Urgent! Psychometrist job prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sighke

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've a B.S in psych, but I'm looking into being a psychometrist with kids/research, and would really appreciate real-world feedback from annnny current/experienced-in psychometrist on:

1. A day-in-the-life
2. Skills to have/pickup along the way to get this
3. Upsides/Downsides of the job

Any help at would mean much! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Biggest suggestions I can give you are to be: 1) very open to, and receptive of feedback/constructive criticism; 2) detail-oriented; 3) timely; and 3) open/honest (e.g., if you don't understand something, make a mistake, etc.)

Reactions: 1 user
Biggest suggestions I can give you are to be: 1) very open to, and receptive of feedback/constructive criticism; 2) detail-oriented; 3) timely; and 3) open/honest (e.g., if you don't understand something, make a mistake, etc.)
This.

It's a lot of testing, so that means very detailed work. It's not always the most exciting thing to administer testing (although it can get spirited at times, depending on the client/purpose/ect.) It also means being exposed to something that you do not know how to do (because it's not a skill trained for UG degrees). Those of us in the assessment world know and expect this, so this is why the points above are critical and expected.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I worked part-time my first two years of grad school and loved it! The only con is that it can get very repetitive... I probably recite the WAIS in my sleep. :p But that also depends if they have you administer a specific battery or if the population is diverse. My clinic was neuro so it was always the same tests, plus or minus a few. I was also allowed to leave when I was done, yet I preferred to score the same day so I wouldn't get behind. Still, about half of the time I only worked 6 hours. I always thought that would be a great career for a parent!

Big yes to the above. And I'll add... DOUBLE CHECK your scoring and your age calculations. Every time. Ask questions. Also if you're testing kids, take initiative to wipe down the materials with some clorox wipes periodically... and keep some snacks around (if your supervisors/organization allows) in case your clients failed to eat breakfast (I've been shocked how often this happens. of course ask about allergies and ask parents for permission first). Score and do write up of behavioral stuff on the same day as much as possible because after you've tested a few kids several days in a row it'll start to run together. Plus your supervisors will appreciate your timeliness.