Quantcast

URGENT: When should I take the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moose786

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hello all,

I am going to explain my situation and thought process as clearly as possible, so please bear with me: I am currently a rising Senior, looking to apply in the "first batch" - which from my research is roughly until mid-July. I am currently studying for my DAT, which I have scheduled for July 5. I am done with content, but obviously need to still be reviewing content as I do the Destroyer and then later on DAT Bootcamp. I have made a 15 day routine for myself to finish DAT Destroyer - twice for the chemistry sections, once for the Bio section, 15 tests Math (which I love to do, but need to work on timing), and daily PAT training on Bootcamp. This way, I will have 10 days to do Bootcamp and really get a better assessment of how I will do on the actual exam.

However, I have a summer class that begins on July 7 (Systems Physiology). It is a class more difficult than Orgo at my school -- my school is also notorious for having a very tough Orgo curriculum (lol). Anyways, the easier professor teaches during summer and my schedule during the Fall semester would be a lot more doable (to get all As with a number of difficult classes) if I did not take Systems Physiology during the Fall.

So my main concern is this: what if I am not ready by July 5? And as in ready, I mean confident to get 21+ AA. I have decided that I am willing to not take Systems Physiology if it comes to that case. However, I want to know how long can I extend my DAT until? July 15? August 15? In other threads, people keep saying to make sure to take it in summer and obviously, July 5th would be most ideal. However, I want to know a safe date that I should apply by to have a solid chance of getting an interview. The date doesn't necessarily have to put me in the "first batch," but preferably a "batch" in which I am still considered a relatively early applicant so that I have an almost equal playing ground as those who submit their application in the "first batch". I would ideally want to do August 15 because I feel that if I do take it then, I would absolutely dominate it and get the scores I want. As of now, I can't say anything because I have yet to test my skills on Bootcamp (which I will be doing around June 25-30). I know I am doing things relatively last-minute, but please try not to judge :( . Thank you all in advance!

moose786

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh and also! I guess I made it seem that I won't be submitting my application, but it should be submitted by next Friday (June 17). I know that if my app is submitted and if dental schools look at it and don't see a DAT score, they skip it until my scores are in. So that's what my question is really asking about in terms of a safe date that I should take the DAT by at maximum to be in the safe zone. In other words, let's say they look at my application at August 1 and my DAT scores are not in, would I still be good if I took my DAT at - let's say August 5? I know it takes a bit of time for them to receive the scores, too, but I hope my concerns are clear. Let me know if you have any questions for me, too!

moose786

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also! People who have gotten interviews and/or gotten in to schools: it is welcome for you to share your stats!

Example: Submitted Application June 30. Took DAT in September. Applied 15 schools. 10 Interviews. 4 acceptances.

Thank you once again! Hopefully, people reply :( give me your guidance, you beautiful, generous souls.

Likkriue

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
You take it when you are ready, that's it. There will be a 2-4 week time for the scores to go up for your app. Applying in August is not considered late but don't push it pass September. Goodluck.

moose786

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I mentioned that I will find out if I'm ready by June 25. I am just trying to plan a little ahead in the event that I do not feel super confident in getting my goal scores by June 25-30. Trying to see how significant of a difference it would be if I were to take them on July 5 vs. August 5. Sick scores, btw.

Rand627

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware, first batch is late June, not mid July. But most people will tell you that it doesn't make much of a difference between first and second batch.

cacajuate

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would do bio section of destroyer at least twice. It's the toughest section of the sciences.

schmoob

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Give yourself a few more weeks. First batch, 5th batch, doesn't matter. You can send out your app within the next few weeks and study while they verify your transcripts, etc. It won't matter if you send it out first batch if your app is incomplete.
I say send it out as soon as you can, and push your DAT back a few weeks. Take it once and rock it the first time. August 1st sounds like a good date to take the test, no? You don't want to go in there not confident in your preparation; it will cause anxiety and you will do worse. Better to have a stronger application a few weeks later.