URM-International Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Summermitz102

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i'm an international student studying at an American Undergraduate school, I have begun my AMCAS applications and was wondering if i should list myself as disadvantaged or not. My family are economically disadvantaged and the foreign exchange rates are rapidly declining at home. Also my cgpa is 3.73 and my sgpa is 3.75 i haven't taken my mcat's as yet, but i was wondering if these are good enough to get in with. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, i'm an international student studying at an American Undergraduate school, I have begun my AMCAS applications and was wondering if i should list myself as disadvantaged or not. My family are economically disadvantaged and the foreign exchange rates are rapidly declining at home. Also my cgpa is 3.73 and my sgpa is 3.75 i haven't taken my mcat's as yet, but i was wondering if these are good enough to get in with. Thanks for your help!

URM or not, ur challenge is primarily ur status as an international students. Many schools flat out don't consider foreign students and the ones that do tend to have stiff competition. However, there's always a chance but u need a strong application.

When will u apply? If this year, u better take the MCAT soon so that ur application is too late. Remember, u need every possible advantage.

Without ur MCAT & ECs, no one can gauge ur chances, also ur better off posting at the WAMC (more traffic..)

GL

I think you have a chance. I applied and got into med school as an international student but here are some things you must do.

1) Apply early. I mean that goes without saying but as an international student you really want to apply early.

2) Apply selectively. Take a look at this link and apply to schools that actually take international students instead of wasting crap loads of money. http://www2.fiu.edu/~preprofc/International_Students_School_Policies.htm

3) Get your finances in check. When you get accepted you are paying for med school by yourself. Uncle Sam isn't giving international students federal money so you have to get a US cosigner (with good credit) and get a private loan through a bank. Also start looking for scholarships and grants now.

If you need any more advice message me and good luck homey.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get great MCAT scores and are competitive in other areas, such as research, ECs, volunteer work, shadowing, etc., apply to a broad range of schools, including top-tier private schools as well. Top-tier private schools tend to have more money and tend to have more private funding which they can give to international students, IF THEY WANT. There are some private schools out there that are drowning in money and still won't consider international students, or worse yet, if they consider them, still won't give them funding. Also, ensure to have a US cosigner who is willing to sign for private loans from banks, if all else fails.

Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!:thumbup:

Congrats!!! Which school did you get into? If you dont mind, please share the list of medical schools that you applied for..

Thanks