Urgent AMCAS question - answer please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PittMedicine

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for course work year in school, I took 42 credits while in high school, so should I label all of that under High School?

More importantly, what should I put as my year in school for my first two semesters since I'd have over 35 credits during my first year (which is really my freshman year). Do I put freshman or just skip that and put sophmore? If I put Sophmore, then I won't have any freshman courses listed???!!?!?!?

:scared:

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

if you took them in high school, I would imagine you'd write high school..
I don't think they're going by credit when they say freshman, sophomore, etc.. I think you'd write your 1st year of college under freshman and so on.

Ya, I would say use fr/so/jr/sr distictions regarding your year in college, don't include your high school credits for that. I included my high school credits for my standing when I submitted my AMCAS last year and I had corrections all over my form because of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
PittMedicine said:
for course work year in school, I took 42 credits while in high school, so should I label all of that under High School?

More importantly, what should I put as my year in school for my first two semesters since I'd have over 35 credits during my first year (which is really my freshman year). Do I put freshman or just skip that and put sophmore? If I put Sophmore, then I won't have any freshman courses listed???!!?!?!?

Yeah I'm in the same boat...so I called AMCAS yesterday and they said select high school for those credits and then fr/so/jr/sr goes for the year you were in college not by credit hours. The example they gave me was....say you have 45 or 50 credits even though its your first year in college--still select freshman

americanangel said:
Yeah I'm in the same boat...so I called AMCAS yesterday and they said select high school for those credits and then fr/so/jr/sr goes for the year you were in college not by credit hours. The example they gave me was....say you have 45 or 50 credits even though its your first year in college--still select freshman

Exactly. I had high school credits such that my class standing (according to my university) changed on the off semester (In between semesters of each year). I wrote my class standing on AMCAS like this, and I have X's (corrections) on every class for every other semester.

Avalanche21 said:
Exactly. I had high school credits such that my class standing (according to my university) changed on the off semester (In between semesters of each year). I wrote my class standing on AMCAS like this, and I have X's (corrections) on every class for every other semester.
Then Why would you agree with the above statement?

You'll want to designate your status according to your number of college credits obtained, not your year in college. Checkthe AMCAS Instruction Manual for information like this. Here is what information can be found on page 39 of this document.

High School (HS) College-level course work taken while in high school
Freshman (FR) 0-32 semester hours
Sophomore (SO) 31-64 semester hours
Junior (JR) 61-96 semester hours
Senior (SR) 91 or more semester hours
The following rules will help you determine the appropriate AMCAS School Year for all of your
course work (including foreign course work)... [follow the link]

I was wondering about this too. I designated my status by credits, but because I brought in so many AP credits, I was technically a senior for most of my college career. Is this right or should I change it to by year??
:confused:

floridakppr said:
You'll want to designate your status according to your number of college credits obtained, not your year in college. Checkthe AMCAS Instruction Manual for information like this. Here is what information can be found on page 39 of this document.

High School (HS) College-level course work taken while in high school
Freshman (FR) 0-32 semester hours
Sophomore (SO) 31-64 semester hours
Junior (JR) 61-96 semester hours
Senior (SR) 91 or more semester hours
The following rules will help you determine the appropriate AMCAS School Year for all of your
course work (including foreign course work)... [follow the link]

junior 61-96 but then senior is 91 or more..huh?

kristy117 said:
junior 61-96 but then senior is 91 or more..huh?

ask the aamc :)

I took it as meaning that at the start of the semester, if you had 91 or more hours, count it as senior year. If you started the term with less than that, but ended with less than 96, count it as junior (I know this prolly doesnt make any sense, but that was my crazy way of thinking...)

But then I would be a freshman for only one semester!!!???

PittMedicine said:
But then I would be a freshman for only one semester!!!???

you entered w/ over 40 credits.....did you not skip a year?

Yup, that is what the high school designation is for--college credit you took before you actually graduated from high school.

I had basically the same situation as you. By the time I wasn't classified as in high school, I had more than the number of credits to be a freshman. On my amcas application, I had *no* freshman credit listed, just high school then sophmore-senior.

What about college credit received from a post-highschool/pre-college study abroad program? I took some classes on a program in Israel that was accredited by an American university, and then I entered a four-year institution the following year. Should I list these as being from my freshman year?