[URGENT] LECOM Erie (DSP) vs. Western U COMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LECOM Erie (DSP) vs. Western U COMP

  • LECOM Erie (Directed Study Pathway)

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Western U COMP

    Votes: 5 83.3%

  • Total voters
    6
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am trying to choose between attending LECOM Erie in the Directed Study Pathway (DSP) vs attending Western U COMP. Both seem to be about similar in prestige/ranking.


LECOM:

PROS:
  • 39-44k Tuition before fees and living expenses
  • Contains two clinical rotation sites that are in relative proximity to where I already live, however the odds appear to lean against me being able to be accepted to either of them due to randomness/luck
  • housing is cheaper, around $1100 for a 1BR

CONS:
  • Erie, PA is not a vibrant location
  • Cold weather
  • Strict rules with dress code and having food/water during class
  • DSP still has some classes that are mandatory and in-person. The first semester is still mandatory in person lectures
  • DSP involves learning through lots of reading rather than watching lectures at higher speeds
  • I believe there are quizzes almost every week
  • Student morale seems to be low

Western U COMP:

PROS:
  • Location and weather as it is in LA County.
  • Recorded lectures

CONS:
  • 67k tuition before fees and living expenses
  • Rent is on the higher end, around $1800-2000 for a 1BR.
  • Further away from family

SUMMARY: LECOM is much cheaper and contains two rotation sites I would be enthusiastic about if I get accepted into those. However, Western U COMP is in a vibrant location with less strict rules and with recorded lectures.
 

Cheaper. Sure, you'll need to be disciplined with your learning, but that's what a "directed study" pathway presumes about your maturity and capabilities as a self-motivated learner. If you need a "vibrant city" and "morale" to be a good student... is it worth an additional $20K tuition plus travel/COA differences?
 
It seems like youd be happier at Western U, the prestige/money ration is lower for WesternU, but its 4 years of your life, recorded lectures would also be a great pro tbh, I don't know if I could learn purely from active learning and reading. the additional 100ish thousand you take on is not insignificant but your happiness is worth it.