URGENT DEADLINE: Can MPH lead to Psychology PhD????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ensight21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am in a very unique situation that I would greatly appreciate any advice on. I have been accepted into an MPH program from one of the top schools. However, I have also been accepted into a couple of psychology master's programs in clinical/community psychology. I have no research background and was not a psych undergraduate, thus why I felt compelled to pursue a masters first IF I am going to pursue a doctorate in psychology.

The problem is I have NO idea what I want to really do. I think research, therapy, teaching, and consulting all SOUND good but I have NO idea about the realities of each path and whether I can get my MPH and then be competitive for psychology doctorate programs if I eventually choose that.

CAN ANYONE OFFER ANY ADVICE ON THE REALITIES OF PSYCHOLOGY? And perhaps if anyone has any advice about whether an MPH could lead me to psych doctorate???
I must decide by May 1st.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

An MPH and PhD/PsyD lead to VERY different career paths in entirely different fields. I would not expect an MPH to significantly help you in gaining admission to a PsyD or PhD program. If clinical psych is where your heart is, an MPH is probably not worth the time nor money involved.

I just sent you a message but I also wanted to comment on this page for others who may have some insight because my MAJOR problem is that I have NO idea where my heart is other than just loving to learn and read about psychological theories. However, I know that does not automatically translate to loving psychological practice- clinical or research.

So can anyone offer any insight into the realities of the field with an MA in Clinical/Community psychology? Are there more applied areas outside of just clinical? Areas of consulting?

And what are the realities of pursuing for a doctorate in psychology? Teaching and research?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should volunteer to do psych research or look for some sort of RA job. A clinical phd will definitely involve research, so you need to like it in order to pursue that degree. By volunteering or working, there is less of a financial commitment than a master's.

Is there a specific way to look for RA positions? Websites? etc?

There is a thread further down about this. You can search the NIH website and look for active psychology labs. Another way is to call up/search websites of hospitals in you area and see what research is going on. You may only be able to get a volunteer position, though.

An MPH and PhD/PsyD lead to VERY different career paths in entirely different fields. I would not expect an MPH to significantly help you in gaining admission to a PsyD or PhD program. If clinical psych is where your heart is, an MPH is probably not worth the time nor money involved.

I disagree with this strongly, at least the part about different career paths and different fields.

Its certainly not the most conventional path, and I'm not saying it would necessarily help with admission, but there can be ENORMOUS overlap between the two fields. I've worked with public health folks in the past, I'm sure I will in the future. I know several psychologists in public health departments, or who do work that is primarily of a "public health" nature, and it doesn't seem like a stretch by any means.

If you are this unsure about your interests, and what psychology entails, perhaps it is a bit early to enter a Masters program, no matter what. Just a thought, with the financial responsibilities and time involved.

I disagree with this strongly, at least the part about different career paths and different fields.

Its certainly not the most conventional path, and I'm not saying it would necessarily help with admission, but there can be ENORMOUS overlap between the two fields. I've worked with public health folks in the past, I'm sure I will in the future. I know several psychologists in public health departments, or who do work that is primarily of a "public health" nature, and it doesn't seem like a stretch by any means.

I agree with Ollie-- I in fact interviewed with a professor who had a Ph.D. in clinical psych and an MPH and he was fantastic. He had what I would call a more 'holistic' view and was involved in an amazingly interdisciplinary clinical psychology program. My one piece of advice is to make sure that you are interested in the areas of OVERLAP between the two fields and you should have no problem (this coming from someone who is not yet enrolled in graduate school, mind you). I think and hope the field is becoming more interdisciplinary and if your interests lie in health psychology and/or community psychology I think you will bring a fresh perspective to the table with an MPH.

I feel that either degree could lead to a PhD/PsyD. Currently, I'm an MSW student with plans on applying to PhD Psych. programs and I've never had a professor (Psychology or Social Work) tell me that an MSW couldn't lead to a phD in Psych. That being said, I was an undergraduate in Psychology and I did undergraduate research and because of this I feel I'm at least well oriented to the field. Perhaps a MA in Psych could give you a better feel for all that the items you mentioned: counseling, research, therapy, etc.

Another thing I would consider is what would happen if you stopped after your masters. What jobs would you be happy doing? etc.

Like most of the others said, I do not think that a MPH is that far off from an MA in psychology. I also personally think that the MPH might offer you more flexibility in terms of applying for PhD programs (whether in psychology or something else) later on. If you were certain that you wanted to go on to get your PhD in psych, then the psych MA is probably the safer bet, but if you aren't, then getting your MPH from a top school is probably a better option. Plus, you will probably get a lot of research experience during your MPH that would come in handy for PhD applications (whether in psychology or other areas).
All the best to you!

Last edited:
I thought I should throw my 2 cents in here as I have an MPH and will be going into a clinical psych PhD program this fall. I think what this thread has shown is a representation of what I have found through my interviews - a great deal of respect for the MPH from those that actually know what the degree really teaches you and, a complete misunderstanding of the strong relationship between public health and psychology from those who don't understand. That said, I would not say having an MPH helped me get in to a psych grad program - and often I had to clarify what an MPH was.

However, I think it is a great degree to get if you don't exactly know what you want to do yet (and even if you do). Depending on your concentration (e.g. epidemiology vs. health promotion - and I am guessing if you are torn between public health and psych it would be something similar to the later) you will learn to look at problems from both a global scientific viewpoint and also from a behavioral and theoretical perspective. As such, you would learn whether you like the psychological aspects of the problem or the general public health (more ecological) perspective. And, if you like psychology you can do a lot of research in that area which would make you very competative for a clinical/community PhD program, should you chose to go that route. However, if you know that you are more interested in the individual processess of an illness, I would get you MA in a clinical program.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions!

. Depending on your concentration (e.g. epidemiology vs. health promotion - and I am guessing if you are torn between public health and psych it would be something similar to the later) you will learn to look at problems from both a global scientific viewpoint and also from a behavioral and theoretical perspective.

Not necessarily, I think either can be highly related. Kessler is a name I'm sure everyone here is familiar with, and he pretty much defines epidemiology.

I was strongly considering applying to epidemiology programs and doing that sort of work, since some of my interests can be studied quite easily from that perspective. I settled on clinical because I think the principle advantage of epidemiology was better training in biostats. It was easier for me to get extra stats training as a psychologist than to get extra training in things like neuroscience and psychophysiology as an epidemiologist.

But yes - much respect to the public health/epi folks.

Hi,

An MPH is a great degree to have. I met a woman at a conference who earned an MPH and then went on to get a PhD in clinical psych. She is an excellent researcher and does all sorts of training seminars on how to get published. I would go for it if time and finances allow, but that is just me. :)

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your insight. It is wonderful to know that there are so many of you out there willing to offer some guidance to those just beginning!!!!
Much love!

Hmm. I don't relish being the lone voice of dissent, but, to me, if you apply to psychology Ph.D programs without having a substantial amount of coursework in the field of psychology, then your chances of getting in seem slim. I have great respect for the MPH and would encourage you to pursue it if it interests you. However, I would not look at it as a step to a clinical psych Ph.D program. It seems likely you would also have to go back and take some post-bacc psych classes.

Hmm. I don't relish being the lone voice of dissent, but, to me, if you apply to psychology Ph.D programs without having a substantial amount of coursework in the field of psychology, then your chances of getting in seem slim. I have great respect for the MPH and would encourage you to pursue it if it interests you. However, I would not look at it as a step to a clinical psych Ph.D program. It seems likely you would also have to go back and take some post-bacc psych classes.

I tend to agree. I do not think that it is the fact that you are getting an MPH first then going to the Ph.D, but rather it is the combination of not having an undergradute degree in psychology, no research experience, going to an MPH program, and then pursuing a PhD, in that order, that makes it seem unlikely.

I think that having the MPH with an undergrad degree in Psych is likely to get into a PhD- this is not your situation.

Having minimal exposure to both research and psychology and attemtping to get a PhD by way of a MPH is simply not the best thing to do. It would make it difficult for one to see your passion or basic knowledge of the field itself as you will have completed 6 yrs or more at the collegiate level without sufficient exposure to what psychology and psychological research entails. This will make accepting you as doctoral candidate much too risky, IMHO

To further echo this sentiment, PhD programs sometimes have pre-req classes which are basic psychology classes. So you will probably need to take some classes.

Might be past your deadline but I'm on board with the pro-ph folks. I think it's totally possible.

My MPH program had a focus in human behavior type stuff... that was the route. You could take electives from psych dept as your program electives.

I think the biggest detriment would be that you would lack transfer credit and have the full 6-7 years of psych grad left after the MPH.

However, I don't think it would hurt you at all... especially if it's a top program. Some programs (the top in the nation) even have mental health focuses within the public health program.

Public health, in my opinion, is much better at teaching applied research than master's psych programs. Don't hate me psych folks, I only know my master's psych friends as references... they all did basically the same mild research... derivations of the big stuff... not much original save for a few geniuses...

In public health... there's so much left untouched that you can in any direction.

Long thread to say... I don't think it woudl hurt you... but it will delay the date of your doctorate... I'd guess by a few years.

Good luck.

Do you want to work in hospital administration or in government? If not, why get an MPH? Having an MPH will neither hinder nor enhance your chances of getting in to a doctoral level clinical psych program.