personal experience. I have also attached the new 2020 DAT Guide

All information provided on the application must be accurate. Candidates must use their legal name. When
including a middle name, use either the full middle name or a middle initial.
If the name on a candidate’s application fails to EXACTLY match the name appearing on IDs brought
to the Administration Vendor test center, the candidate will NOT be permitted to test. As a result, the
testing appointment and application fee will be forfeited and the candidate will be required to submit a
new application and fee before taking the examination.
Changes and corrections to the application (name, birthdate, etc.) must be completed at least two weeks prior
to a scheduled testing appointment. Candidates are responsible for identifying any corrections or omissions and
must notify the testing program at [email protected].

Attachments

• 2020_DAT_Guide.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
Reactions: 1 user
If you were able to sign up for the DAT and make an appointment without putting a middle name then that must mean that middle names are not a required field to enter when signing up to take the DAT. I’m almost 100% positive it doesn’t matter, some forms of secondary ID don’t even have middle names on them.

Edit: And when looking at what was posted above from the ADA website it says “When including a middle name, use either the full middle name or a middle initial”. The key word in that statement is “WHEN”. This makes it sound as if it’s not required to put a middle name, and since you were able to sign up without a middle name that also makes it seem as if it’s not required. So it doesn’t make sense that they would turn you away since you didn’t fill out a field that wasn’t required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same scenario. It wasn't an issue at all when I showed up for the test.

Reactions: 1 users
If you were able to sign up for the DAT and make an appointment without putting a middle name then that must mean that middle names are not a required field to enter when signing up to take the DAT. I’m almost 100% positive it doesn’t matter, some forms of secondary ID don’t even have middle names on them.

Edit: And when looking at what was posted above from the ADA website it says “When including a middle name, use either the full middle name or a middle initial”. The key word in that statement is “WHEN”. This makes it sound as if it’s not required to put a middle name, and since you were able to sign up without a middle name that also makes it seem as if it’s not required. So it doesn’t make sense that they would turn you away since you didn’t fill out a field that wasn’t required.

Thank you so much @Apl101! This was a super reassuring response!